Piano World Home Page
Posted By: suzukiparent Piano Shopping Kawai kg2/Ge 30/Rx2 - 12/01/12 10:06 PM
Hi!
Thanks so far for all the help. I am now at the point to do some serious looking. After researching I have found some used pianos at dealers in two different states a few hours from me so we have not played them yet. Going to one place tomorrow.

Some used options include a Kawai KG2 (5"10) that is a 1989 model for around $9000. A near new (1 or 2 years in a small college) Kawai GE 30 (5'5) with the millenium action for $10000 range.

Also a 1999 RX2 for $12,800 or a year old one (again used in college for a year) for $17,500 range. Much more than I planned to spend but may have some more room to bargin.

My 13 year old is a pretty serious player and I would prefer to not have to purchase another piano after this one. Would we be better off with the newer ge30 even though it is 5 inches shorter? Not sure I want to go much higher but if it seems like a better value I might consider it. Any suggestions?

I have not found any used Yamahas in that size and price range around here. Our piano teacher has both a Kawai Grand and Yamaha 6 foot pianos and I think my son prefers the Kawai. Although I know all are different. We are upgrading from a 83 Baldwin Acronsonic 42 inch that he has been happy with. His teacher feels the keys are too light and his hands don't get much of a workout. What would be the most cost effective to meet his needs. Thanks!
Posted By: gnuboi Re: Piano Shopping Kawai kg2/Ge 30/Rx2 - 12/02/12 01:41 AM
I think the 1999 RX-2 is a decent value especially if you can get it discounted even just a bit.

Yes 5" makes a big difference, especially in the shorter range here.
Posted By: suzukiparent Re: Piano Shopping Kawai kg2/Ge 30/Rx2 - 12/02/12 04:36 PM
Thanks,
Sounds like I should go with a 5'10 instead of the smaller model even though the smaller is only a year old. I just found out our teacher has a kg2 that she is very happy with about 30 years old. Is there much difference other than age between a 89 kg2 and a 1999 RX 2.

Thanks so much for any help.
Posted By: Jeff Clef Re: Piano Shopping Kawai kg2/Ge 30/Rx2 - 12/02/12 05:59 PM
Dear Suzukiparent,

I feel happy that you are doing such a nice thing to encourage your child's talent; it is admirable. It also encourages me that you seem to have very good sense, as to your search parameters. We do not always see it in piano shoppers.

Yes, they are expensive; it seems that sticker shock visits us all. You have some advantage in that you presently have a piano to trade in. No matter how poor or old, it will have some residual trade-in value. If you mention it after the sale price has been negotiated, you might come out better than if you put it on the table earlier on.

I like the year-old RX-2 for you, better than the older one. Though if cared-for, and with typical home use (rather than a church, school, or nightclub) they will last, say, 40 - 50 years, still they are at their best newer rather than older. Some disagree, but I think finding a used piano no older than 15 years is preferable. And that entirely depends on condition--- to learn which, you will need to hire a qualified piano tech, who is not financially interested in the sale--- to inspect it. One may not safely depend on the seller's memory, financial valuation, or representation or quality and condition. A $100 inspection can spare you from an ocean of tears.

The RX-2 is Kawai's best-seller in that range, and it seems to me that they have gotten better at making this model in recent years, if only because their incrementally greater experience has helped them. There have been announced technical improvements since the 1980's, and if you are going to pay a price that pinches anyway you might as well have the best they offer for it. Besides the improved features and manufacturing experience, the newer piano will have a greater re-sale value--- I understand you don't have your eye on this, but you never know; perhaps you will have a genius grandchild and it will matter then. Also, the warranty has some value, and you will have the benefit of the balance of the ten years if you choose the newer piano.

I have been happy with my RX. It helps a great deal to have a good tech who knows how to work on it, and who can help you to get the best from it. My dealer was greatly astonished at what my tech was able to bring forth from mine. All things considered, it is not high in the price range, as good pianos go. I am not a wealthy person myself, and I understand that you are talking about real money here. But a cheap price for a poor instrument is no bargain. Something tells me that you will be a good negotiator, and a person whom a dealer will take pleasure in helping. Just for fun, and so you have a basis for comparison, try the new models... or a dealer could be clearing out last year's models, sold new, but for less than the 2013's.

There are many things that can be worked out for a resourceful and flexible person. Play three times, negotiate three times, think three times. And I will wish three times that you have good luck.
Posted By: PianoWorksATL Re: Piano Shopping Kawai kg2/Ge 30/Rx2 - 12/02/12 06:10 PM
Just keep in mind that:

“One year’s usage of a piano in a practice room here is the equivalent of twenty years in a normal home...." Robert Sirota, President of Manhattan School of Music.

Read more: http://www.newyorker.com/talk/2010/08/30/100830ta_talk_schulman#ixzz2Dv3USW6R
Posted By: suzukiparent Re: Piano Shopping Kawai kg2/Ge 30/Rx2 - 12/03/12 02:48 AM
Thanks,
I have not thought of how much practice those college pianos may have received.They were in a local small liberal arts college that most likely has a very small class of musicans. But something to check out.

I really think the newer RX 2 would be too much of a stretch for our budget. The older RX was in one owner home according to the dealer and might be a possibilty. The KG was more in line with what I wanted to pay, don't know how long before we would need to put money into it.

Resale value is a little bit of concern. Once my son moves off to college we may be ready to downsize. It would be nice to be able to keep it for him if we can but no telling where he will end up. My husband and I do not play.

We will definately have the piano we are most interested in inspected.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums