2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,590 guests, and 218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Here's the midi(you might wanna turn down your volume a bit): https://soundcloud.com/user110234910/fantasy-op-1-midi

I don't have any virtual instruments installed on Sibelius, so i know it sounds awful. The arpeggi aren't played back correctly and the glissandi aren't played back at all, but it should be listenable. It will probably take me a few weeks to be able to play it, and i don't have any decent mics either, unfortunately frown

All criticism is welcome, but don't expect much from a 17 year old's first piece!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Svenno; 06/30/14 08:40 AM.
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
No response? so it's that horrible?

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Have patience.

Regards,

Polyphonist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Don't fret. This forum is really desolate. Since you obviously want some sort of response, I guess I can conjure one up.

This piece isn't the best thing ever written, that's for sure. grin Your rate of development is very slow, especially with that right hand figure lasting for a minute and a half. That got boring pretty quick. Also, a lot of the left hand progressions were predictable. Try to avoid that. There was also a lack of refinery in the writing. It's very random and doesn't make much sense. Oh yeah, and the score is horrendous. Basically, all the tell-tale signs of a first composition. Don't feel bummed out. After all, it was strange and interesting. Not all aspects of it were bad.

You're not talentless. Keep composing, you will improve, it's obvious. My advice would be to start small. Practice refining your writing. I started when I was your age too, and I've gotten significantly better. (I'm 19 now)

I'd also advise you to study composition. Learn about motival introductions and developments, and form. This is something I'm still working on.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoelW
Don't fret. This forum is really desolate. Since you obviously want some sort of response, I guess I can conjure one up.

This piece isn't the best thing ever written, that's for sure. grin Your rate of development is very slow, especially with that right hand figure lasting for a minute and a half. That got boring pretty quick. Also, a lot of the left hand progressions were predictable. Try to avoid that. There was also a lack of refinery in the writing. It's very random and doesn't make much sense. Oh yeah, and the score is horrendous. Basically, all the tell-tale signs of a first composition. Don't feel bummed out. After all, it was strange and interesting. Not all aspects of it were bad.

You're not talentless. Keep composing, you will improve, it's obvious. My advice would be to start small. Practice refining your writing. I started when I was your age too, and I've gotten significantly better. (I'm 19 now)

I'd also advise you to study composition. Learn about motival introductions and developments, and form. This is something I'm still working on.

I thought the right hand figure would probably be very boring... that's why i added those weird ornaments. But it failed to make it more exciting, i guess.

I hope there's enough material on composition to study online, because i can't study composition in school this year yet.

Also...
Oh yeah, and the score is horrendous.

care to explain a bit further, what you meant by that? What aspects of it you think are horrendous? I'd really like to know.

Last edited by Svenno; 07/01/14 05:24 AM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A lot of it is very compacted. You also have a lot of clashing elements, among other things.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Certain spots are very compacted. Make more room for them. You also have a lot of clashing elements.

ahh.. that. Yes, know. It's because i wanted to fit it into 9 pages, instead of the 10th page consiting of just one system.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Svenno,

If you're interested, I'd like to see you write a page-long prelude or something. Show me what you can do with a page, and I will more easily be able to critique it. It will be a good exercise for you.

L
L
To me this piece reminds alot about what Andreas Wollenweider write.

L
L
This forum is really desolate.

Where are the composers hanging out?

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by larryz
This forum is really desolate.
Where are the composers hanging out?
People say this sort of thing fairly often, but I don't think it's desolate. At times, yes, it has very little traffic. But there have been some very interesting discussions here in my time, and some very interesting music posted. Many of us are busy people, and some of us have internet connectivity problems (that would be me) which make things difficult. I don't tend to comment much on music that doesn't interest me (I give Chopin pastiche pieces a miss, for example) but there are composers here whose music I'll always check out (Nikolas, Steve, mrenaud for example). I think you just have to be patient. smile
Where are the composers hanging out? Maybe they're in their studies, composing! Or in my case, wishing I had the time to compose.

Du holde Kunst...

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission