Piano World Home Page
Posted By: Rich Galassini Never bring a gun to a piano fight! - 02/22/12 08:40 PM
Robert DeNiro and Bradley Cooper starred in the movie "Limitless" that was filmed here in Philly in 2010. In this scene a piano played a pivotal role. Check it out:

By the way, the plate and strings were removed to make the new Cunningham lighter and easier to move. Also, the gunshots were real. That piano is here in our place with the bullet holes (and the bullets) still intact.

Cool stuff!
Posted By: Rickster Re: Never bring a gun to a piano fight! - 02/22/12 09:57 PM
Interesting, and entertaining, Rich! Scary too...

I used to be a gun enthusiast until I accidently fired a gun in my house. Fortunately (and thank God) no one was hurt, but my pride. I didn’t think I was capable of doing something so incredibly clumsy and stupid, though it was an accident. The bullet went through a lamp and broke a window. I felt about two inches tall afterward.

Of course, I didn’t own a piano at the time…

My new hobby, pianos, is not as dangerous, or as loud as the guns! (And, a lot more fun laugh )

Rick
That is really cool, Rich!

Damn.....I am resisting making so many wise ass comments about this........it is really not fair of you to make it so easy and tempting!

Anyways, if you need somebody to perfectly restore that case, we will give you an industry discount! grin
Posted By: Tweedpipe Re: Never bring a gun to a piano fight! - 02/22/12 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
Robert DeNiro and Bradley Cooper starred in the movie "Limitless" that was filmed here in Philly in 2010. In this scene a piano played a pivotal role. Check it out:
By the way, the plate and strings were removed to make the new Cunningham lighter and easier to move. Also, the gunshots were real. That piano is here in our place with the bullet holes (and the bullets) still intact.

Cool stuff!

Unusual post Rich. And particularly interesting, especially as I'm a very keen club shooter in Europe, and of course piano enthusiast too.
I'll probably get shot for asking, but I can't help wondering which had the fastest repetition, the keyboard action or the semi-auto...... wink

Posted By: Steve Cohen Re: Never bring a gun to a piano fight! - 02/22/12 10:49 PM
I always knew Cunningham pianos would prove to be good for something.

grin
Posted By: PianoZac Re: Never bring a gun to a piano fight! - 02/22/12 10:56 PM
Very cool Rich! Must be a nice conversation piece for your customers. When I first saw that I cringed of the thought of ruining a grand piano like that!
Posted By: Rod Verhnjak Re: Never bring a gun to a piano fight! - 02/22/12 11:08 PM
Hit by a bullet is one thing. Hit by a piano is another!!!!

Posted By: pianoloverus Re: Never bring a gun to a piano fight! - 02/22/12 11:28 PM
Do piano warranties cover bullet holes?
Posted By: Horowitzian Re: Never bring a gun to a piano fight! - 02/23/12 01:48 AM
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Do piano warranties cover bullet holes?

Probably not. But if someone is shooting at you -- and you aren't armed -- the warranty is the least of your worries. grin
Posted By: Briguy65 Re: Never bring a gun to a piano fight! - 02/23/12 06:23 AM
I really enjoyed this movie -- I recently saw that scene again. I didn't know it was a Cunningham piano taking out the Russian thug :p
Posted By: Rafterman Re: Never bring a gun to a piano fight! - 02/23/12 07:43 AM
That was an awesome interesting post! I love little movie details like that.
Posted By: Mark R. Re: Never bring a gun to a piano fight! - 02/23/12 09:42 AM
Now I finally understand the American expression: "shooting some finish".

Not wishing to derail this thread, I must add though that every time I see such a scene, I'm amazed at the freely accessible depiction of gratuitous, lethal violence, and yet, when the screen even remotely shows two people doing what comes most naturally, censors and "concerned citizens" become all riled up... The bog mindles.

Anyway, Rich, congratulations on the extra jiffy leads. smile
Posted By: casinitaly Re: Never bring a gun to a piano fight! - 02/23/12 09:51 AM
I had seen mention of the fact you had supplied the piano for this film somewhere else, in a different thread. When we watched the film I told my husband ..."hey, a guy in Piano World supplied that piano, and it is in their shop!" - He thought that was pretty cool. (So did I)
Posted By: Dave Horne Re: Never bring a gun to a piano fight! - 02/23/12 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by Steve Cohen

grin

First laugh of the day!

grin

Hey Steve,

Funny. But I think this thread may have just stumbled on a great new way to market pianos! This might be the beginning of a new trend in personal and home safety. Just think:

"Safety is key!

If you find yourself lost in a bad neighborhood make sure you are packing a Cunningham piano... Just in case." laugh

Or:

"Who needs those hard to use, unwieldy, and ugly home burglar alarms? Beautify your home while you keep your family safe... with Cunningham Piano!"

What do you think??
Posted By: Rickster Re: Never bring a gun to a piano fight! - 02/23/12 06:07 PM
If you find yourself lost in a bad neighborhood make sure you are packing a Cunningham piano... Just in case." laugh

Hey Rich, do you have a holster for that piano? wink grin

Rick
Posted By: Steve Cohen Re: Never bring a gun to a piano fight! - 02/23/12 06:36 PM

grin

Hey Steve,

Funny. But I think this thread may have just stumbled on a great new way to market pianos! This might be the beginning of a new trend in personal and home safety. Just think:

"Safety is key!

Or:

"Who needs those hard to use, unwieldy, and ugly home burglar alarms? Beautify your home while you keep your family safe... with Cunningham Piano!"

What do you think??

Sounds like a great marketing plan. Should I change your ad in Piano Buyer?
Posted By: Diane... Re: Never bring a gun to a piano fight! - 02/23/12 09:28 PM
I remember seeing this movie, and I remember thinking "that piano is so glossy, how could someone let this happen to a piano this nice!"!

That scene troubled me a lot!
Posted By: ClsscLib Re: Never bring a gun to a piano fight! - 02/23/12 10:05 PM
I'd like to see someone try to do THAT with a digital piano!
We are seriously trying to come up with an idea using this actual piano that would support a worthy charity.

Since I totally respect this group I have to ask the question. Does anyone have any ideas they wouldn't mind sharing here?
Posted By: allthumbs Re: Never bring a gun to a piano fight! - 09/24/12 07:23 PM
We are seriously trying to come up with an idea using this actual piano that would support a worthy charity.

Since I totally respect this group I have to ask the question. Does anyone have any ideas they wouldn't mind sharing here?

Cool story...

What is the status of the piano now? Were the guts ever re-installed and if so is it still playable?

I'll bet that the piano could be auctioned off to some movie buff, maybe even a piano playing one.

Originally Posted by allthumbs

I'll bet that the piano could be auctioned off to some movie buff, maybe even a piano playing one.

Does Clint Eastwood need a piano these days?

Forrest
You should have demonstrated that piano when I was in your shop, Rich. It would have been a lot lighter for going up the stairs! Was there a bullet-hole discount?
Posted By: thetandyman Re: Never bring a gun to a piano fight! - 09/24/12 11:36 PM
My piano doesn't have any slugs in it, but one of my tuxes has 2, 22 cal holes in the rear. Nobody can see it onstage. My neighbors can hear me playing the piano and I put a Colt 45 auto on the right side of the music rack when playing, just in case. (they don't like my tune "Go Tell Aunt Rhody" LOL!
Just for fun, here is a cool image of the actual piano in our warehouse. Notice the .22 caliber bullets are still in the piano lid:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: thetandyman Re: Never bring a gun to a piano fight! - 09/25/12 10:42 PM
Rich, they need to offer a Kevlar piano cover for rough neighborhoods.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums