2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,808 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
mrenaud Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Hello everyone

Here's my newest composition, a quintet for amplified soprano, clarinet, cello, percussion and prepared piano, called "Die Menschheit" ("humanity"), on a poem by German expressionist poet August Stramm. The performance was great, but the recording is a bit rough around the edges (I only had a Zoom H4 and particularly the soprano is not quite as audible as she was in concert).

Anyway, here it is: http://chirb.it/afbhgA

Please let me know what you think. help

I have an ice cream. I cannot mail it, for it will melt.
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
I'd make sure your link works before you post it here.

Regards,

Polyphonist
M
mrenaud Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
It did, but I had to remove it because Mixcloud insists on following any piece of music with another one that is totally random and most likely not fitting at all.

So I had to find a new hosting site, here's the new link:

http://chirb.it/afbhgA

I have an ice cream. I cannot mail it, for it will melt.
S
S
This is not a style a music I am particularly familiar with so I don't feel I can give a useful critique. However, I will provide my impressions. I get the sense that this is well done. It sounds like a mature piece of music. It is very haunting, mysterious, even rather creepy. It is not really something I would listen to in my spare time, necessarily, but also it is quite interesting. To me, it feels somewhat repetitive, what I listened to of it anyways, not because the music doesn't change but because I can't really latch on to what's going on harmonically. Like I said, I am not familiar with this style, I'm not sure if it's atonal or what but my ear just isn't trained for this kind of music.

My girlfriend listened to this with me and she really liked it. She said it reminds her of Dresden Dolls, which I think is a strange comparison but I sort of see where she is coming from. Some of the vocal rhythms reminded me a little bit of punk rock, or some 80s band, or something.

I didn't hear the whole thing, just the first five minutes, not sure if the music drastically changes at some point but here you have my impression of what I heard. Hope this helps in some way.

S
S
Oh by the way the prepared piano sounds are great. Very eerie effects. And the vocalist seems like she's really into it, which is good.

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Hi, mrenaud! Well, after a first listening, I felt that I had to see what the poem "Die Menschheit" was all about -- and was surprised to see that it is a poem that "reads" very musically, and cries out for a musical setting of some sort. I can tell you that your approach was very reminiscent of the American composer Harry Partch -- a man who invented his own instruments and who set, among other things, various graffiti scrawlings to music (in his "Barstow, California" composition). It also reminded me of some of George Crumb's most recent work, in which he has set various American folksongs using his highly unique, and highly subtle, instrumentation.

I confess to not being much of a fan of Sprechstimme -- but I thought the piece was rhythmically very incisive, chock-full of interesting sonorities, and moved logically in accordance with the implications of the poem. Thanks for sharing this!

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Wow! Thanks for sharing this, mrenaud. I found it very involving. Like Tim, I looked up the poem afterwards, but I understood enough of the words on first listening to get some of the drift, I think. Particularly liked the last 2 minutes or so. I was feeling a bit jaded about PW (how much Chopin can you take?) but this really engaged me (as did a previous work of yours which you posted some time ago). I'll be listening to it again!

Du holde Kunst...

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission