2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Animisha, brennbaer, Cominut, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 4 invisible), 1,184 guests, and 271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1099942 01/07/09 12:31 AM
G
OP Offline
G
I suppose I would describe the level I am at as late beginner to intermediate. I can read music and understand chords.
I can also pick out a melody with my R hand and match the appropriate easy chords. But I have to write the notes and chords down as I go along, otherwise tomorrow I would have to start all over again picking out the melody. ( And I probably would not remember the beginning when I reached the end!)
So my question is this-do you folks who play by ear have to write it down? How easy is it to play the same song a few days later if you don't write it down?
I would love to be able to progress with play by ear skills without writing it down so any advise would be welcome.
Thanks
Chris

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Once you have a certain melody in your head, play it over and over...and over again.

Play it to the point family members know what notes are coming next. This will provide you with a memorized basis from which to work from.

Then, once you have your tune down pat, start to play it differently every time. Not only will that encourage creative thinking but some of the nicest chords/melodies come spontaniously as opposed to pre-canned.

My moods can also play a factor in what comes out even on the same pieces I play every day. Just think outside the bun...it's fun!.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Or... learn to understand the predictable structure of the chord progressions and the relationship between the chords and the melody. That way you can pick out songs much easier! smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by mahlzeit:
Or... learn to understand the predictable structure of the chord progressions and the relationship between the chords and the melody. That way you can pick out songs much easier! smile
Perhaps, you would care to elaborate on what you mean, please....

Ragtime Clown,

knowing that you were in PM for quite some time Im very surprised that you dont know what he means.

ex - pian00b
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Astra, I know exactly what he means - I was trying to get him to say piano magic smile laugh wink thumb

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Golden Wattle

Writing down stuff and memorizing is not the way to go

If you can pick melodies out (which I couldn't at all back in the day trust me) just keep picking songs out as much as you can (everyday or at least 2 or 3 times a week)

(If you can pick out melodies once you can do it again and again)

The more you do it the quicker you get until one day you can just speak with your fingers you'll just know where to go.

Hope that helps a little

Lee smile

Twitter: @Seaside_Lee
G
OP Offline
G
Thanks Lee,thats a great help. I watched your video on You tube, if I can play like that one day I will be more than happy!
Are you planning on doing any more tutorials like Moon River?
And how long would you say it took you to get to the point where your fingers just know where to go?
Did you have any help in the form of tuition with the method you describe?
Chris

B
B
Originally posted by Golden Wattle:
Thanks Lee,thats a great help. I watched your video on You tube, if I can play like that one day I will be more than happy!
And how long would you say it took you to get to the point where your fingers just know where to go?
Chris
Chris, I don't know if you have seen Lee's last 2 videos or not, but they are very good, and I will post the link to them here until Lee gets back to answer your questions.

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/32/7189/4.html#000087

Dale

Dale
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Chris, all joking aside can I add to the posts above. I have good memory and strong ear and for months now have been taking lessons. It appears that I also can read music but when I sit down at the piano, I get so much pleasure just using all the technique and skill I have to play all those songs I love. It is so much harder to play strictly from printed music because the discipline to do this takes years, and as I already have stated - I have a stronger 'ear' for music.

During my last piano lesson, which was my end of year review, my teacher and I agree to go ahead with 12 more lessons and work through eight more new pieces. I have already completed six pieces in my first term.

However, at the end of this term, I will be thinking about taking all that I have learned from lessons and applying it myself. He has agreed with me that there is so much I can learn and then I must apply it.

Lee, is a fascinating player and has done some superb videos on youTube and it would be a good move to have a look at his playing and pick up the technique and tips he offers.

I have added a few links below that I find very useful

http://uk.youtube.com/user/pianojohn113

http://uk.youtube.com/user/baypianist

http://uk.youtube.com/profile?user=drumfisk&view=videos

Have Fun

D
D
I can barely play the piano, but have played guitar for some years now:

Playing by ear is something you just have to work on. I find that the most relevant and most fun way to work at it is to leave songs playing from your computer or audio system or whatever and just play along with them. For practice purposes, I suggest you just try to play the chords and vocal melody along with the recording (improvising also works, but not as well). It took me a while to get the hang of it, but now it takes me 5-15 seconds to find the correct key and with some smaller errors, I can play along the melody (I do have to have heard the song before some times smile ) straight off the bat.

Also, solfege practice is useful for two reasons:
a) It gives you a system of translating what you hear directly into notes
b) It hones your sense of relative pitch, ingraining the sound of different intervals at a subconscious level

It takes quite a bit of work and practice, but in the end, is easily attainable for anyone. If you can sing or hum it, you can play it.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Chris smile

I think my strong point is showing/teaching how to have fun with improvising and I enjoy it more...there is more to show and I am enjoying figuring out new things (its stretching me which is good for me)...erm...maybe but, there doesn't seem to be a massive amount of interest in fact, I made a video for one member who asked and they never even commented or replied to say whether it was good or bad so that kind of thing has slightly dampened my enthusiasm to be honest

Ragtime is very fortunate that his strength is his ear (mine isn't that good to be honest - in fact it still frustrates me the amount of songs that I can't work out, I have good days and bad somedays I can just play whatever comes into my head other days I can't!!)

Especially when I play on that piano in the hotel bar it gets crazy with requests "can you play Elton? Billy Joel? Clocks? Rock and Roll? Elvis? Robbie Williams/ Angels? show tunes? a bit of jazz? Lionel Ritchie? Neil Diamond? John Denver? Roxanne? on and on especially when I've got the place absolutely jumpin'!! and my mind and abilities seem to leave me and I just can't figure out any of them that I don't know mad

I had such a terrible ear to start with its come a long way but, still further to go RC's strength is his ear mine I guess is my tenacity and single minded determination to play by ear when I'm happy I can do it as good as I can I'm going to learn to read and take jazz piano lessons too (find myself a gorgeous millionairess and ride off into the sunset ha )

I haven't had any other lessons other than what I learned at Pianomagic and the other 950 thousand piano videos that I own ha

Glad you liked the vids Dale smile

Lee smile

G
OP Offline
G
Thanks every one for your replies, I have a lot of ideas now to work on.

Seaside Lee-your videos are great. I particularly liked Video for Rosanna and Taking our noodling into a song as a bridge.
Thanks again
Chris

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks Chris laugh

Interesting you should mention "Taking our..." as that hasn't received a comment or a single star?

This is where not getting much feedback doesn't help me to decide on what to do next if anything at all? so, that kind of comment is very helpful thanks again.

Lee smile

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission