Piano World Home Page
Posted By: amt7565 Yamaha G2 price - 05/24/07 12:50 AM
Hello-
There is a Yamaha G2 year 1971 model for $6000.00. The add says its immaculate. Is this a reasonable price for a piano this old?

Thank you.
Posted By: pianobroker Re: Yamaha G2 price - 05/24/07 09:26 AM
To much $ for a Yamaha that old. Yamaha just started importing pianos late 60's - early seventies even under the Story & Clark stencil name. The piano is most likely a used import (gray market)piano. Does it have 2 pedals? You can check on Yamaha's website as to it's origination. Though nothing wrong w/ gray market if in great cond. That is an early G2 scale design. Yamaha altered the G2 scale 14 times over it's production period till the mid nineties. The newer the scale the better. The older the better applies only to vintage American pianos Ex. Steinway, Mason & Hamlin, Baldwin Doesn't apply to Asian pianos. People's interpretation of immaculate is not always the same. I'd look for a newer low milage one unless you like this piano and can acquire it for 3k-3.5k It's probably got some life left in it but due for some restoration soon( dying Bass strings, hard felts) case is not polyester Very costly I'd buy a brand new Yamaha GC1 for 10-11k if you're set on getting a Yamaha
This is only my opinion
Posted By: amt7565 Re: Yamaha G2 price - 05/24/07 12:10 PM
Pianobroker-
Thank you for your valuable comments. Yes the piano has 2 pedals. Apparently the current owner bought it used for $12K last year, so obviously they paid too much. I am going to try playing it this weekend and will take the prices you suggested into consideration. It it's going to require all that work (Bass strings etc,) Then I rather look for something newer. I favor the Baldwins.

Thanks again.
Posted By: Christopher P. Smith Re: Yamaha G2 price - 05/24/07 02:31 PM
Well, the owner definitely overpaid for it last year and I do feel $6k is a bit on the high side for this vintage.

I wonder why this person is selling it so soon?
Posted By: Steve Cohen Re: Yamaha G2 price - 05/24/07 02:50 PM
Just for clarification:

Yamaha began importing pianos in May, 1961, not in the late 60's.

I should know, we were the oldest Yamaha dealership in the USA, 1961-1998.

In this case, the $6000 price IS high, unless the piano has been reconditioned with new pins, strings and hammers at a minimum.
Posted By: pianobroker Re: Yamaha G2 price - 05/24/07 05:36 PM
Even if it was rebuilt, still not worth 6k You would never get it to the same original precision level as the Yamaha Hamamatsu factory /new piano. A piano design engineer from the Yamaha factory came to our restoration facility last year to inquire as for restoration jigs/machines we manufacture. At first I couldn't understand how the Japanese could manufacture such a great precision piano but their restoration level being of low quality. Restoration is mostly hand work as opposed to CNC machines. Ive seen Asian R & R grand pianos (reconditioned) Not to good! Plus the piano is of an old scale design
Even if it was reconditioned I'd look for an all original newer one or put the extra $ in and buy a new one Only my opinion Good luck in your search
Posted By: amt7565 Re: Yamaha G2 price - 05/26/07 01:23 AM
Thanks everyone- I am going to try and check this piano out this weekend. I will you know what I find out.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums