2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tea Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I have been looking for a digital piano for a few days now and narrowed my search to Yamaha clp230 and Roland hp102/103. That's about the price range I want to spend. This forum has been of great help by the way, thanks!

I do like the features of the new Yamaha better (half-pedaling, USB, etc.), but I might like the piano action of the Roland more than Yamaha's. Does anyone know when will Roland announce new HP-pianos? Should I wait and see their features or just go and buy the Yamaha?

Does that half-pedaling really matter? How about the Key off or String sample? Any other suggestions and advice, please?

I've been playing the acoustic piano for over a decade, so main criteria for me is the piano sound and feeling, but still I would like to try out some of the other features the digital piano provides.

Thanks a lot!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Tea,

Have you used half pedaling in your acoustic playing? If not, it probably won't be of use to you on the digital. The better Rolands (HP103 and HP107) have key-off and string resonance sampling (or similar terms) in the same manner as Yamaha. But check the specs to see at what model these features kick in. Or just trust your own ears (and stick with your budget).

The Roland HP107 claims to simulate the "escapement" feel of the "real" action. But I found this effect to be elusive. But I am not a good player.

Phil
S
SIS Offline
S
Tea

The only way to get the answers to your questions is to try the piano's out for yourself. A few months ago I tried out the hp101 (a step lower than the two you are interested in) and the Yamaha ydp223. I found the Yamaha keyboard to be much more appealing. I though the Roland lacked 'spring'. For my fingers it felt very unpleasant. At that time I was going to buy the ydp223 but I thought I'd wait until the new 200 series came out before deciding. I'm glad I did because the GH3 action on the 230 (which I bought) is even better than the action on the ydp223. I haven't tried the hp102/103 but I don't think I'd be putting my neck on the block if I said that I am sure the GH3 keyboard is at least equally good as the keyboard on these Roland Models. Of course, it's not just the action that makes your digital. I use the 230 almost exclusively through headphones. On occasion I'll play it through the built in speakers and although I think the sound is ok, I honestly find it gets a bit irritating after a short while. It sounds 'clinky'. The volume you can play at without getting a significant distortion is not very high either (about half way up the scale). Through headphones the sounds are fine though, but watch out for those speakers.

Paul

K
K
to each his own, but I had tried many Korgs, Rolands, and Casio's as well as the Yamahas.

I bought a Yamaha.. for me, they felt better, and they sounded a lot better.

T
Tea Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks for the hints! Next week I'll go again and play the pianos for a while (it's a shame they are in different stores though) and listen carefully how they sound and feel. I'll propably use the piano mostly with the headphones or with low volume since the fact that I live in an apartment building is the reason I'm buying an electric one anyways (+moving too often to carry my acoustic around...) Roland was the first thing I tried out, so now I'll be more experienced to look for the right things.

But, when did the Hp102/103 come to the market and is there any new ones coming up?

Anyone else has experience on the new lcp230 already? Did you like the sound of it?

Maybe in few years I'll let go with the temptation to buy a better/more expensive one with more advanced sampling... But, have to start with the budget.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission