Piano World Home Page
Posted By: Minnesota Marty Note by Note - Documentary - 10/24/13 06:33 PM
For our new members, and those who have not seen it, here is an excellent video on the building of a concert grand:

Note by Note - The Making of Steinway L1037

Enjoy,

Posted By: PattyP Re: Note by Note - Documentary - 10/25/13 05:47 PM
I watched this recently. While I'm not Steinway's biggest fan, I give the docu two thumbs up.
Posted By: pianoloverus Re: Note by Note - Documentary - 10/25/13 07:26 PM
It's interesting and I think there was a book written about this same piano, but the movie looks too much like advertising for my tastes. OTOH it's good enough that I sent the link to a friend.
Posted By: LarryShone Re: Note by Note - Documentary - 10/25/13 07:30 PM
Oh I look forward to seeing this!
Posted By: Retsacnal Re: Note by Note - Documentary - 10/25/13 07:44 PM
I started to watch it and then realized how long it is! Looks good though--I'll finish it later. smile
Posted By: Minnesota Marty Re: Note by Note - Documentary - 10/25/13 08:37 PM
The book to which PLU refers is entitled "Piano - The Making of a Steinway Concert Grand," and it is by James Barron. It is an excellent read and has a great deal of history of the trade and the Steinway family. It is a different piano in the book. The one that is followed is K0862.
Posted By: Sir Lurksalot Re: Note by Note - Documentary - 10/25/13 09:23 PM
FYI for those interested - searching Pianoworld for "L1037" returns lots of previous threads about this film.
Posted By: Plowboy Re: Note by Note - Documentary - 10/25/13 09:31 PM
My technician's feet make a cameo appearance in that film.
Posted By: Rich Galassini Re: Note by Note - Documentary - 10/25/13 09:33 PM
Our current bellyman, factory manager, and others that have worked in our facility are in that film.
Posted By: Dave B Re: Note by Note - Documentary - 10/26/13 01:03 AM
Hard to believe that was ten years ago.

Time flys when your having fun. Better put your seat belts on.
Posted By: Minnesota Marty Re: Note by Note - Documentary - 10/26/13 01:56 AM
Originally Posted by Plowboy
My technician's feet make a cameo appearance in that film.

Your technician's feet play a wonderful roll!
Posted By: Chloe J. Scott Re: Note by Note - Documentary - 10/26/13 04:41 AM
I got a copy of the DVD from my local Steinway dealer a couple of years ago. It's quite well done, though I'd like to have seen more on the finishing stages. I did read the book mentioned above also and goes into more depth than the video does.

There's another wonderful book by Richard Leiberman simply called "Steinway & Sons" that goes into great detail on the history of Steinway as a company and a family. Recommended reading for anyone interested in that sort of thing (which I am). I wish there were similar books/videos on M&H, but all we've got is a segment from an episode of "How It's Made" (which has a residence on my DVR).
Posted By: Norbert Re: Note by Note - Documentary - 10/26/13 04:45 AM
Having been in a number of German factories and seen the production of pianos, including concert grands, one is always reminded about the great art and dedication that goes into making these instruments.

Steinway no doubt is one of them but certainly not the only one. In fact many of the work processes seem quite similar with the artisans doing more or less same/similar work.

The most interesting part in manufacturing, at least from my perspective, is seeing experts "tuning" soundboards,i.e sanding soundboards to variable thickness for what one could call perhaps 'tone miximazation'.

This was witnessed in only 2 seperate incidents requiring utmost skill, unlike any other.

Rare breed of bird to find but real neat stuff!

Norbert
Posted By: lluiscl Re: Note by Note - Documentary - 10/26/13 06:11 AM
Attention: at the end of the film P.L. Aimard (the same of Pianomania) choose a Hamburg for his concert!!
Posted By: Norbert Re: Note by Note - Documentary - 10/26/13 06:30 AM
This is my own favourite Steinway documentary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMT4rfjeJko

Norbert
Posted By: PattyP Re: Note by Note - Documentary - 10/26/13 03:43 PM
Thanks, Norbert.

What is the piece that is being played beginning at 11:35?
Posted By: sophial Re: Note by Note - Documentary - 10/26/13 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by lluiscl
Attention: at the end of the film P.L. Aimard (the same of Pianomania) choose a Hamburg for his concert!!

There are lots of factors that might contribute to choosing a particular instrument-- the repertoire being played, the type of sound best suited to the music, the hall, or whether it is being selected for solo, chamber or concerto use, as well as what choices were available.
Posted By: Norbert Re: Note by Note - Documentary - 10/26/13 04:57 PM
There are lots of factors that might contribute to choosing a particular instrument-- the repertoire being played, the type of sound best suited to the music, the hall, or whether it is being selected for solo, chamber or concerto use, as well as what choices were available.

This is totally true and exactly the reason why there is and always has been so many choices on market.

Steinway is unique as it occupies 90% of concert stages so if I were a performing artist I wouldn't run around all over to find a piano in each town more to my own liking.

By same token, there are pianos by others with more similarity to Hamburg Steinway than even their own New York counterpart.

Steinway concert grands are definitely formidable instruments but as is often assumed, hardly ever "same"

P.S. Nothing wrong with that.

Norbert smile
Posted By: AZ_Astro Re: Note by Note - Documentary - 10/26/13 07:54 PM
If you like Note by Note, I think you will really like this documentary on Netflix. I liked this video quite a lot more than Note by Note.

Pianomania: This engaging documentary profiles Stefan Knüpfer, the master tuner for Steinway & Sons, who is tasked with the often-demanding job of pairing world-famous pianists with the right instrument and supervising all aspects of each piano's performance.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Pianomania/70213641?trkid=2361637

Posted By: thorn_was_taken Re: Note by Note - Documentary - 10/27/13 04:22 PM
what az_astro says. i liked both documentaries equally, for their different strengths.
Posted By: Theodore Slutz Re: Note by Note - Documentary - 10/27/13 11:08 PM
I went to see a concert at Greene music (Steinway dealer) a few years ago and won a copy of Note by note in a raffle. It was ok but it seemed rather political to me. It seemed much more about the builders, many of which didn't seem to enjoy or play music, than the Steinway history and legacy or why they are different or better.

I mean one guy went down the list of all the nationalities that worked there, even some that didn't even speak English, and called the company the United nations? I don't care if martians that hate earth people build my piano, I just care if it does what its supposed to do.

What am i supposed to get out of that? That I'm supposed to buy a Steinway because working guys like me build them? All of which by the way cannot afford to buy the very pianos they are building? Or am I to have sympathy for their plight because, at that time, the company is in trouble so "buy our pianos so you can save our jobs?" Or buy from us becuase we're racially diverse and all the others are not? Weird. Just weird.

I actually do sympathize with american workers and craftsman of all trades because I am one of them. But buying a Steinway somehow seems to line the pockets of the stockholders and dealers than the builders and craftsman.

They should have made a modern film about "Why Steinway is a better piano than all the other!" than this. I mean you have to really stand out these days to justify charging the prices Steinway is charging compared to what you can get from so other companies now.

Now if I want to see a film about how a piano is made or see excellent, dedicated well dressed Master Craftsman that look and play the part I would watch the numerous other films put out by the European and Japanese Makers such as Schimmel and Bosendorfer than this.

As a film its just not well made or thought out.

As a promotional piece its just not convincing.

As a self pat on the back it great.

As a Political piece its a turn off.

All that said... I still love the pianos they make but it has little to do with the originators of the brand.

BTW before anyone jumps on me and calls me a racist for pointing out that Steinway was using the race card, my wife is Asian and my daughter is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen on earth... so don't go there.

Posted By: sophial Re: Note by Note - Documentary - 10/28/13 12:43 AM
Theodore,

This film was not made by Steinway. It is an independent documentary film about the making of a Steinway piano. Steinway is not "using the race card" (strange way of talking about the fact that the filmmakers showed the diversity of the work force). How you got politics out of this is beyond me.

Sophia
Posted By: thorn_was_taken Re: Note by Note - Documentary - 10/28/13 01:05 AM
Theodore_Slutz, it sounds quite like you're criticizing a documentary film for not being an extended commercial. Say what you will, but clearly Steinway didn't consider it to be a bad film, or the dealer would likely have chosen to raffle off something else instead. The filmmakers needed significant buy-in from Steinway for the access they were given. I expect from Steinway's point of view it was quite uncontroversial.

I liked seeing all of the featured musicians.
Posted By: otherside Re: Note by Note - Documentary - 10/28/13 01:21 AM
Originally Posted by Theodore Slutz
I went to see a concert at Greene music (Steinway dealer) a few years ago and won a copy of Note by note in a raffle.

They should have let you pay for it, I did and for me it became a fascinating and inspiring documentary smile
Posted By: KurtZ Re: Note by Note - Documentary - 10/28/13 02:09 PM
Another thumbs up for Note by Note and I fall into the the camp of Steinway "bashers." I found the human diverstity interesting and of thel real world. Pianomania was good too.

Kurt
Posted By: bennevis Re: Note by Note - Documentary - 10/29/13 09:27 PM
Interestingly, Pierre-Laurent Aimard who featured so prominently (and is a Steinway Artist), has been moonlighting occasionally on Yamaha CFX in concert in recent years.....
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums