Piano World Home Page
Hi,
We have recently discovered that our C.Bechstein Model 9 Upright Piano is approx. 105 years old, manufactured in 1909. We don't know a whole lot about piano's and have no idea what something like this would be worth (if its worth anything at all). It is in good condition and still plays well. We're not looking for anything detailed, just a very rough idea so we know whether its worth keeping next time we move.
Thanks in advance thumb
It depends on your location and the condition of the machine. At that time it was offered in:

Blackwood 63 Guineas.
Rosewood, mahogany or walnut 68 Guineas.
"Sheraton" Mahogany 75 Guineas.
"Sheraton" satinwood 80 Guineas.
In solid case for tropical climates with exotic action 70 Guineas.

If you are in UK I recommend that you contact Besbrode Pianos.
Hi Justpiano00,
Welcome to Piano World! Expressions like "good condition" and "plays well" are not very precise in describing the condition of a used piano and a photo of the instrument and more detailed information about it would be helpful.

More detail about the piano could include any restorative work it has had, a more detailed description of its appearance, information about its history of care and maintenance. How often has the piano been tuned?

The reality is that most people do not want to buy an old vertical piano when they can buy affordable, new upright pianos. Sadly, most potential buyers have never heard of C.Bechstein.

The Model 9 is an overstrung vertical piano and if it is in immaculate condition it could be worth AU$1500-$3000. Your piano tuner should be able to give you a more accurate valuation.

Good luck!
Robert.
As already mentioned, condition is all important.
Could you provide several external photos, also with the top and lower panels removed to give an idea of the internal condition.
Does it look and sound anything like THIS one? Personally that sound isn't to my taste at all, but I'll let the experts decide if that is how it should sound.
As a ball-park figure, a quick Google also shows others for sale, recently fully restored from 6-7000GBPounds.

To be honest, not all that much. Also, I think a fully restored Bechstein for £7000 is really stretching things a little unless you really, really, really want that particular piano and have the money.

If you're talking about a Bechstein that is playable and holds its tuning (which it might not after it adjusts to a new environment), that is 105 years old, I guess you could be looking at £500 for something not restored. If the case is in perfect condition you might get more for it as a piece of furniture. Put it this way, if someone offered you £500, take it. If someone offered you £1000 take it and don't flinch. Any more than £1000 would be a miracle sale.
Posted By: AJF Re: Value of a C.Bechstein 105 year old piano - 06/18/14 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by joe80
To be honest, not all that much. Also, I think a fully restored Bechstein for £7000 is really stretching things a little unless you really, really, really want that particular piano and have the money.

If you're talking about a Bechstein that is playable and holds its tuning (which it might not after it adjusts to a new environment), that is 105 years old, I guess you could be looking at £500 for something not restored. If the case is in perfect condition you might get more for it as a piece of furniture. Put it this way, if someone offered you £500, take it. If someone offered you £1000 take it and don't flinch. Any more than £1000 would be a miracle sale.

Considering its a Bechstein I think your numbers are way low. I recently saw a 1912 rebuilt Bechstein B (grand) sell for almost $40K locally.
I don't see why a well rebuilt upright from that vintage wouldn't sell for around $7K. Bechsteins were the top of the heap 100 years ago.
Yes they were but in the UK market old uprights are simply not in demand, so it probably has a lot to do with which market you're in - I mean which country you're in.

If you look at Besbrode pianos, in UK, you will see almost every model of Bechstein of every age and in every state or repair or disrepair. Just look at their prices and you will get an idea.

Certainly no shortage of old Bechsteins in UK. They were the number 1 selling top tier piano prior to 1914.
As the OP has not got back to us with any more specific details about the condition of the piano it is not possible to give any realistic idea of its value.
I once had a Model 10 Bechstein upright piano which had been refitted with new Renner hammers. It was circa 1912 and was a lovely piano. Sadly, with age, the hide based glue degraded and the piano lost tone in the treble.

Unless someone has a special attachment to one of these very old, top tier vertical pianos, the cost of a complete, quality rebuild would be more than the value of the piano. Of course, that equation does not apply to grand pianos.

Kind regards,

Robert.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums