2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 7 invisible), 1,242 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Z
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Z
Hi all.

I have HAMMONDITIUS!

I have decided that clones will not do. I have had a lot of them, but I need the real thing - like Dracula needs the blood of virgins.

I have very little money.

I know that the A100 gives the identical sound of a B3. I could buy one. I know the basics - I need a Leslie too.

I recently spotted a HAMMOND L112-2. This seemed ot have what is required, percussion vibrato, chorus, drawbars.

After doing some research I found that the vibrato was not quite right ( . So I ducked the chance. I need 100% authenticity.

There are a lot of organs out there and some are worth little.

There are lists http://theatreorgans.com/hammond/faq/models.html
for example. But this is too comprehensive, what I need is lists of the right models - for THAT sound.

There are the B3's and the cheaper A100s. There is the C series too.

I cant seem to find a list of ONLY those Hammonds that have the 'right of passage' controls, tone generators, percussion, chorus/ vibrato to use.

Like I say this time I need 100 percent authentic.

I don't mind additional buttons, and switches, as long as the core elements are there

Basically I am hoping to find some more obscure models, that can cut the ice.

Does anyone know of some models, beyond the standard.

BTW I am UK

thank you

Z

Last edited by ZeroZero; 06/20/15 04:56 PM.
L
L
Hi ZZ,

I'm assuming when you say "100 percent authentic," you mean a Hammond that has the B3 sound.

Like you said, the A-100s and C3s are the most common Hammonds that have the B3 sound. The only other two I know of are the RT3 and the D100. Both have percussion, chorus, and vibrato like the B3, and both use tubes rather than transistors.

The M3 and M100 are similar to the B3 in some ways, but the M3 doesn't have foldback, and the missing keys (44-key manuals vs. 61 key manuals on the consoles) and small pedalboards put them in a whole different category, at least for me.

Good luck on your search! You mentioned money is a critical issue for you right now. I have a nice C3 now, but I started with an M3. I found the M3 very disappointing for playing jazz (Jimmy Smith, McGriff, McDuff, etc.) because of the missing bass keys and small pedals.

If I were doing it again on the cheap for a first Hammond, I'd start with the E-100 series. They do lack percussion, but that can be added with a Trek unit. But what they have are the full-sized 25 note pedalboard and the 2 61-key manuals. But that's just my humble opinion in hindsight.

Again, best of luck in your search! There's nothing like the sound (and feel, and smell even) of a real tonewheel Hammond.

Z
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Z
Thank you Ludwig,

I have now bagged on - an A100.It's a 1965 and in general good order, though the vibrato scanner needs zapping. Since this post I have been doing a lot of research over in the organ forum. I now know that one has to think about types of capacitors used (red are good like mine), foam, and the vibrato scanner Is' an absorbing hobby for those electrically inclined.

what a great sound she makes

Z

L
L
Congratulations on your A100! That's a great organ. There's nothing like a Hammond.

R
R
i had a A-100 when I got married. I used it to get a Masters of Music even though the 24 note pedal was useless but it is bullet proof.

Mason-Hamlin "A" and Schlicker 2 manual and pedal pipe organ

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission