Piano World Home Page
Posted By: Theodore Slutz Charles Walter Delivery - 06/02/13 12:52 AM
My new to me Walter 190 got delivered last Tuesday and I'm loving in. I said I would post pics so here they are. Hope some of you enjoy them.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: Sam Rose Re: Charles Walter Delivery - 06/02/13 01:07 AM
Wow, that is stunningly beautiful!! What's the other piano in the room?

Enjoy it laugh
Posted By: Theodore Slutz Re: Charles Walter Delivery - 06/02/13 01:13 AM
It's my Vogel that I traded back in... a sad farewell only to be overshadowed by my excitement for the Walter!
Posted By: dynamobt Re: Charles Walter Delivery - 06/02/13 01:17 AM
Just beautiful!! What a gorgeous finish on it!! Hope you post up a recording so we can hear it soon too!!!
Posted By: manofsong Re: Charles Walter Delivery - 06/02/13 01:21 AM
That is one beautiful instrument!

Can't wait to hear a recording.

C
Posted By: Robert 45 Re: Charles Walter Delivery - 06/02/13 01:42 AM
I love the natural wood finishes and this instrument looks like elegant simplicity at its best. I have never had the pleasure of playing a Charles Walter piano, but I know from PW that it is a highly respected make. This distinguished manufacturer is certainly worthy of support from the most discerning of piano buyers.

Congratulations on acquiring this beautiful new instrument!

Robert.
Posted By: Anne'sson Re: Charles Walter Delivery - 06/02/13 01:44 AM
Congratulations! Beautiful instrument.
Posted By: j&j Re: Charles Walter Delivery - 06/02/13 02:02 AM
Congratulation! Very beautiful piano and I'll bet it sounds even better than it looks, and it looks fabulous. How wonderful.
Posted By: Rickster Re: Charles Walter Delivery - 06/02/13 03:05 AM
Wow! Congratulations on a fine musical instrument! Nice home too...

Enjoy!

Rick
Posted By: lilylady Re: Charles Walter Delivery - 06/02/13 10:49 AM
May you enjoy your beautiful new piano for many years! I love real wood veneers.

Question.

Did you not get / prefer factory caster holders? What I notice is what looks like blocks of wood. To me they would raise the height of the piano just enough to make the piano a little high when playing and viewing the music stand (unless you have a really high bench.
Posted By: Chrisma Re: Charles Walter Delivery - 06/02/13 01:47 PM
Hi.
Just curious why you traded in the Vogel? What was the model of the Vogel and how did you like it? The reason for my asking is the vogel grand is one on my list to consider.
Would you mind my asking what you paid for the Vogel and where you r trading it back to?

Thanks
Posted By: Minnesota Marty Re: Charles Walter Delivery - 06/02/13 01:53 PM
Hi TS,

It's Beautiful! - Congratulations.

The Walter-190 is a marvelous piano and you will have a lifetime of enjoyment with it.

(I'm curious about the 'caster cups,' too.)
Posted By: rocket88 Re: Charles Walter Delivery - 06/02/13 02:01 PM
Beautiful piano!

I am a bit surprised that the movers did not put plywood or something down on the floor so the dolly casters would not dig grooves in the floor. Doesn't look like they made grooves, but still, an ounce of prevention...
Posted By: Theodore Slutz Re: Charles Walter Delivery - 06/02/13 04:10 PM
Thanks to all!

Lilylady, yes I have regualr casters as well but I am rather tall and early on I found it hard to play while sitting like most people as I played too much on my tips rather than my pads. Aleady being a Glenn Gould cultist I thought I would try to play a little lower by rigging a setup that worked for me and I've never looked back. Now that I have a piano action that fulfills my desires and sound that is clearer to hear more of the interweaving voices of the music, I'm much more satisfied.

Chrischa, I had the Vogel 177. It is an incredible piano, especially for those that like to play romantic to modern music. I don't and I didn't know the difference when I got the Vogel as I only played guitar before buying it. So yes I did learn on the Vogel and it helped me articulate more of what i wanted. The sound is amazingly pure when tuned right and the action meets most demands.

I traded it back to SoCal Pianos and they are having a clearance in preparation of becoming an all Steinway dealer. I would go check it out, probably the best European value IMO. Even if you're not in the area, to spend a few hundred bucks for a plane ticket to find the right piano seems negligable.
Posted By: pianoloverus Re: Charles Walter Delivery - 06/02/13 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by Theodore Slutz
Lilylady, yes I have regular casters as well but I am rather tall and early on I found it hard to play while sitting like most people as I played too much on my tips rather than my pads. Already being a Glenn Gould cultist I thought I would try to play a little lower by rigging a setup that worked for me and I've never looked back. Now that I have a piano action that fulfills my desires and sound that is clearer to hear more of the interweaving voices of the music, I'm much more satisfied.
To me, it looks slightly dangerous because the legs might role of the flat blocks.
Posted By: Carbonblob Re: Charles Walter Delivery - 06/02/13 04:37 PM
congrats, wow what a beautiful piano and a great finish. I think we both purchased our pianos at the same place (in the OC). my dealer was clearing out for the steinway gallery switch too (different store name though). Great looking home for your new baby. I play mine into the late hours, just can't seem to stop, my guess is you will too! Enjoy........blob
Posted By: Dave B Re: Charles Walter Delivery - 06/02/13 04:43 PM
Beautiful piano!
Posted By: LGabrielPhoto Re: Charles Walter Delivery - 06/02/13 05:00 PM
Gorgeous piano! What a happy camper you must be now. Can't wait to hear it too.
Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Plowboy Re: Charles Walter Delivery - 06/02/13 05:48 PM
Very nice.
Posted By: Jean Claude Re: Charles Walter Delivery - 06/02/13 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by Sam Rose
Wow, that is stunningly beautiful!! What's the other piano in the room?

Enjoy it laugh

----------------------------------------------------------------

Playing since age 21 (September 2010) and loving it more every day.

I just wanted to say how much I admire this tag-line; it has a certain youthful freshness that find admirable. In fact I was so taken with it that I decided to do something similar for myself. Unhappily, the moment that I substituted '1959' for '2010' most of its zing seemed to have gone AWOL...

However that's not what I'm writing this post for. Walter pianos are, as far as I know, not available in Europe and although I agree that it looks very attractive I can't really comment beyond that. What I do want to say however is that the piano trolley being used for the delivery, which looks rather like a cut-down supermarket chariot, is an appalling thing. The wheels are far too small to allow a reasonable degree of manoeuvrability and as for steps...quite impossible to use safely.

Just my deux centimes.

J-C.

Posted By: Norbert Re: Charles Walter Delivery - 06/02/13 07:31 PM
Congratulations to a fine piano.

Being made 100% in USA, I often wondered why oriental pianos in same price group are being sold there at all....

You're making one of the best, guys!

Norbert thumb
Posted By: Rod Verhnjak Re: Charles Walter Delivery - 06/02/13 09:15 PM
Congratulations on choosing a very finely crafted piano. It generally takes a player to appreciate a quality piano.
Enjoy!!!!
Posted By: Rich Galassini Re: Charles Walter Delivery - 06/02/13 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by Rod Verhnjak
Congratulations on choosing a very finely crafted piano. It generally takes a player to appreciate a quality piano.
Enjoy!!!!

Rod,

It is good to see that you got over that awful illness so quickly. It seems you were only quarantined for the weekend.

There is something about this that seems a little "fishy", but somehow I am "swimming upsteam". I might be a little "camp"-y, but I try to keep it all in the right "scale".
Posted By: Nash. Piano Rescue Re: Charles Walter Delivery - 06/02/13 10:07 PM
In regards to the comment above about the dolly wheels on the movers dollies? You wont get grooves or damage with that type of wheel. The grey rubber dolly wheels are what you want to use. Grey rubber offers a kind of suspension effect as well. Most smaller movers wont even buy them because the dollies are about 200 dollars each.

I just had some movers pick up a grand piano from me who used the hard black plastic type of wheel on a dolly and you could hear the harmonics of each bump they took. Dangerous ! and they will trash a wood or tile floor in a second.

Now as far as that liftgate in the 1st photo? I'm not sure why they are using a tuck-away gate as they are killers, Probably just came with the truck when new, they always lean slightly away from the truck and that gap is 20 inches from the bumper. A rail lift gate is far safer with no lean.
Posted By: Rod Verhnjak Re: Charles Walter Delivery - 06/02/13 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
Originally Posted by Rod Verhnjak
Enjoy!!!!

Rod,

It is good to see that you got over that awful illness so quickly. It seems you were only quarantined for the weekend.

There is something about this that seems a little "fishy", but somehow I am "swimming upsteam". I might be a little "camp"-y, but I try to keep it all in the right "scale".

Ha Ha Rich!!!!

For those that are not on my Facebook. I was away this weekend fishing and my code for leaving town is "I'm feeling like the sniffles are coming on" So for public safety I leave for quarantine lake. Got away 3 weekends in May and looks like I may be sick a few times in June. smile

I will not be out of the "woods" till November.
Posted By: mahermusic Re: Charles Walter Delivery - 06/03/13 02:02 AM
Welcome to the CLUB!!!
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums