2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
Hello.

I am 24 yrs, old, from NYC, and have finally decided to pursue a degree in composition. My music background consists only of private piano lessons, though most recently with a professor at one of the big conservatories. I have been studying on and off since I was five, though I would consider myself an intermediate pianist. My knowledge of theory is limited, and though I have written hundreds of popular songs, my knowledge of formal composition is laughable.

What specific steps should I take to become qualified for admission at one of the schools in my area?

Sincerest thanks,
JD

Hi JD,
Theory is a big deal. Your pop music knowledge isn't going to do you much good. You're going to need an original composition(s) to audition with - something that would fall into the category of "western art music." You may be asked to demonstrate some analysis ability of famous works (like a Debussy prelude or a Schoenberg piece).

Also consider the co-requisite things like being in a major ensemble (like choir or orchestra), and the time you must spend doing things that aren't composing. You'll have to develop listening skills to the point where you can write down dictated melodies and harmonic progressions that involve chromaticism, modulations, and atonality. Another thing to consider is the speed at which you compose. If you're a slow composer, it will place added stress on you (because you have to compose to demonstrate your progress), and you'll always feel like you're trying to catch up. There are deadlines that you must meet. What I'm trying to convey here, is that it's not just about being creative.

My advice to you is to get going with theory, compose something that you can audition with (and be able to explain it), and practice your aural skills. Get the audition guidlines from schools that you're looking at and direct your time accordingly.

J
OP Offline
J
Originally posted by Harmosis:
You're going to need an original composition(s) to audition with - something that would fall into the category of "western art music."

My advice to you is to get going with theory, compose something that you can audition with (and be able to explain it), and practice your aural skills.
I appreciate your help, Harmosis. How complex should my audition pieces be? Is a solo piano waltz acceptable? Or am I expected to be composing sonatas and concertos? Also, I ultimately would like to compose sacred music, so would a hymntune set to a psalm be appropriate, or too simple?

Lastly, any advice on theory literature and/or aural exercises?

A solo piano waltz should be fine (depending on the school you audition for). Make sure your voice leading is good. Maybe put in a nice modulation. A 4-part choral piece in hymn style would work as well (again depending on the school). Do them both. Simple is OK, just make sure your harmony and voice leading are solid.

For aural exercising, you can get a progam like Musica Practica or Auralia. Or have someone work with you. You'll probably have to take a placement exam in theory and dictation which will determine what classes you need to take. Your aural skills probably won't be factor in acceptance (again depending on the school). But, it's good to get that going now.

There are many theory books. One book I'd recommend is Theory for today's musician by Ralph Turek (McGraw Hill). It's one of many college text books on the subject.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Hi John,

My first response to your inquiry was along the lines of why would you want to do that (get a composition degree)? The life of a composer is not what it once may have been. Composing is indeed fun, but trying to make a living at it isn't. Besides, beyond a thorough grounding in theory the only course work you need is 20th century techniques and orchestration (and then a lot of practice). In the first of those two you'll learn a lot about musical techniques that are passe (but helpful to be aware of) and the second takes far longer than one semester to master. You could do those two courses while pursuing a more lucrative aspect of music such as conducting or education (certainly not piano performance). Admittedly my tongue has been firmly planted in my cheek as I write this, but there is some truth to everything I've written. My advice is go to law school.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
J
OP Offline
J
Originally posted by Steve Chandler:
Hi John,

My first response to your inquiry was along the lines of why would you want to do that (get a composition degree)? The life of a composer is not what it once may have been. Composing is indeed fun, but trying to make a living at it isn't. Besides, beyond a thorough grounding in theory the only course work you need is 20th century techniques and orchestration (and then a lot of practice). In the first of those two you'll learn a lot about musical techniques that are passe (but helpful to be aware of) and the second takes far longer than one semester to master. You could do those two courses while pursuing a more lucrative aspect of music such as conducting or education (certainly not piano performance). Admittedly my tongue has been firmly planted in my cheek as I write this, but there is some truth to everything I've written. My advice is go to law school.
Thanks, Steve. I understand where you're coming from, but my ultimate goal is service---I'd like to work for the church (music director, organist, composer of sacred works). Foolish as it may seem, I have no interest in money.

However, I do have an interest in academia, and will most likely be pursuing my education through the doctoral level. Why composition versus education or conducting? Simple---I have little personal interest in these areas. Is formal education the best pursuit of compositional study? Probably not, but some tough life lessons have taught me that it is often beneficial to be a highly credentialed student of a highly specialized field.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I would suggest three things:

1) Build your portfolio. It doesn't matter so much what's in it, just have a group of pieces ready so that the faculty can get an idea of your style. Go ahead and include a popular song or two. It won't show off your harmonic skills, but it will show that you have a basic understanding of phrasing and melodic writing.

2) Write something for Woodwind quintet. Get to know how transposing instruments work and how to write idiomatically for the instrument. Get an instrumentation textbook and do some of the exercises.

3) Get to know some technology. If you have some money, invest in something like Logic or ProTools, especially if you have an interest in commercial music or film music. Get familiar with Finale or Sibelius, too. It'll save you a LOT of time in the future.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission