2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,725 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1778839 10/28/11 02:11 PM
OP Offline
Just a bit about my teacher search. This is long, you are warned. wink

For the last week I've talked to three different teachers. The first woman was nice but it took her forever to return calls, the second was very short with me and cranky when I asked questions. She was seriously a bit scary, I felt like she might smack my hand if I got something wrong! help The third was very friendly and kind and out of all three has the most teaching experience, 35 years. Maybe that's why her professionalism in returning calls and attitude was better.

She actually lives in the next town over which is a bit out of the way but I really liked her, my Husband works for the PR dept of the local university where she lives so I'm at least very familiar with the town, takes about 30 mins to get there. What's funny is when I met her my Husband came with me and her Husband was there and come to find out he is one of the professors at the University. Besides working there my Husband graduated from there as well and the man was his history teacher lol it was pretty funny and they talked quite a long time, even though they see each other at work. Men!

So I feel like it's all working out, finally, after forever wanting to do this, and properly with a real teacher. I've been messing around with Alfred's self-taught method since I received my piano but I really want someone I can ask questions and to give me instruction where a book can't. Worth the extra cost imo, and my Husband has been pushing me to not lock my self in the house, I work from home so I'm here a LOT. smile

I go once a week and start next Tuesday, after that I'll go every monday. I need to find the Faber & Faber Adult Piano Adventures book 1 this weekend, we have several music stores so hopefully one will have it, if not i'll need to rush it from amazon.

I'm also a bit proud of me, over the years I've worked through severe anxiety/agoraphobia and if this was the me just 10 years ago there is NO WAY I would be doing this. I had a hard enough time going to the mailbox let alone driving at night and meeting with a teacher. lol Things certainly have changed. wink

~ @loririggs

"All art is quite useless." ~ Oscar Wilde
B
B
Congratulations - it sounds like you're on your way to some great times!

Started playing: February 2011. Still having fun.
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Congratulations. I'm sure you'll learn a lot!!

P.S About:
Men
... that sounded a lot more like my wife or my daughters' behavior than mine!!!.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
Congratulations. I'm sure you'll learn a lot!!

P.S About:
Men
... that sounded a lot more like my wife or my daughters' behavior than mine!!!.

Thanks for the congrats. smile

Andy thats so true, its a rare thing where I'm tapping my foot in impatience half way out the door, normally is me and my MIL keeping my Husband and FIL waiting lol

~ @loririggs

"All art is quite useless." ~ Oscar Wilde
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Great! With the passion to play and a teacher's guidance, you'll be amazed what you can accomplish in a short time.

-Brian
BM in Performance, Berklee College of Music, 23+ year teacher and touring musician
My Downloadable Video Piano Lessons
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MissyDee
Just a bit about my teacher search. This is long, you are warned. wink

For the last week I've talked to three different teachers. The first woman was nice but it took her forever to return calls, the second was very short with me and cranky when I asked questions. She was seriously a bit scary, I felt like she might smack my hand if I got something wrong! help The third was very friendly and kind and out of all three has the most teaching experience, 35 years. Maybe that's why her professionalism in returning calls and attitude was better.

She actually lives in the next town over which is a bit out of the way but I really liked her, my Husband works for the PR dept of the local university where she lives so I'm at least very familiar with the town, takes about 30 mins to get there. What's funny is when I met her my Husband came with me and her Husband was there and come to find out he is one of the professors at the University. Besides working there my Husband graduated from there as well and the man was his history teacher lol it was pretty funny and they talked quite a long time, even though they see each other at work. Men!

So I feel like it's all working out, finally, after forever wanting to do this, and properly with a real teacher. I've been messing around with Alfred's self-taught method since I received my piano but I really want someone I can ask questions and to give me instruction where a book can't. Worth the extra cost imo, and my Husband has been pushing me to not lock my self in the house, I work from home so I'm here a LOT. smile

I go once a week and start next Tuesday, after that I'll go every monday. I need to find the Faber & Faber Adult Piano Adventures book 1 this weekend, we have several music stores so hopefully one will have it, if not i'll need to rush it from amazon.

I'm also a bit proud of me, over the years I've worked through severe anxiety/agoraphobia and if this was the me just 10 years ago there is NO WAY I would be doing this. I had a hard enough time going to the mailbox let alone driving at night and meeting with a teacher. lol Things certainly have changed. wink

Congratulations, sounds like a great fit! Keep us updated on how the lessons go!!

"You are the music while the music lasts" - T.S. Eliot

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
That's great - it is wonderful you've found a teacher you feel is a good match - I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.

And congratulations on your success in dealing with the anxiety and agoraphobia. I can only imagine how much energy and courage that has taken.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Good news! Enjoy!'

Congratulations!!!

Matt McLaughlin
piano - composition - theory
Austin, TX
Find me at:

McLaughlin School Piano Lessons
Piano Blog
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Great! Congratulations and good luck!

"Men"... no comments on that phrase... wink

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission