2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Craig Hair, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, Davidnewmind, 5 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
Hi!
Recently performed a program including these three works by Chopin.
I'm not pleased with my performances, but I am unsatisfied by about 98 percent of recordings of these works (10/1 was kind of a throw-away--it's not technically proficient enough yet to demonstrate any sort of interpretation).
Scherzo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1BMrtUmMY0
Nocturne:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjBttVgwQxk
Etude:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7dAc58Nq2Y

I also performed the complete Waldstein Sonata:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?edit=vd&v=Tsn1-kgKOC4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfYOF-Q1PaI

And Stravinsky's Petrushka (NEVER PUT THIS AT THE END OF A PROGRAM!!!!!!!!!! It's already practically impossible, but with dead hands... anyway don't judge me on this...)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ay37K-6Mbo

Last edited by Piano Person16; 11/20/13 01:49 PM.

Working on: Rachmaninov concerto 3, Mozart K488, Beethoven Waldstein, Bach Goldberg Variations, Stravinsky Petrushka, Bach Art of the Fugue, Brahms 118, Rachmaninov op. 39 no. 6 (Red Riding Hood), Chopin etude op. 10 no. 1, Chopin nocturne op. 55 no. 2, Bach Prelude and Fugue in g# minor (Book 2)
H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
I listened to the Scherzo and the Etude.

First of all you should be satisfied with 98 percent of these recordings. Bravo! It is apparent that you are exceptionally talented.

For the 2 percent:

Maybe some less rubato at the choral section of the Scherzo and a more accurate coda.

Maybe a more stable tempo with the etude and some more accents as noted.

That said I very much enjoyed your performances. Thanks for sharing.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Nicely done! So far I've heard your performance of the etude and the scherzo. After that I was distracted by your Bach Prelude and Fugue in G major. I played the prelude in the past and was curious. I was floored by this performance, especially the fugue. I never played the fugue but your marvelous performance of it has inspired me to give it a look again. Thanks for sharing.

While I really enjoyed the Etude and Scherzo, I found the Scherzo to be a bit technical and could be improved by more dynamic contrast and something that I can only describe as more drama. I'm sure you will get there. I think you are quite fine with the details and any missed notes are quite irrelevant in my opinion. It's more the big picture that I'm thinking, especially noticeable in the coda. With the technique you've got, feel free to get a little bombastic here.

M
M
Liszt himself wasn't satisfied with is technique...
May I ask if there is a reason to play the fast octaves of coda the way you played? I used to play them with both hands (throwing some notes away) or with glissando (not possible in every piano at first attempt). From recordings I suppose Horowitz played it as you did, but most others I think played that octaves glissando, and in a video I saw Barenboim playing them with both hands, leaving more notes unplayed than the way I used to play, surprisingly the difference is not audible shocked
Something similar happens with fast octaves from first movement of Beethoven's first piano concerto, but they are slower...

Last edited by Marcos Daniel; 11/20/13 11:52 PM.

Pianoteq / Kawai CL 35 & MP11 / Old 1920's Upright Zimmerman
P
OP Offline
P
Well actually, until recently, I never realized there was another option. I usually don't miss them...
They aren't marked as glissandos, and I see no reason to take them in both hands if I don't have to! Anyway, I have relatively small hands (a ninth is a stretch) so octave glissandos are off the table smile

If I had the technique attributed to Liszt, I would be quite a different musician smile My "musicality" disappears when I can't technically execute.

Also, I agree that the scherzo is too "technical" sounding. That is partially a result of my lack of tone and control in the chorale sections, and partially due to my ambivalence about Chopin. I love listening to it, but I have no real personal connection. Hence the specialization in Bach! Haha.

Speaking of Bach, I must include that the G major prelude and fugue from book 2 is one of my least favorite of the whole 48. It was quite a struggle to interpret, and I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed it.

Last edited by Piano Person16; 11/21/13 12:58 AM.

Working on: Rachmaninov concerto 3, Mozart K488, Beethoven Waldstein, Bach Goldberg Variations, Stravinsky Petrushka, Bach Art of the Fugue, Brahms 118, Rachmaninov op. 39 no. 6 (Red Riding Hood), Chopin etude op. 10 no. 1, Chopin nocturne op. 55 no. 2, Bach Prelude and Fugue in g# minor (Book 2)
M
M
I was told to "cheat" using that tricks as option to play those "impossibly fast octaves", until I heard Horowitz recording I thought no one played those octaves as "pure" octaves, I don't have big hands meither, so form me, glissando works in some pianos and doesn't in other, that's why I used to play in the safe side (with both hands).

Pianoteq / Kawai CL 35 & MP11 / Old 1920's Upright Zimmerman
P
OP Offline
P
Well then, I must concede that the only recording I ever listened to was Horowitz's; it (along with his appassionata) played over and over in the car for over a year. That was why I learned the piece originally--I was quite obsessed with that recording as a twelve year old. I suppose remnants of his interpretation must have stuck smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission