Piano World Home Page

Boston GP163 or Yamaha GC2?

Posted By: Dancing finger

Boston GP163 or Yamaha GC2? - 12/16/13 02:53 PM

Hi, I am the new to this forum.
I am looking for a grand piano, after 2 weeks browsing, now I have 2 in my mind. One is GP 163 used piano, 2005; the other one is Brand new GC2. For the touch and tone, these two are both ok for me. I need some recommendations. Which one is better. Oh, and the price, boston offered 15,000, Yamaha offered 20,000. Are the price reasonable?
Thanks. help
Posted By: beethoven986

Re: Boston GP163 or Yamaha GC2? - 12/16/13 03:30 PM

I'd rather have the Boston.
Posted By: Jolly

Re: Boston GP163 or Yamaha GC2? - 12/16/13 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dancing finger
Hi, I am the new to this forum.
I am looking for a grand piano, after 2 weeks browsing, now I have 2 in my mind. One is GP 163 used piano, 2005; the other one is Brand new GC2. For the touch and tone, these two are both ok for me. I need some recommendations. Which one is better. Oh, and the price, boston offered 15,000, Yamaha offered 20,000. Are the price reasonable?
Thanks. help

Location. Location. Location.

Markets and the pianos available are locally driven. I don't know where you are, so my opinion is less than it could be.

Of the two, with no other reference point, the Boston would be my choice.
Posted By: Minnesota Marty

Re: Boston GP163 or Yamaha GC2? - 12/16/13 04:29 PM

I agree. The Boston would be my choice based on general familiarity, rather than of two specific pianos.

The bottom line is - Which do you prefer?

As far as price is concerned, it does depend on location. In my area, the Boston is right on target and the Yamaha is a bit high. Do both pianos have the same perks? Delivery, tunings, warranty on the Boston, etc.?

Re: Boston GP163 or Yamaha GC2? - 12/16/13 08:08 PM

Thanks , Jolly. I am in Maryland

Re: Boston GP163 or Yamaha GC2? - 12/16/13 08:22 PM

It is hard to say which one that I prefer. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. I only can say, they both ok for me. But hard to choose is because one is used and the other is new. And the price are different frown

So, base on the location of maryland. What price is good to buy them? Btw, Boston doesn't have free tuning and warranty. And excluding delivery. What do you think?
Posted By: Minnesota Marty

Re: Boston GP163 or Yamaha GC2? - 12/16/13 08:25 PM

Hopefully, someone in the D.C. market will chime in on the pricing.

I prefer the sound of the Boston, however, and it is a good price.
Posted By: Troy 125

Re: Boston GP163 or Yamaha GC2? - 12/16/13 08:31 PM

What is the history of the Boston? I assume it is being sold privately since there is no delivery/tuning?
Posted By: Steve Cohen

Re: Boston GP163 or Yamaha GC2? - 12/16/13 08:55 PM

I'd add the Kawai GE-30 to the list of considerations.

But between the two alternatives given, I'd lean to the one that sounds and feels best to you.

[BTW, we are in Maryland, just behind BWI Airport.]

Re: Boston GP163 or Yamaha GC2? - 12/16/13 09:07 PM

Thanks , Jolly. I am in Maryland

I know you've narrowed it down to two, but what all have you played/considered?
Posted By: Mike Carr

Re: Boston GP163 or Yamaha GC2? - 12/17/13 02:12 AM

Dancing,

Unless anyone has played and inspected these individual pianos, and given the swings in general playability not only in new pianos of the same make, but the larger swings in used pianos contingent on condition, on a forum such as this, preference for brand is generally based on what people or their friends sell or own.

That may be fine since you are still forming an opinion, as long as it doesn't lead to a purchase based on someone else's preference or commercial interest. In other words your dream of Jeannie may be different than theirs.

Suggestions to play every piano out their are often subtle hints to keep playing until you steer or light on a brand they or their friends want to sell you.

I'd look at internet pricing suggestions skeptically unless someone is willing to write the check for you. Buying and selling anything is about thinking on your feet and knowing what you want and what's out there.

Just something to be aware of.

Mike

Re: Boston GP163 or Yamaha GC2? - 12/17/13 03:31 AM

It is hard to say which one that I prefer. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. I only can say, they both ok for me. But hard to choose is because one is used and the other is new. And the price are different frown

So, base on the location of maryland. What price is good to buy them? Btw, Boston doesn't have free tuning and warranty. And excluding delivery. What do you think?

1. I think as other folks have said, that the price of the Boston is spot on.

2. I also think that you may want to bump up a few more pianos against the Yamaha. Steve suggested a Kawai GE30. I would add a Brodmann PE 187, a Hailun HG198, Ritmuller GH 188 and a Cunningham Matchless 5'10".

That gives you several choices, all within budget. You might like one of these...or you may come back to the Boston or Yamaha.

Choice is good.
Posted By: frenchflip

Re: Boston GP163 or Yamaha GC2? - 12/17/13 07:05 AM

I have a 2006 Yamaha and would go for the Boston were I to do it again.
Posted By: joe80

Re: Boston GP163 or Yamaha GC2? - 12/18/13 05:09 PM

Between a GC2 and a Boston, I'd go for the Boston. Between a C2(X) and a Boston, it would be a hard battle.

Personally I WOULDNT put a Brodmann 187 in that mix, having owned one. Yes they're decent pianos, but they (or weren't at the time I bought mine) are not in the league of the Boston.
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums