2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, 10 invisible), 2,074 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
dmd Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
I am almost ready to pull the trigger on a Roland FP7F but I thought I would double-check a couple of things before I do so.

Here are some things for your perusal and if you should desire ... comments concerning this purchase.

I have never played the FP7F.

I have played the RD700NX and liked the touch of the keybed.
I also liked the sound with headphones.

It has been said that the FP7F is the home version of the RD700NX.

They both appear to employ the Supernatural sound engine.

They both appear to have the PHA III keyboard action. Although the FP7F details seems to indicate a difference of some sort with the term "Feel-S" in there.

I have no idea what the speaker sound will be on the FP7F but I assume it is passable. I have external powered monitors if necessary to improve the sound.

I see the 700NX has 3 acoustic piano sounds ... Concert, Studio, and Brilliant. I have yet to find that with the FP7F.

I will be using this digital for in-home use with rare excursions to the outside world.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Yes the onboard speakers on FP-7F are passable - but no more than that.

The actions are the same - the slightly different nomenclature relates to the FP-7F having white keys that are all white (other PHA-III actions have a coloured understructure that at a glance looks like wood but is just a different coloured plastic). But it is the same action.

FP-7F pianos are numbered 1, 2 and 3. They are derivatives of the same voice (ie, differently EQ'd) but they are all Supernatural voices. The RD apparently has three distinct SN piano voices.

Good luck,

Steve

D
dmd Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by EssBrace
FP-7F pianos are numbered 1, 2 and 3. They are derivatives of the same voice (ie, differently EQ'd) but they are all Supernatural voices. The RD apparently has three distinct SN piano voices.

Well, that could be a significant difference. I remember selecting the Studio voice in the 700NX and liked it.

I don't think it is a deal breaker, however. I may have to go back and play the 700NX again with that in mind.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Can't elaborate further than Steve really. I will say if this is a more home based purchase go with the FP-7F. If this is a more gigging type purchase, go with the RD-700NX. The NX offers more flexibility for on stage use plus a lot more built in sounds.

I'd like to add that if this is a home based purchase and you're looking for a good piano replacement, also check out the Kawai MP10. I think the RM3 Wooden action is a superior action for piano playing but ultimately it's whatever you prefer.

Oops didn't read to the bottom of your post! blush If you have speakers to plug in, I guess it may make more sense to go with the RD-700NX with additional voices.

Last edited by ZacharyForbes; 01/14/12 03:06 PM.

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Don,

I concur with everything Steve said. If you liked the RD-700NX, I don't think you'll be disappointed with the 7F. Should you pull the trigger, I'd be very interested to read your thoughts comparing the 7F with your CA63. Having had the MP6 alongside the 7F for a while I found the different approaches taken by Kawai and Roland notable and interesting.

Are you buying the Roland to supplement or supersede the Kawai?

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
D
dmd Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by voxpops
Are you buying the Roland to supplement or supersede the Kawai?

I intend to sell the Kawai CA63 in favor of the FP7F.

I love everything about the Kawai except the sound. I have been using software piano sounds and that is working but something in me still yearns for a sound that is coming from the keyboard itself.

Don

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by dmd
I remember selecting the Studio voice in the 700NX and liked it.

I think the FP voices are all derivations of what is called concert grand on the RD. If you particularly like the studio grand (and a few people have mentioned it on PW) then I don't think you are going to find a parallel for it on the FP - as you say it may not be deal breaker for you but it's something to be aware of.

Cheers,

Steve

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by dmd
intend to sell the Kawai CA63 in favor of the FP7F.

Interesting. Looking for a local transaction, then?

D
dmd Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by EssBrace
If you particularly like the studio grand (and a few people have mentioned it on PW) then I don't think you are going to find a parallel for it on the FP

Well, it appears I am going to have to spend some more time on the 700NX with that Studio voice.

I suppose I could just purchase the 700NX but I was hoping I could make use of the built-in speakers. But in consideration of your comment about them being only "passable" I may end up hooked into my powered monitors all of the time anyway.

Don

D
dmd Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by gvfarns
Originally Posted by dmd
intend to sell the Kawai CA63 in favor of the FP7F.

Interesting. Looking for a local transaction, then?

Yes, I am.

Don

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by dmd

I suppose I could just purchase the 700NX but I was hoping I could make use of the built-in speakers. But in consideration of your comment about them being only "passable" I may end up hooked into my powered monitors all of the time anyway.

Relative to the space available in the case, I don't think the onboard speakers are that bad in the 7F. They may benefit from some EQ or piano designer tweaking, but I don't bother to hook them up to my monitors because I find them adequate for practice.

It would be nice to have the other SN pianos available, although Grand Piano 2 on the 7F does give you a sound that is a little crisper than the default, and might be more suited to jazz.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Yes the speakers are ok. I was surprised with the bass. They are better at the top and bottom ends than in the middle where they are a little bit inarticulate in my opinion. But given their size, and the convenience of them, they are quite alright.

Steve

D
dmd Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
I am still gathering information about this possible purchase and I can not find any mention of a nice looking furniture-like stand for the RD 700NX. That would probably be a deal breaker for me since I would be using it primarily for home use.

Can anyone confirm that there is, in fact, no furniture-like stand for the RD 700NX ?

Don

M
M
The Roland RD-700NX is also one of my DP's I'm interested in buying and I've yet to see any furniture stand that goes with it (unless you custom make it). However, the z stands I've seen on youtube look really sturdy even with a heavy DP on them. As long as the piano doesn't wobble, I'm ok with using a z stand.

If you don't think too good, don't think too much (Ted Williams)
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Did you consider the KS-G8 yet? It is very sturdy and looks great. Just keep in mind that it needs more space behind due to the sloped design. A corner is perfect. Here is mine in action:
Thread

Last edited by Amaruk; 01/15/12 05:51 PM.

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
D
dmd Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Amaruk
Did you consider the KS-G8 yet? It is very sturdy and looks great. Just keep in mind that it needs more space behind due to the sloped design. A corner is perfect. Here is mine in action:
Thread

That stand looks pretty good. I think I would go for it instead of the Z stand. Looks more solid.

BTW, that thread you inserted has all but convinced me to take the leap to the 700NX instead of the FP7F.

EDIT: Yikes, I just checked on the price of the KS-F8 ... $250 bucks. Pretty salty. I could probably get someone to build me a nice piece of furniture as a stand for that kind of money.

Last edited by dmd; 01/15/12 06:49 PM.

Don

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
dmd, something like this, perhaps?

[Linked Image]

Given that you are using software for the piano sounds, I assume you intend to purchase the RD-700NX for the keyboard action, correct?

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Yep that's a a nice looking set up there :-)

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
M
M
Very nice setup James! What stands are those? I didn't know that the MP10 comes with stands.

If you don't think too good, don't think too much (Ted Williams)
That photo has 'custom' written all over it (unless, of course, I'm mistaken).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission