Piano World Home Page
Posted By: fatar760 Piano and Stool height - 01/05/16 10:00 PM
Hey,

I'm after a little of advice regarding my (digital)piano/stool height. I understand that my arms should be parallel with the floor, shoulder relaxed and back straight.

I know it'd be easier to get someone round to have a look but thought I'd ask here. I'm basically not convinced my piano/stool heights are correct.

My (non-adjustable) stool is 50cm tall. Tonight I've raised the keyboard height so that the key-bed is 74cm from the floor. I feel this is all too tall and yet, still, my arms are slightly slanting down to the key bed.

Short of buying an adjustable stool (which is quite pricey) does any one have any advice on how I can get the correct set up for my practise sessions? How did you work out your ideal height?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Posted By: JohnSprung Re: Piano and Stool height - 01/05/16 10:13 PM

Slightly slanting down is preferable to slightly slanting up. If it's comfortable for long term use, then it's OK. The other very important thing is to get the pedal in a comfortable place. If you have to reach with your leg or keep constant tension to keep your foot up, that'll give you trouble.

Posted By: JoBert Re: Piano and Stool height - 01/05/16 11:10 PM
How about an adjustable keyboard bench? I've got the K&M 14066 which is of decent quality, adjustable in several steps and costs less than 40£ at Thomann.
Posted By: Charles Cohen Re: Piano and Stool height - 01/06/16 12:42 AM
Originally Posted by JohnSprung

Slightly slanting down is preferable to slightly slanting up. If it's comfortable for long term use, then it's OK.

+1. (I don't teach, John does).

Your keyboard height is within the "normal range" for acoustic pianos, I think. People have different proportions. If you're "short-waisted", you'll need a taller bench than someone who's "long-waisted". Similar changes for longer / shorter upper-arm (humerus) bones.

Check your local music store for a "drum throne". They're adjustable-height, and work nicely as piano stools. Prices vary, according to how well they're padded, and how robust they are (drummers move around a lot). Adjustable "X-benches" aren't very expensive -- around $50 US at Sweetwater.com .

Posted By: JohnSprung Re: Piano and Stool height - 01/06/16 01:47 AM
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
(I don't teach, John does).

Actually I don't, except for teaching myself.

Posted By: Farmerjones Re: Piano and Stool height - 01/06/16 02:59 AM
Been there. I'm 75 inches. My knees don't fit under a standard height keybed. But if i ever play a piano other than my own, i need it to feel same same. So i built table to put my DP at average height. Got me an adjustable bench. Jacked it up as far as it goes, and basically learned to deal with it. I figure if Hornsby can deal with it. I can too. I tell you what, i played a standup rig at a gig last summer. I had to stand on one foot to pedal. I won"t be doing that again.
Posted By: Thrill Science Re: Piano and Stool height - 01/06/16 06:55 PM
I like using an adjustable bench. I go through moods where I want to try different heights. I'm rarely comfortable at the same height for long.

Sometimes when my back is bothering me I'll use a foam wedge with a little cutout so there's no pressure on the coccyx/tailbone (like this)

[Linked Image]

and other times I like to use a drummers throne, which aren't too expensive compared to benches. These are good if you have long arms and need to rotate more than slide back and forth.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Farmerjones Re: Piano and Stool height - 01/06/16 08:38 PM
Those drum thrones with a gas spring support are really comfy. But honestly, I don't know how Billy Joel can do it. I do too much lateral scooting. Billy might have casters on his.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums