Piano World Home Page
Posted By: Bob Newbie Glenn Gould fans - 12/28/10 02:09 PM
PBS showed a program last night in my viewing area called
American Masters: Glenn Gould: Inner Genius..check your local schedule for repeat airings of the program..
Posted By: apple* Re: Glenn Gould fans - 12/28/10 02:13 PM
and the opportunity to view it online on PBS. It was excellent.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmas...life-of-glenn-gould/about-the-film/1725/
Posted By: Ovidiu M Re: Glenn Gould fans - 12/28/10 02:33 PM
Thank you Bob. I'm a huge admiarer of Glenn Gould.
Posted By: ToneCanvas Re: Glenn Gould fans - 12/28/10 05:00 PM
Excellent! Thank you!
Posted By: Theodore Slutz Re: Glenn Gould fans - 12/28/10 08:26 PM
Omg, I can't believe I missed that!!! Arggggg! I was waiting for it to come out on video for months and it ends up airing while I was practicing.... @+-#-! I had no idea it was on even after I e mailed their website for any updates and never got a response.

Oh well I guess I can just buy the dvd now like wanted to.

Yahooo!

Ok back to work.
Posted By: RickG1 Re: Glenn Gould fans - 12/29/10 04:19 AM
Yes, we were entertaining friends last night and didn't see it. I will go back to the PBS site and play it. On another list I visit(Pipeorg-l), they were comparing him to Cameron Carpenter, the virtuoso organist, that is popular today.
Posted By: aberfeldy Re: Glenn Gould fans - 12/29/10 04:46 AM
Interesting that Gould is part of an "American" masters series given that he was Canadian!
Posted By: krikorik Re: Glenn Gould fans - 12/29/10 04:52 AM
Originally Posted by aberfeldy
Interesting that Gould is part of an "American" masters series given that he was Canadian!

and where do you think Canada is? In Oceania?
Posted By: liszt85 Re: Glenn Gould fans - 12/29/10 06:32 AM
http://video.pbs.org/video/1696157342
Posted By: Theodore Slutz Re: Glenn Gould fans - 12/29/10 03:34 PM
saw the video online last night... not as good as i thought it would be. there are definitely better documentaries out there on his personal life as well as his performing life... such as the 12 hour miniseries "The Glenn Gould Collection", you can see on veoh.

spent a lot of time on his personal life away from the the piano and much of the second hour on his downward spiral with relationships and the damaging effect of his drug use... not very flattering and without the entirety of his life in context, very incomplete.

that being said it was nice to see how others were effected by his accomplishments and shortcomings and is great reminder that we are all flawed, no matter how talented.

i do think however that there seemed to be some key moments in his life where people could have been there for him and they weren't and that had a very obvious negative effect he didn't get over easily that added to his isolation, anxiety and therefor i think the drug use followed that most likely added to his blood clots. with all the joy he brought so many millions of people i believe it was the responsibility of those people to make his life at least livable but i guess his
perosonality traits were too much to take.

at least we have the best of gould on record... thats the gould i would like to have met.
Posted By: lilylady Re: Glenn Gould fans - 12/30/10 03:58 AM
Thank goodness I found another presentation of it in Boston.

Accentric, genius, talented, his own person.

I'll never listen to his recordings the same again.
Posted By: Silverwood Pianos Re: Glenn Gould fans - 12/31/10 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by krikorik
Originally Posted by aberfeldy

and where do you think Canada is? In Oceania?

Canada is in North America. By the way the listing is presented it is an American show on an American station and the implication is that Gould was an American which we all know is a silly claim to make.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums