Piano World Home Page

Entry-level silent piano with light action?

Posted By: Jan Oliver

Entry-level silent piano with light action? - 07/11/11 04:40 PM

Dear forum experts,

I'm looking for a new entry-level acoustic piano with a silent option for my mother-in-law. Her fingers aren't as strong as they used to be, and she wants a very light action. We're replacing an old upright that won't hold its tuning anymore, but she appreciates its light (though worn-out) action. I got a Yamaha b3 Silent (a European model) for a relative before and like its Silent Piano feature, but the action is a bit heavy. Price range around 3000-5000 €. We're going shopping on Saturday. Any recommendations? Thanks!

- Jan

Posted By: gnuboi

Re: Entry-level silent piano with light action? - 07/11/11 06:57 PM

When you go shopping, ask if the weight can be adjusted. It could be sufficiently time-consuming that the dealer would need to ask for a fee.

Is the practice pedal not enough as a silent feature? smile If one is using headphones all the time... would a digital piano be a better fit?

I don't know if Story and Clark is available in Europe, but they are inexpensive and come with sensors which puts you halfway toward the silent feature. The dealer can add the remaining components.
Posted By: casinitaly

Re: Entry-level silent piano with light action? - 07/11/11 08:14 PM

I've got a Yamaha P112N with a silent feature, however they don't make it anymore - It is similar to a B2 in size.

I find it reasonably light compared to other pianos I've tried, though I admit I have not got a huge amount of experience.

gnuboi, If I understand correctly the practice pedal muffles the sound of the hammers hitting the strings. I don't know what it does for the "feel" of the keys.

With the silent feature you can hear the music properly - and with right pedal effect as well.

I tend to use it only if I want to play early in the day, or late at night - or if I'm doing something that others would find really tedious to listen to for any amount of time.

Posted By: Steve Cohen

Re: Entry-level silent piano with light action? - 07/11/11 08:21 PM

You might want to take a look at the PitchLock Touch Rail System.
Posted By: PianoWorksATL

Re: Entry-level silent piano with light action? - 07/11/11 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by gnuboi
I don't know if Story and Clark is available in Europe, but they are inexpensive and come with sensors which puts you halfway toward the silent feature. The dealer can add the remaining components.
You can get these pianos with a complete silent system, however, I would say the actions are average weight, not heavy, but not very light either.

If the key criteria are light action + silent option, a digital piano is an easier match. Some Yamaha digital actions are on the lighter side as well as Roland's PHA (alpha) II action. Among Roland, I would try the RP-201 or the F-110. They are progressively weighted, but probably only 85%-90% of typical weight.

The better digitals may still have a light enough action for her and satisfy her needs. If you've not tried digitals recently, you may need to schedule a shopping trip before you make your decision.
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums