Piano World Home Page

Guess this piano

Posted By: Doogs

Guess this piano - 01/26/09 06:40 AM

Can anybody tell what piano was used in these recordings?

Please be kind and note that they were posted for the sheer fun of being able to do it (my first attempt at recording and uploading) and curiosity about whether anyone guesses right---rather than the artistic quality of the performances.

classical
nonclassical

PS Can you tell I really don't like classical music?
Posted By: AJB

Re: Guess this piano - 01/26/09 08:35 AM

These occasional "guess the piano" posts are really odd to my mind. I defy anyone to make an accurate determination of pianos that are home recorded on amateur equipment, compressed, and then played through the very limited capabilities of a computer.
Posted By: lilylady

Re: Guess this piano - 01/26/09 02:22 PM

Nice playing Doogs - both classical and pop. You certainly do deserve a nice piano to be playing on! I know it has been a long journey for you.

I have an idea which piano it is but will let others make their suggestions first.

First two notes in the classical piece made my decision.

It sounds nice BTW!

I'll have to figure out how to do the boxnet thing. Was it hard?
Posted By: scepticalforumguy

Re: Guess this piano - 01/26/09 07:38 PM

Where did you record them? I'm guessing it was the one you said you were waiting to try...7 footer given your preferences, hard to tell though because nothing was played in the lowest section of the piano.

And I think the POINT of these threads is that perhaps owners of similar pianos once listening to the recording could say "that sounds like mine", but I think, in agreeing with AJB, that it is probably otherwise difficult if not impossible to tell.

Nice playing, nevertheless.
Posted By: duncantwo

Re: Guess this piano - 01/28/09 02:55 AM

i think it's a yamaha
Posted By: SCCDoug

Re: Guess this piano - 01/28/09 03:02 AM

Originally posted by AJB:
These occasional "guess the piano" posts are really odd to my mind. I defy anyone to make an accurate determination of pianos that are home recorded on amateur equipment, compressed, and then played through the very limited capabilities of a computer.
Yes, and we gave up analog recordings for low sampling rate CD's and then reduced the rate even further to MP3s.

Ain't technology wonderful.

Nonetheless, I still enjoy hearing our forum members play even if I really don't have a clue what the instrument is.

Nicely done Doogs.
Posted By: pno

Re: Guess this piano - 01/29/09 12:19 AM

It's a Mason & Hamlin D 1922.
Posted By: WILLIAM C. HAUGHT

Re: Guess this piano - 01/29/09 05:48 AM

I am guessing an asian piano by the treble tone. Possibly a good chinese piano such as a Pearl River or a Korean Sohmer. Don't think it is a Yamaha or Kawai. If it is, it needs regulated and voiced. Nice playing though. It definitely is not a Mason Hamlin or Steinway.

Let us know, I am curious.

Respectfully,
Posted By: Doogs

Re: Guess this piano - 01/31/09 04:43 PM

First of all, AJB, did you even listen to the recordings? Compressed to MP3 and played through a computer, yeah, but they were not home recorded on amateur equipment. This was a professional job. Perhaps it could have been enhanced a bit, but it was professional.

You guys are all wrong.

It was a Steinway B. And one of the lovelier ones I have experienced.
Posted By: Diane...

Re: Guess this piano - 01/31/09 04:48 PM

It sounds to me like a digital! It's got a harsh twang that my ear doesn't much like.

Hope I'm wrong! Did this one other time and guessed that a grand was an old clunker! Opps! laugh
Posted By: beckaboo71

Re: Guess this piano - 01/31/09 04:52 PM

I feel stupid. I have no experience with pianos and have always thought I had a good ear, but there's just no way I could tell the difference between pianos unless it was blatantly obvious! Guess that means I'll be saving money by not feeling the urge to buy the "best" piano!

Beautiful playing, BTW. Someday I'd like to be able to play like that!
Becky G.
Posted By: scepticalforumguy

Re: Guess this piano - 01/31/09 05:28 PM

Originally posted by beckaboo71:
I feel stupid. I have no experience with pianos and have always thought I had a good ear, but there's just no way I could tell the difference between pianos unless it was blatantly obvious! Guess that means I'll be saving money by not feeling the urge to buy the "best" piano!

Beautiful playing, BTW. Someday I'd like to be able to play like that!
Becky G.
Like others have mentioned previously, it is hard to tell from a recording the extent of a pianos capabilities. You should still get the best one you can afford because when playing them you'll probably hear and feel a difference.
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums