2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 12 invisible), 1,815 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
My piano is 12 years old and the only issue I really have with it is the keys begin to sink and some will start to plunk when pressed down as if I have released the key when I haven't. It's a Kawai CN 470 digital. I decided to take the piano apart to see if I could find the source of the problem and I discovered it was the 1/16 inch thick gel tabs between the hammer mechanism and the key itself. Some were cracked and others had fallen off the platform completely. I moved all of the bad ones to the edges of the keyboard so the area I play the most would have the best ones left. This held up for a half a year or so. I've recently had to go back in again to re-position them as they've fallen off yet again. This time I decided to take pictures to ask for advice. Does anyone know where I can buy replacements of these rubbery gel tabs or what I might be able to use instead of them? They're about 1/16 of an inch thick, 3/16 of an inch wide and 9/16th tall. They are sticky on both sides and one side had a plastic covering where the key slides against it. Here are a few pictures:

Uneven keys before opening:
http://i.imgur.com/k00dTTU.jpg

"Good" keys:
http://i.imgur.com/qBTzt4Z.jpg

Good on the right, sunken keys on the left:
http://i.imgur.com/nYJwbEn.jpg

The bad section:
http://i.imgur.com/oJczXCh.jpg

Last edited by Simba007; 07/22/15 02:29 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Simba007, I would advise contacting the dealer from whom the piano was purchased, and/or the Kawai distributor in your country. There is no guarantee that spare parts for the CN470 will still be available, but the dealer/distributor should be able to advise on any repair/refurbishment possibilities.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
If the dealer has nothing, I'd see if using pieces of "tesamoll", a product line of tesa to insulate/stop drought through windows, doors etc. or equivalent (there are other vendors) would help.

See what the characteristics of the best of the remaining gel tabs are: size (mostly height), "springiness", power needed to deform, time to re-form etc. is and then see what material from the next home improvement store would fit :-)

Thanks for the photos, I always find this stuff fascinating. And good luck on the repairs!

One other thing: see if there is a "repair cafe" in your neighborhood, they are all over the world and the people there have a lot of ideas on which materials/products can be used to fix what.

Last edited by Hendrik42; 07/23/15 04:12 AM. Reason: Repair Cafe note

Kawai CN35. Daughter wanted a piano, so we got one. Now who'll learn faster? ;-)

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission