Piano World Home Page
Hello:

I'm new to this forum, although I've searched around for info on the Acrosonic line of Baldwin spinets. (Yes, I know spinets don't get much respect, but it's what I inherited).

Specifically, I have an Acrosonic model 990, manufactured in 1965 or thereabouts. It was given to me by my aunt as part of her estate...twenty two years ago. I haven't played it much since, and it hasn't been tuned in that time. (I know...shame on me).

My questions:

What, if anything, is unique about the Acrosonic line? I was once told that there was something unusual about the action that made it superior to other spinets. I think I had also heard many years ago that the Acrosonic was capable of greater volume or dynamic range (excuse my wording -- I'm not much of a musician, obviously) than the typical spinet. Or is it really "just another spinet"?

Lately I feel like I'd like to resume playing after all these years but I'm wondering if this otherwise well-cared for, never-abused instrument can be tuned and voiced to its original beautiful sound. Some keys stick and the high end is kind of dull compared to the way it sounded when my late aunt played it.

Sorry for the length of the post, and thanks.
What, if anything, is unique about the Acrosonic line?
Availability ( a ton of them were sold) and durability ( they are the Timex watch of pianos. They take a licking and keep on ticking).

Availability and durability work together. Old Acrosonics for sale are easy to find.
Acrosonic also had a "full size" action compared to the smaller actions in other spinets. Its tone and action were quite good for a spinet. I also agree with Turandot that they are plentiful and durable little pianos.
Just when I think I have seen every cabinet style made as an Acrosonic, after 30+ years in the business, I see another. As a group, the best spinets ever made in touch, tone, and durability.
I love those pianos. If you've delivered them you know they are the heaviest and best-built little pianos ever. Look at the back casters. You can't see them. They are recessed into the bottom allowing the longest potential string length and soundboard area. Oddly enough, nearly every one I've had (100+) accompanied the original bench, meaning the benches were well built also.
Thanks all...you've clarified a lot of what I had once heard.

When I inherited this piano, it replaced a nondescript spinet that we had in our family when I was growing up, a Cable-Nelson, I think. I can remember when my aunt bought this Acrosonic -- I felt like I was sitting at a concert grand. Even though I was just a kid who was still using John Thompson's
"Teaching Little Fingers To Play book" (hence my screen name here) I remember how rich and full-bodied its sound seemed, especially compared to my family's spinet or the Wurlitzer that my other aunt had.

That's also why I was surprised to read some of the the disparaging comments I had seen elsewhere about Baldwin spinets, this line in particular. Thanks for your opinions.
I haven't played very many Acrosonic spinets, but the ones I HAVE played, I have really liked them overall.

This may surprise some of you that hate Wurlitzer spinets, but I have friends in town that have a 1950s Wurlitzer spinet that still sounds and plays quite well for a spinet, holds its tune fairly well, AND still looks good. If I had to judge my opinion of Wurlitzer spinets based solely on that piano, it could easily rank a close second to Acrosonics.

(quick note: I just changed my avatar to depict 2 of my favorite pianos (a grand and a vertical) - is there any way to get it to show on my older posts? Also, would it be a good idea to put a pic of my business card in my signature? (I could PM someone a pic of it for inspection.)

Another "?".... Are there, or have there ever been, any spinets that, to summarize a partial spec list to follow, are as well designed as a typical Tier 1A piano? For example, using toe blocks like taller uprights do, music desk spanning the entire width of the piano like a Hamilton, a full perimeter plate, a true full sostenuto pedal, a Fandrich action, a GOOD scale design (using whatever it takes - high enough break to run trichords all the way down to the break? a separate return bridge in the tenor?), no hockeystick in the tenor section of the long bridge, bridges notched on both sides, "reverse curve" bass bridge, solid spruce soundboard, anything else I missed?
Acrosonics have far more fans than detractors, and they're not just a sentimental favorite of families and casual players: they get praise from industry professionals, too. (They're still spinets, sure, but that's otherwise pretty unheard of.)

IIRC, some Acrosonic models over the years were actually considered consoles. I admit I don't know the exact technical difference; is it a question of height, or whether it's a drop action or direct-blow action ... or both?

I've seen vintage Acrosonics from different eras, including midcentury modern, with very distinguished cabinetry.

88Key, I've always been reluctant to think my experience with a Wurlitzer spinet was representative, but it's interesting that positive impressions aren't uncommon. My mother had a mid-60s Kimball console and my aunt a Wurlitzer spinet from the same period. I spent many hours playing both, and preferred the Wurlitzer's tone and touch. (It's a comparison between two mediocre instruments, but a spinet wasn't supposed to be even that good!)

Steven
LF, Find a tuner/technician experienced in re-conditioning used pianos. With some hammer shaping, regulation, pitch raising and fine tuning, you will have a very nice small piano.
The ones I've seen were all low end pianos.

Especially in comparison to what's on the market today.

Hope not to offend anyone...

Norbert
I'm not offended, but spinets are inherently low-end pianos ... and aren't made today. smile

Wouldn't you concede that Acrosonics were high-end spinets?

Steven

p.s. to 88Key: A new avatar will automatically appear on all old posts, but it won't take effect immediately. The same is true for any update to your sig line.
I had an Acrosonic for over 40 years before I got a Mason BB. Now I want to switch back!
I think what someone was referring to w/regards to the action was that most, and maybe all Acrosonics (can't remember) had "drop actions". I'm sure you can do an internet search for Baldwin Acrosonic Drop Action and get a description as well as pictures. Briefly, the action sits below the level of the keyboard as you will see. I know of acrosonics that my friend's folks had when I was in High School in the early 60's that are still being played! Enjoy your piano!
DL
They IMHO are the top of the Spinets. The Acrosonic Spinet and Console both used the same action The person above this post with the name thats too long to type is right. It was below the keyboard.The Hamilton had the other action.
Most of the Acrosonic spinets are getting very old as most were made just before or after WWII. While they were well built, most need new strings and hammers...more of an investment than the piano is worth.
Originally posted by Kawai RX-5 and Technics SXPR 305:
I think what someone was referring to w/regards to the action was that most, and maybe all Acrosonics (can't remember) had "drop actions". I'm sure you can do an internet search for Baldwin Acrosonic Drop Action and get a description as well as pictures. Briefly, the action sits below the level of the keyboard as you will see. I know of acrosonics that my friend's folks had when I was in High School in the early 60's that are still being played! Enjoy your piano!
DL
Ah ha! That reminds me of what one of my home remodelers commented on as he walked through my living room one day. He took one look at my piano and commented on the unusual dimensions of the upper cabinetry and wanted to know what kind of action it had...he said he had never seen a spinet with those proportions. Mine is a sort of modernistic-looking style, with a very sleek, minimal top over the sound board and hammer area. All I knew at that point was that Acrosonic meant something different from other spinets; he wasn't familiar with it.
I have seen all variations of Acrosonics. There are many that are simply very well built, nice looking pianos that play well and sound good.

There are also Acrosonics that were built on the cheap, have horrible action and tone and very dull looking cabinets.

They are not all equal by any stretch. A mid 60s Acrosonic? Hmmm .... maybe a good one. I'd have to see it.

The mid 70s to mid 80s were probably the worst ones.
I'm more confused than before.

Isn't a drop action a defining characteristic of a spinet piano? Was the "Acrosonic Drop Action" different in design from other makers' drop actions? Was it used in all Acrosonics, even the ones that were referred to as consoles?

RK, do you think the variability in quality you've seen correlates to the period when the pianos were built, or have you seen good ones as well as dogs of the same vintage?

Steven
To repeat myself, The console and the spinet had the same action. It was not a direct blow action.
The design of it was slightly different then other spinets. I'm not technical enough to tell you the differences, but it was an indirect action in both.I agree the one's from the 60's were made better. 70's they started down.IMHO
Originally posted by VGrantano:
To repeat myself, The console and the spinet had the same action. It was not a direct blow action.
I had thought drop action and spinet were synonymous.

I guess all spinets have drop actions, but not all drop actions are in spinets—and a console can thus be defined by the height of the cabinet alone?

Still, I don't think that's most people's understanding. I wonder if it caused any marketing issues for Baldwin. Did other makers make console pianos with drop actions?

Steven
I am a bit confused, I still have my 1996 Baldwin Console, also labeled Acrosonic. The hammers dampers etc are all above the key level. So this is direct blow, not dropped?
The original Acrosonics were spinets. Later on, Baldwin used "Acrosonic" for models other than spinets.

My favorite spinet is the Yamaha spinet.
Steve, I sold against Baldwin at that time. And yes we made an issue of it. But in spite of me they were pretty successful with the line. Just an additional point. Another thing we used against them. Their key's were a little shorter then other's. We made a big deal out of showing it by using a dollar bill how they were shorter.
Super, by the 90's it changed. they were phasing out the spinets and switched to the full blow action you have.
I was told this, how true it is I have no idea.
The reason for the name Acrosonic, the original
Mr Baldwin only thought of Grands as Baldwin's.
Therefore Spinet,and Consoles were called Acrosonic. The name Baldwin was smaller and off to the side.The same was true in Organs. Small one's were called Orgasonic. The big one's were Baldwin.
Orgasonic?

That sounds ... well ... that's just wrong! laugh

And I'm starting to think that the difference between spinet and console is about as precise as the definition of a "baby" grand. frown

Steven
Posted By: RickG Re: What exactly is unique about an Acrosonic? - 09/28/08 09:02 PM
I am looking at a '63 Acrosonic 40" console that my parents bought for me when I was a kid. VG, I never had anyone tell me that it had the same action as a Baldwin spinet. My tech(who used to sell against Baldwin) is always amazed how well it holds pitch. It was interesting that on Lawrence Welk last night on PBS, they were using a Baldwin Spinet ( the same model case that someone gave our church years ago). Pianover., I also have a Mason "A" which I DO like better than the Acrosonic. LOL BTW, I have played Orgasonics, not nearly as good of spinet organ as the Hammond spinets, IMHO.
Thanks for the info VGrantano
Originally posted by Randy Karasik:
I have seen all variations of Acrosonics. There are many that are simply very well built, nice looking pianos that play well and sound good.

There are also Acrosonics that were built on the cheap, have horrible action and tone and very dull looking cabinets.

They are not all equal by any stretch. A mid 60s Acrosonic? Hmmm .... maybe a good one. I'd have to see it.

The mid 70s to mid 80s were probably the worst ones.
Okay...FWIW, here's my piano:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Littlefingers,

Your photo brings back memories for me. Mine was a mid-fifties manufacture. The wood finish was similar to yours, but the cabinet was pretty beat up. When I got it ($500 from a retailer laugh ) I thought I would touch it up. Gradually the touch-up turned into taking the cabinet piece by piece to the garage for hand-sanding and re-finishing. The music rack was challenging. It was one of the more decorative ones and it was permanently attached to the one-piece top and front panel. The legs were tough too. This was before flexible sanding sponges were available.

I have fond memories of that piano. It wasn't great, but it held pitch really well and never required any repairs.

It seems that you like yours. If so, keep it and enjoy it. One thing about spinets. If you have bad home acoustics, you won't notice it all that much.
LittleFingers,

I think it's lovely.

BTW, did you ever get a direct answer to your question about whether the piano is worth getting back into playable shape?

I imagine it is! You may eventually outgrow it musically, but I think it would serve you well for quite a while as you return to piano.

Steven
Originally posted by turandot:

I have fond memories of that piano. It wasn't great, but it held pitch really well and never required any repairs.

It seems that you like yours. If so, keep it and enjoy it. One thing about spinets. If you have bad home acoustics, you won't notice it all that much.
Yes, I do like it a lot, largely because of the sentimental value it has from my late aunt (who was a much better pianist than I). And as I said before, I loved the way it used to sound.

Interesting comment about acoustics: The room in which it's located, my living room, measures 18 x 13, with a moderate amount of drapes and upholstered furniture. One unusual thing, perhaps, is the acoustical tile ceiling (done more to cover up the flaws in the plaster than for acoustics). IOW, it's sort of an acoustically dead space -- unlike my aunt's house, which was a larger and more "live" environment.

Another problem, I think, is that my aunt's living room was cooler than mine; my family has always kept the house kind of warm and I don't think that has helped any.
Originally posted by sotto voce:
LittleFingers,

I think it's lovely.

BTW, did you ever get a direct answer to your question about whether the piano is worth getting back into playable shape?

I imagine it is! You may eventually outgrow it musically, but I think it would serve you well for quite a while as you return to piano.
Thanks, SV. The issue of restoring it hasn't exactly been addressed but I'm sort of getting the idea -- if I'm really attached to this piano, and I am, it might be worth it to me to put some $$ into it.

As for outgrowing it -- I doubt it! laugh On the rare occasions when I have played, most of what I enjoy most is revisiting all the stuff I learned when I took lessons almost 40(!)years ago: Fur Elise, Liebestraum, Mozart's Minuet & Trio, etc. IOW, I'm not too adventurous or ambitious.

But who knows how far I'll go if I once again have a nice sounding piano?
Posted By: RickG Re: What exactly is unique about an Acrosonic? - 09/30/08 03:01 AM
That piano is exactly like the one we have in our parish hall. It also was like the one on Lawrence Welk show from '71. It is a solid piano.
It's nice to know from these posts that the piano I started on is regarded well. Here's a pic of my Acrosonic I got in early 1964 when I started lessons. It really holds its tuning and is quite a loud piano! Thunderously orchestral for a spinet! I wrote a great deal of music on that piano.

[Linked Image]
Are all Baldwin spinets acrosonics?

I see Baldwin spinets on Craigslist but some people don't put "acrosonic" in title or description.
Posted By: BDB Re: What exactly is unique about an Acrosonic? - 07/27/15 03:11 AM
No, there are Howard spinets which are much worse.
Originally Posted by BDB
No, there are Howard spinets which are much worse.

But if it says Baldwin on it & it's a spinet... then it's an acrosonic spinet, right? (Sorry - newbie here)
Posted By: BDB Re: What exactly is unique about an Acrosonic? - 07/27/15 05:22 AM
It really does not matter what it says on the piano. If it is a spinet, look for something else. There are too many better alternatives available to merit risking what is going to be a troublesome piano to work on.
Ha doesn't really answer my question but whatever.
Some of them have pretty cases. This one in mahogany is very nice.

https://brucemusicstore.com/pianos/baldwin-acrosonic-conselette/

I got to play one owned by a family friend at an annual Christmas party for years. Mind you, it sounded like a banjo--I think this was mostly the condition of the hammers, this model was more of a console.

The particular one I played dated from the 50s and was labeled "Acrosonic" unlike the the identical (later?) one at the above link.

It had the sharpest feeling side edges to the plastic (white) keytops I've ever encountered as a player. Was this an Acrosonic characteristic?
Posted By: KurtZ Re: What exactly is unique about an Acrosonic? - 07/27/15 07:29 PM
I took lessons on a 60's acro. It had a balanced and musical tone that while not big or bassy was very pleasant. Smallish keys, low key weight and a controlled volume make (made?) it a nice piano for apartments, kids and beginners. Unfortunately, they're getting REALLY old and they are not worth putting money into to bring them back up to newish performance. In this day and age, given what they sell for, I'd probably just get a Privia.

Kurt

Kurt,

What do you mean smallish keys? Length wise or width?
Posted By: KurtZ Re: What exactly is unique about an Acrosonic? - 07/28/15 02:53 PM
length and width but not by very much. That piano has moved several states away so I can't measure but after I got my 48" upright, I remember going to her house and thinking, "These keys are smaller than mine."

Kurt
Originally Posted by Kawai RX-5
DL

I thought all spinets had a drop action? What's so unique about acrosonics action?
Posted By: BDB Re: What exactly is unique about an Acrosonic? - 07/31/15 05:27 PM
Acrosonics used two different drop actions, and then they started making some consoles. I have also seen one old piano labeled Acrosonic which was a Hamilton on the inside and a fancy case on the outside, before Baldwin made Hamiltons with fancy cases.
Originally Posted by BDB
Acrosonics used two different drop actions, and then they started making some consoles. I have also seen one old piano labeled Acrosonic which was a Hamilton on the inside and a fancy case on the outside, before Baldwin made Hamiltons with fancy cases.

Thanks for info. I wonder what was so unique about acrosnic drop actions that a lot of people tend to rave about the action of those particular spinets vs others.

Oh the inner workings of a piano - so complex to a newbie! ha
Originally Posted by VGrantano

The reason for the name Acrosonic, the original
Mr Baldwin only thought of Grands as Baldwin's.
Therefore Spinet,and Consoles were called Acrosonic. The name Baldwin was smaller and off to the side.The same was true in Organs.

I bought a Baldwin spinet new in 1965. It said Baldwin, with Acrosonic in small letters on the right-hand side.
Nice to read this thread about Acrosonics and see the posted photo. The family piano I learned piano on in the 1950's was an Acrsonic, and I had at least six solid years of practice on that piano in elementary school. I wonder where it is right now.
I bought an acrosonic spinet (not sure what year) for my mother at our local Habitat for Humanity ReStore for $40. The finish was a little rough so I painted it, and one key buzzes a little and another sounds like there might be a piece of paper underneath, but it plays. It isn't the best piano in the world, but the sound is pretty good and it was easy to move, and at least my mother is able to play again. She had to get rid of a baby grand when she married my stepfather, and has been mourning its loss. Now that I've started to take lessons, it seems to be a decent little workhorse, and our tuner hasn't said anything REALLY disparaging about it.
@KurtZ - just ran into your old post here by chance. FYI, a Casio Privia may be a really nice digital piano with modern recording functions, etc., but it is no way better than a Baldwin Acrosonic Spinet acoustic piano! This is true even when comparing the newest Privia to a 1950's to 1960's Acrosonic Spinet. The tone and the touch of the Acrosonic are still way more "authentic" in terms of piano characteristics!
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums