2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Colin Miles, bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 10 invisible), 1,930 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
adak Offline OP
OP Offline
(hi i just found out about this section of the forum after another member suggested i should post here)

i am starting piano, adult so i am not growing anymore. just did a measurement, i can do a comfortable 9, edged 10, and stretched 11. i have been reading and that is the median for men, would i have issues because it seems african americans have larger hands than average.

i read you need to be comfortable with 11ths (for mozart?), just to get around the keyboard for most music without any compromises (although if we all had russian hands then this wouldn't be an issue).

what are "walking bass line 10ths"? can someone post an example.

what are some exercises to increase the span of my hand? how much can i go? i would like a comfortable 11th but that seems like a stretch. i can settle for a 10 but i assume some chord combinations would be difficult and awkward.

i am also slightly double jointed on my thumbs (45 degrees), would that help or hinder? trying to see if i could get a stretch somehow.

what is a beeline stretch for your hand, can someone a pic?

here is my hand:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Casio Privia PX-150

Z
Z
practice yoga for your hands.

J
J
Its all about the limber stretching. Yuja Wang has tiny hands but she can reach twice the range that she should be able to. You need to do some exercises to stretch out the parts that are restricting your reach. It is the same as touching your toes: when you start you can barely touch your knees, then you can touch your toes, then you can basically fold yourself in half. Because of guitar, my left hand (fretting hand) can reach about 1 1/2" further than my right hand so I have to do stretches on my right hand to catch up.

T
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
T
I searched Google images for walking 10ths, hoping to find this notated, but no luck. Basically, the little finger of the left hand plays a bass line - say -
C, D, D#, E,
F, G, G#, A
while the thumb plays 10ths, above -
E, F, F#, G
A, B flat, B natural, C
etc.

Hope this is clear. When 10ths can't be played together - D to F#, for example - they are often "rolled" - appegiated, in effect. I'd be careful about painful stretching.

Last edited by tend to rush; 03/05/13 08:53 AM.
T
T
Originally Posted by adak

i read you need to be comfortable with 11ths (for mozart?), just to get around the keyboard for most music without any compromises (although if we all had russian hands then this wouldn't be an issue).

I'd call into question the knowledge of whoever told you this. Mozart very rarely, if ever, demands such a large hand span. Some later music does frequently involve larger harmonic intervals, but pianists with small hands find ways around most of the challenges that their hand size presents. (Sometimes this involves interpretive choices -- such as rolling or otherwise splitting a large chord in such a way as to convince the audience that it was intended to be played that way.)

You can, of course, do exercises to improve the flexibility of your hands, but care should always be taken to maintain healthy technique -- you don't want to injure your hands in an attempt to increase their versatility. By and large, the more important thing to do is to learn to use the hands that you have to their best advantage and potential -- and how you do that will depend on what sort of music you're playing, etc. (A subject for another thread -- or many threads.)

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission