Piano World Home Page

Piano journey came to an end today - used Kawai upright

Posted By: Mati

Piano journey came to an end today - used Kawai upright - 01/24/11 08:37 PM

Hi!

I've been asking lots of questions about new and used pianos here, possibly driving you nuts. My piano journey came to an end today with my purchase.

After lots of research I've been swinging from new uprights, to used grands, to new Chinese grands, to new Japanese/German grands and to... back to uprights, used this time.

I was pretty much settled on a Chinese made Wendl&Lung grand piano, but two things happened:

• we measured the room carefuly with my family, and whereas I would happily sacrifice the living space for the piano, my family would not and we decided a grand IS a stretch after all, essentially coming back to the upright stage
  • budget for a grand would be stretched as well... and I decided I wanted to play the piano, and not look for it another year or so

This is when things started happening faster than before. I have found a reputable piano dealer and researched their credentials. After finding many happy customers, both individual and institutional, I decided that trusting them is a reasonable idea and I took a trip to their showroom. They are well known for piano sales, repairs, rebuilds and they have wonderful technicians working for our major concert halls.

I've sampled used Yamaha and Kawai uprights, mostly 15 - 30 years old (the used pianos market in Poland is very small, as is the whole piano industry here - younger pianos simply do not sell), but in pristine condition.

After playing more than 10 pianos at the showroom I kept coming back to a single Kawai upright, a 51" KU3 model. It had this warm, rich tone without overly bright treble, with deep bass. It also had the keyboard feel I loved - I never really enjoyed Yamaha's typical "stiffness" (I don't know if this is the proper word to describe the feel).

I carefuly checked the piano, each single key with and without pedals, I also checked the hammers and finish. The piano really looks like new and is in great condition.

Making long story short - I took the plunge and the piano is now mine. Delivery in late February, as I have to prepare my house for the new baby beforehand.

I wanted to thank all of you for being so supportive. If it wasn't for your advice and the knowledge I gathered while carefuly reading this forum, I would have never decided on a piano myself. And I wouldn't be so convinced that I made a right decision for myself. Thank you!

I forgot to take the photo before taking the front cover, so only two pics as for now.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Now... I can't wait!

Best regards,
Mateusz
Posted By: Pianolance

Re: Piano journey came to an end today - used Kawai upright - 01/24/11 08:43 PM

It looks like a beauty. Congradulations on your excellent family addition.
Posted By: BB Player

Re: Piano journey came to an end today - used Kawai upright - 01/24/11 08:45 PM

Looks very nice! Congratulations on your new piano, I know you've been looking for a while.
Posted By: Strings & Wood

Re: Piano journey came to an end today - used Kawai upright - 01/24/11 08:56 PM

Congratulations, Mati!
The KU-3 looks wonderful. The photos look to be an invitation to play. Wish I could take her/he for a spin. smile
Posted By: liszt85

Re: Piano journey came to an end today - used Kawai upright - 01/24/11 09:17 PM

That's a handsome piano! Congrats.
Posted By: Rickster

Re: Piano journey came to an end today - used Kawai upright - 01/24/11 09:29 PM

Congratulations, Mati!

A beautiful piano indeed!

Rick
Posted By: Konzert Patrick

Re: Piano journey came to an end today - used Kawai upright - 01/24/11 09:39 PM

We all love a happy ending! Congratulations smile

When it arrives make sure to post some picture of your new baby in it's new setting!

Patrick
Posted By: casinitaly

Re: Piano journey came to an end today - used Kawai upright - 01/24/11 09:42 PM

Nice looking piano! May you enjoy many years playing it!

Re: Piano journey came to an end today - used Kawai upright - 01/24/11 09:46 PM

Thanks! I will certainly post more pictures when it comes home smile I will also try to post a decent recording as soon as possible, but my recording equipment is not yet there.

It's really nice to hear these warm words, thanks again!

I, also, hope to have many years of tender relationship with my new piano smile
Posted By: Jeff Clef

Re: Piano journey came to an end today - used Kawai upright - 01/25/11 12:08 AM

I love your description of the way it felt to the touch and sounded to the ear. This is the way to have happy relationship with your new piano. And looking good doesn't hurt anything, either.

Congratulations!
Posted By: jotur

Re: Piano journey came to an end today - used Kawai upright - 01/25/11 01:59 AM

That's wonderful! I'm looking forward to both the pics and the recordings.

Cathy
Posted By: RickG1

Re: Piano journey came to an end today - used Kawai upright - 01/25/11 04:38 AM

I am happy for you, I hope for many years of pleasure!!
Posted By: Robert 45

Re: Piano journey came to an end today - used Kawai upright - 01/25/11 05:28 AM

It's a charming story and to find a piano that you love is indeed wonderful. My warmest wishes for many years of happy music making with your beautiful new piano.

Congratulations!
Robert.
Posted By: Monica K.

Re: Piano journey came to an end today - used Kawai upright - 01/25/11 04:07 PM

Congratulations, Mati, on your beautiful Kawai! smile Can't wait to hear it in some upcoming AB forum recital.

Re: Piano journey came to an end today - used Kawai upright - 01/25/11 04:35 PM

I'll let you hear it in the NEXT upcoming AB forum recital, in May :-) I believe it deserves to be recorded properly and not with a digital camera. I am not sure I will manage to arrange a delivery before 15th, not to mention making the tuning stable and setting up the recording environment.

But yes, it will definitely become my primary recording instrument :-)

Thanks!

M.
Posted By: sophial

Re: Piano journey came to an end today - used Kawai upright - 01/25/11 05:51 PM

Congratulatins, Mati! It is wonderful to hear your good news!

Many happy years of playing to you.

Sophia
Posted By: cavity

Re: Piano journey came to an end today - used Kawai upright - 01/25/11 06:12 PM

OMG, it is so pretty!
Posted By: Opus45

Re: Piano journey came to an end today - used Kawai upright - 01/25/11 06:45 PM

Mati,

Very nice looking piano! I noticed it has felt strips installed for sound dampening. I also purchased a similar used Kawai upright about 10 years ago (UST-7), and installed the same dampening felt strips myself. I believe I can tell you without a doubt that you and your family will enjoy that particular feature.

My tuner LOVES this piano and has a standing offer to purchase it from me should I ever decide to sell (not anytime soon!). My UST is not as pretty as yours (designed for use as an institutional piano), but that doesn't lessen my enjoyment one bit.

Congratulations on your new acquisition.

Re: Piano journey came to an end today - used Kawai upright - 01/25/11 08:16 PM

Thanks smile

Yes, these felt strips are much more practical than I thought. I always thought they don't do much, but oh boy they do. I am leaving my digital piano with me, for night time playing and working with my computer, so quiet acuostic is not my biggest problem right now - but I am pretty sure they will come in handy one day.

I can't wait to have it in my home. And I really hope it will be as happy as I am and will sound as beautiful or even more than in the showroom. When it comes to acoustics, I am always a little bit worried - nothing can be taken for granted.
Posted By: terminaldegree

Re: Piano journey came to an end today - used Kawai upright - 01/25/11 08:39 PM

Congrats, Mati-- I know you've been looking for quite a while!
Posted By: M.O.P.

Re: Piano journey came to an end today - used Kawai upright - 01/25/11 08:51 PM

Congratulations! Enjoy your piano!
Posted By: jrcallan

Re: Piano journey came to an end today - used Kawai upright - 01/26/11 12:18 AM

I have a UST-7 currently being regulated (plus some hammer work) at Cunningham's in Philadelphia. I cant' wait to get it back, even though I'm a rank beginner.

Nonetheless, I just have a bias for the quality of Kawai, and yes, the ABS action. I know my UST-7 holds a tuning like a tank. It's no 6'1" grand, but it's a great piano.

Good luck with your beautiful piano.
Posted By: turandot

Re: Piano journey came to an end today - used Kawai upright - 01/26/11 12:44 AM

It looks sharp, Mati.

Enjoy!

No one could accuse you of not being thorough. grin

I've always enjoyed your posts, whether here or on the digital forum.

Re: Piano journey came to an end today - used Kawai upright - 03/03/11 10:53 AM

Due to difficult weather and low temperatures we decided to hold on with the delivery, so as you can see, a lots of time has passed since my purchase. But here it is! My new piano is at home. It already has a nickname (which many people do not understand, but I like naming my instruments) - it's called Yamayuri, which is Japanese for a golden-rayed mountain lily (lilium auratum).

It sits beautifuly in the room, and sounds gorgeous. I was afraid it may overpower the room, but it is just right.

I have no neat bench yet, I will be using one from my digital for a while, so photos are without one. I didn't picture the whole room as it's a bit messy right now. I'm still not living at this place yet, so it's not completely furnished.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Thanks again for all your kind words smile

Now, I just can't sit on the internet when the piano is here - off to play some more! smile

Mateusz
Posted By: apple*

Re: Piano journey came to an end today - used Kawai upright - 03/03/11 11:51 AM

Warmest congratulations Mati..

You chose a wonderful upright. I was thinking as I looked at these last pictures that your walls needed some artwork.. Then I saw very interesting art reflected in the beautiful finish.

I'm very happy for you. (I really liked the Odin Sphere piece)

Re: Piano journey came to an end today - used Kawai upright - 03/03/11 12:00 PM

Thank you apple smile Yes, this wall certainly needs some artwork. I inherited this home after my late Aunt, it's still almost intact. There was a tall wardrobe where now the piano sits, and now as piano is shorter, the bare wall needs some attention. I have a long road to go to make this room a truly my room, but it will come with time smile
Posted By: PassingBy

Re: Piano journey came to an end today - used Kawai upright - 03/03/11 12:09 PM

congratulations! It looks beautiful as it is, but of course, artwork will help tremendously. I harp you will enjoy it for years and Years to come. And by the way, just out of curiosity, what is the name of your Kawai CN21 digital (as you said something about naming your instruments)?

Best wishes,
Rotom

Re: Piano journey came to an end today - used Kawai upright - 03/03/11 12:15 PM

There is none, I tend not to name electronic instruments as they come and go, I never really get truly attached to them. I consider a real piano, or a real violin, a thing with personality, which I don't get when playing a digital.
Posted By: PassingBy

Re: Piano journey came to an end today - used Kawai upright - 03/03/11 12:17 PM

fair enough...have fun with your new one... personality is a really good way to describe an instrument.

rotom

Re: Piano journey came to an end today - used Kawai upright - 03/03/11 12:25 PM

Thank you, Rotom smile I certainly will!
Posted By: lilylady

Re: Piano journey came to an end today - used Kawai upright - 03/03/11 12:35 PM

Boy, are you going to enjoy playing that one!

Love the floor BTW.
Posted By: Les Koltvedt

Re: Piano journey came to an end today - used Kawai upright - 03/03/11 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by apple*
Warmest congratulations Mati..

You chose a wonderful upright. I was thinking as I looked at these last pictures that your walls needed some artwork.. Then I saw very interesting art reflected in the beautiful finish.

I'm very happy for you. (I really liked the Odin Sphere piece)

Apple, looking past the obvious...

Nice piano, enjoy. Your now on the hook to produce a recording for all of us to hear. thumb

Posted By: mikeheel

Re: Piano journey came to an end today - used Kawai upright - 03/03/11 03:33 PM

Very nice; glad you finally got it home. Enjoy!

Re: Piano journey came to an end today - used Kawai upright - 03/05/11 08:44 PM

Sorry for reviving this thread once again, but I've cleaned the room a bit after delivery and tried to make another photo, that would show how beautiful the finish is.

[Linked Image]

Boy, how much joy a real piano can bring.

M.
© 2019 Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums