2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,145 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
kippesc Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Breaking news. New York Times columnist David Pogue just discovered the Yamaha NU1.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/05/t...-yamaha-even-van-cliburn-could-love.html

Steinway B
Yamaha AvantGrand N2
Roland RD-700NX
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
It is a very good digital although I think I will stick with my CLP-990M / CLP-480R combo in which both of them already have great actions and sound. And, the NU1 doesn't have the overall harmonic resonance and sustain/decay as compared with the V-Piano. That is why I now own all of the above.

K
kippesc Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Yes. I like my Roland more than my Yamaha -- more nuanced/expressive. This is after a 3-day weekend revisiting Pianoteq and Ivory 2, in addition to the AG N2. I've lately eschewed my audiophile Sennheiser HD-600s in favor of a set of Bose QC 15s. I'm turning Into a real philistine with my downmarket tastes. But the SN studio grand thru QC 15s is the second best piano in my house, after the real deal NY Steinway B.

Steinway B
Yamaha AvantGrand N2
Roland RD-700NX
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Kippesc, I have read your post, here:

subject: Yamaha AvantGrand NU1 in the NY Times

Breaking news. New York Times columnist David Pogue just discovered the Yamaha NU1.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/05/techno...could-love.html

as I understand your post, Kippesc, the New York Times published an artcile on the AvantGrand digital piano.

I am a beginner piano player and when I read posts, in this forum that mentioned the AvantGrand, I went to my large piano store and asked the sales person if I could play their AvantGrand. The sales person said that one over there. So I dug out my music and play the AvantGrand. It was very nice, but I think all digital pianos are nice. If I didn't have an acoustic, I wouldn't spend $12,000 and taxes on a digital piano but save that to put towards an acoustic. But I have a digital and a second hand 3 legged acoustic piano, so I am humbly grateful to play both and enjoy them both.

3S05VTG

Last edited by Michael_99; 09/05/13 01:39 AM.
K
kippesc Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Not all digital pianos are nice. Some are good. Some really suck.

Steinway B
Yamaha AvantGrand N2
Roland RD-700NX
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Good press coverage for a very nice instrument.

On a completely separate topic:

Originally Posted by Michael_99
3S05VTG

Michael, is this a secret code?

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Good press coverage for a very nice instrument.

On a completely separate topic:

Originally Posted by Michael_99
3S05VTG

Michael, is this a secret code?

James
x

Ham radio call sign? [Linked Image]

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by kippesc
I've lately eschewed my audiophile Sennheiser HD-600s in favor of a set of Bose QC 15s.

Blasphemy!

Is this because of the noise cancellation or do you like the sound reproduction in the Bose better?

K
kippesc Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by gvfarns
I've lately eschewed my audiophile Sennheiser HD-600s in favor of a set of Bose QC 15s.

Blasphemy!

Is this because of the noise cancellation or do you like the sound reproduction in the Bose better?

I believe that it's (i) lower impedance, (ii) noise cancellation, and maybe (iii) EQ. For some reason, I can hear subtle effects like "loom of strings" and hammer noise with the Bose that I NEVER noticed with the Sennheiser. This isn't just a volume thing, though. I'm playing the instrument at the same loudness level. The Bose require far less power to drive. I've not tried a headphone amp on the Roland with the Sennheisers. I had thought the amp unnecessary (Roland volume slider had what looked like plenty of headroom), but maybe I've been wrong.

Steinway B
Yamaha AvantGrand N2
Roland RD-700NX
B
B
I used the QC15's predecessor, the QC2 (which has the same impedance and almost identical tonal characteristics), when I went around several stores to audition DPs three years ago. The noise cancellation feature was useful in noisy stores, and the sound quality was good enough to determine the inherent sound of each DP - and of course, I was familiar with the headphones' coloration from having used it for many years during air travel etc.

However, it cannot be denied that when I used the AKG K271 MkII (which the store threw in free when I bought my DP) with my new V-Piano at home, it was obvious that its sound is rather less colored and more neutral (and has better extreme bass and treble) than the Bose's. And when I upgraded to the Grado SR325is a year later, the gain in realism with the latter is even more striking.

The important factor is that all the three headphones have very similar impedance, so comparing their sound using a DP (or indeed a hi-fi set-up) is straightforward. I think it's very likely that if one is using headphones with high impedance that requires the volume control to be pushed high up, the sound you get won't be optimal. Maybe a bit like listening to high-fi speakers at low volume, when the sound often seems dull - which is the reason for the 'loudness' button on amplifiers, which boosts both low bass and high treble, for listening at low volumes.

If music be the food of love, play on!
K
kippesc Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by gvfarns

Blasphemy!

I believe that it's (i) lower impedance, (ii) noise cancellation, and maybe (iii) EQ. For some reason, I can hear subtle effects like "loom of strings" and hammer noise with the Bose that I NEVER noticed with the Sennheiser. This isn't just a volume thing, though. I'm playing the instrument at the same loudness level. The Bose require far less power to drive. I've not tried a headphone amp on the Roland with the Sennheisers. I had thought the amp unnecessary (Roland volume slider had what looked like plenty of headroom), but maybe I've been wrong.

I went back and forth today, Sennheisers vs Bose QC15s -- it's the noise cancellation that makes these a better choice for me. I'm not in a noisy environment. The air conditioner is modern and centralized, two years old, with new ductwork and low static pressure and new vents. But it's noisy enough on a 100 degree summer day to mask Roland's "string loom" unless I'm using the noise cancellation phones.

Bottom line, if I get the noise out of the system, the piano feels more expressive.

Steinway B
Yamaha AvantGrand N2
Roland RD-700NX

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission