2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
kit1197 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I want to play some open chord positions that require pinky finger on one note and the thumb on the octave above. I find this REALLY difficult. Is it something that will come with practice?

At this point I can reach the two notes but the side of my thumb (left hand) hits the 7th note as well and the inside of my pinky hits the 2nd note as well.

I want to take Edward Weiss' course that uses a lot of these stretches but I'm hesitant if trying to do the impossible will cause problems for my hands.

Thanks!

Monique from Ottawa
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
some ppl have bigger hands and longer fingers, if you can't reach an octave comfortably your hands might be in the smaller range.
Don't be discouraged, just keep practicing. One trick is "relaxing" your fingers; they will stretch better and less fatigued.
I am fortunate to have long fingers that could reach 2,3 notes beyond an octave, but without stretching and being relaxed, I sometimes have difficulty too.

K
kit1197 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Are there stretching exercises I can do when not near the piano?

Monique from Ottawa
L
ll Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
I hope so! I'm in need, too.

I do know that if you wash your hands in hot water for about 5 minutes before playing, your muscles will relax--the problem is, when working with the hands and fingers, you are dealing mainly with ligaments and tendons.

II. As in, second best.
Only lowercase. So not even that.
I teach piano and violin.
BM, Violin & Percussion Performance 2009, Piano Pedagogy 2011.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Your reach can be improved in a number of ways, but it is far too dangerous to take advice remotely. Find a good teacher.

D
D
I always quake when I tell somebody how I learned to do something when I just invented it myself. I have long fingers but small hands. Can barely do an ocatave stretch and was forever hitting the 7th myself. First I spent some time literally looking at my hands and walking each of them up and down in ocatave stretches. I did not do this excessively as I feared some sort of strain or injury. I worked it over time. It was more just to visually see where the thumb was supposed to hit each time.

Then I practiced some easy pieces I knew well and used an octave stretch to enrich a single note or notes in a few sections. By knowing the piece well already, I could do a quick glance down at my hands and make sure I was going to hit the eighth.

Debbie

"Do you listen when you play, or do you just put your hands on the keyboard and hope for the best?" Author: Unknown
My hands are not real big or real small; I’d say they were medium size. However, I too had trouble playing octaves when I first started playing the piano. You would be surprised just how wide you can stretch your thumb and little finger if you keep working on it.

I can now comfortable play the octaves but I tend to bobble a little while playing fast tunes while playing the octaves.

I’ve noticed some professional pianist use octaves quite a bit.

Hope this helps,

Rickster

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
C
C
I had issues initially with reaching notes. My hands aren't very big (roughly 8.5 inch handspan) but I can cover the octaves (treble clef) on say, Mozart's Rondo Alla Turca where the key first changes without any sloppiness now --- it just took a lot of practice on that piece and others.

I found the hardest part was not the reach but keeping the fingers in correct position while playing that series of octaves, both my pinkies have joint laxity/hypermobility, but eventually they seemed to be "strengthened"? enough to do it.

YMMV

- C.C. -
"It is dreadful when something weighs on your mind, not to have a soul to unburden yourself to. You know what I mean. I tell my piano the things I used to tell you." - Chopin

Currently memorizing for class: Debussy Prelude #8

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission