link: Steinway joins digital makers
Posted By: Minnesota Marty Re: It was only a matter of time - 04/01/14 11:06 PM
I weep on the floor as I roll.
Posted By: 4evrBeginR Re: It was only a matter of time - 04/01/14 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
I weep on the floor as I roll.

As I knew you would... grin
Posted By: Rickster Re: It was only a matter of time - 04/01/14 11:24 PM
Well, two of my grand pianos were purchased from churches that got rid of their acoustic piano and went to digital pianos. Maybe Steinway is on to something...

They certainly have the name recognition.

Rick
Posted By: Minnesota Marty Re: It was only a matter of time - 04/02/14 12:11 AM
Originally Posted by 4evrBeginR
As I knew you would... grin

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rickster Re: It was only a matter of time - 04/02/14 02:44 AM
Okay, I see it's an April fool's joke...

So what... I still think Steinway would sell a boat load of them... grin

Rick
Posted By: DanS Re: It was only a matter of time - 04/02/14 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by Rickster
Well, two of my grand pianos were purchased from churches that got rid of their acoustic piano and went to digital pianos.

That's just sad.
Posted By: Piano*Dad Re: It was only a matter of time - 04/02/14 11:59 AM
Given the ambient conditions in many churches (poor humidity control, for instance), the resistance to spend on regular maintenance, and the level of general ignorance among church decision makers about the piano as a machine, switching to a digital can make very good sense.
Posted By: DanS Re: It was only a matter of time - 04/02/14 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
Given the ambient conditions in many churches (poor humidity control, for instance), the resistance to spend on regular maintenance, and the level of general ignorance among church decision makers about the piano as a machine, switching to a digital can make very good sense.

I couldn't disagree more. Having a good acoustic instrument will attract better a better player/players which ultimately helps fill the seats and thus brings in more money. The price of upkeep for the first few years is cheaper on a digital, but they have a much shorter lifespan, especially in a busy church.
Posted By: Piano*Dad Re: It was only a matter of time - 04/02/14 06:10 PM
You're arguing why they shouldn't. I'm offering reasons why they do. Apple meets orange.

Now, about those Steinway digitals!
Posted By: 4evrBeginR Re: It was only a matter of time - 04/02/14 06:53 PM
I hate to say, but piano music of late in our parish is not exactly inspiring. Oh, hope they are not reading.... The lady who is an institution on her own, has been there as long as the building, and really won't make much of a difference on a digital acoustic or otherwise. I don't think it would change the attendance one way or another. We don't go there for a recital. The piano lid is usually closed and the rear of the church couldn't hear so well, which is just as well given the condition of that thing, so a digital that could connect directly into the AV system may be a good thing.
Posted By: JohnSprung Re: It was only a matter of time - 04/02/14 07:10 PM

Maybe it depends on your religion. Some of them are more musical than others.

Posted By: Minnesota Marty Re: It was only a matter of time - 04/02/14 07:45 PM
[Linked Image]

(*Fake Cabinet Optional)
Posted By: WimPiano Re: It was only a matter of time - 04/02/14 07:50 PM
Word is it that they will also introduce a special line for beginning artists: "My first steinway". Available colors pink, green and blue.
Posted By: Piano*Dad Re: It was only a matter of time - 04/02/14 07:54 PM
Will the beginning artists have to pledge to use that line exclusively? Even at lessons?
Posted By: DanS Re: It was only a matter of time - 04/02/14 10:41 PM
Looks like about a $30k keyboard to me
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums