Piano World Home Page
I was at my local dealership today trying out a new grand. The salesman went through the normal lines, talking up his brand and taking some swipes at others. I wasnt surprised by any of it, except one comment.

He explained that "some makers merely season their pianos for destination." His pianos, he said, are "fully marinated for destination."

I tried to get specifics, but he said it was very technical. All he would say is the marinating helps to give his pianos a broader tonal palette, and adds a robust flavor to the sound. "Everyone knows marinating is better than merely throwing on some seasoning," he said.

So I've been left kind of confused.

Has anyone had experience with marinated pianos? How to they compare to pianos which are "merely" seasoned?
There was a movie about that, actually called The Piano. The title piano ended up totally marinated.
One would need the specific recipes to compare. Tonal massage can have very tasty results.
Hmmm. I might be tempted to check the calendar, today being April 1, before researching any piano "recipes." wink
No matter the recipe, all pianos wind up tasting stringy.

Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
No matter the recipe, all pianos wind up tasting stringy.

You haven't tried my basted Bluthner brisket - it melts in your mouth.
I personally prefer stewed pianos to either seasoned or marinated. Especially marinated.
I had to settled for a seasoned one. Though the comment of my tech as he prepped my piano at home was encouraging, "for a raw piano, that's pretty darn good." So, as long as the seasoning is good, you can skip the marinate.
I asked for ceviche when my new Sous-Marin & Fils was prepped.

Not all pianos need to be Well, ya know. What's done is done.
Neither. I'll have a tuna sandwich.
It is a sad thing when a piano gets marinated.

Finally - The perfect piano for La cath├ędrale engloutie!
Before making a decision, please read the Well-Marinated Piano by JS Block.
Originally Posted by Jim Frazee
Before making a decision, please read the Well-Marinated Piano by JS Block.

Speaking of seasons, 'tis the season for his son, HNR Block.
The companion volume is also absorbing.

Die gut gew├╝rzt Klavier
If the listener is sufficiently marinated, the condition of the piano becomes less relevant.
I highly recommend Joe's Bar & Pianer Shoppe
Frank,

Seasoned or Marinated - you gotta develop a better taste in piano dealerships. wink
Originally Posted by malkin
If the listener is sufficiently marinated, the condition of the piano becomes less relevant.

Ah, that explains the full service bars beyond the entry and at every floor of the SF Symphony....
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums