2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
Hello. I have been playing piano for about 5 months now. I have The Piano Handbook by Carl Humphries. I was wondering if someone could tell me about how long it should take to go through the book? I am about half way through. I just wanted to know if I am going to fast or slow? Also on the Hanon excersises I have been trying to learn a new one every other day or so and mastering if before going to the next, and always running through the others I have learned first. Is that right or should I try to sight read them? I also practice scales, I know all the major, and working on the rest. I have only had the Hanon book about a month, but it has seemed to helped. If anyone has any suggestions I would welcome them.

Thank you

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
i do not think piano is about how fast you go through a book or lesson book or what have you. as long as you are learning at a comfortable pace, then you are doing just fine. as far as hanon, most people do one hanon a week and do different excercises with it, ie slow fast stacatto legato etc. etc. then move on. i dont have any suggestions except to say if you are comfortable at your pace then you are doing fine.

If it ain't fun I ain't doin' it:)
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
here are some pointers with hanon:
-Dont go on to any more hanon untill you have mastered each one evenly at 155 or more.
-Dont rush through them
-Have fun with hanon!
-I do 30 minutes of Hanon a day. (some people would scream if they did that much!)
-Once you work up to it:
-Go through all the exercises 2 twice
once at 180 bmp (works on control aand independance)
and the second time at 100 bmp(works on stability and eveness)
- do hanon in different keys
Have fun and welcome to the forum.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Debussy20, are you saying that you do all of Hanon at 155-180 bpm, 4 notes per click of the metronome???!!!!!!!

That's extremely impressive!

I just can't imagine myself at this time doing scales in thirds, forths, fifths, double octaves and arpeggios that fast.

Maybe in a year.

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, only what you are expecting to give, which is everything. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Mel, work up to it.
If you read the pretext Hanon states clearly that all should be mastered at 180 before preceding. Personally I like to master each at 100 then move the the next one. Whatever your preference...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My Hanon says 108 not 180.

Huge difference.

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, only what you are expecting to give, which is everything. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks alot. I will try all your suggestions.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Welcome Mike.

If you do Hanon regularly, you'll see a huge improvement in your playing.

As you practice Hanon and everything else, notice if there is any tension in your hands, wrists, arms, shoulders, neck, back, legs, and feet and release the tension as soon as you are aware of it. I have to do this constantly.

Check out this Hanon Study Group for lots of good suggestions:

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/32/2406.html

Mel

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think that to be halfway through the Piano Handbook at 5 months is fast.

The Piano Handbook is a great book, but it has a very broad scope. It goes from some very simple pieces to some very complex pieces. To learn to play everything in that book well could take many years.

You might want to supplement it with something like the Alfred’s Adult course to give you some variety and some pieces that may be easier to handle.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally posted by dannylux:
My Hanon says 108 not 180.

Huge difference.

Mel
Oh cursing

Your right.
Im going right out of my mind.
Thanks for catching my mistake.

V
V
I have The Piano Handbook by Carl Humphries. I was wondering if someone could tell me about how long it should take to go through the book?

I agree with Copper, the Piano Handbook is as much a reference book as a learning tool covering alot of different types of piano music from classical, rag, blues, jazz, bossa nova etc. I wouldn't necessarily use it exclusively to learn but it really is great as a reference. The included CD by the author is also great to demonstrate proper tempo, dynamics and phrasing.

If you have learned half the book in 5 months that is quite good progress, actually it is remarkable progress. Some of these pieces are quite advanced works and to master them would in my judgement take many years of study. Take your time and enjoy the journey, learning to properly play piano is not about how long it takes but how WELL you learn.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission