2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Bob331 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
My main instrument is a Yamaha Clavinova - an 88-key keyboard that's in a wood frame so it looks more like an upright acoustic piano than a keyboard on a metal stand. It is portable if two people carry it.

I'd like to buy a small keyboard to take with me if I'm away from home for a few days to a week - so I can get my practicing time in. It would have to be small enough for me to fit it in my car trunk and easily carry to my hotel room. It could be 66 (instead of 88) keys, but I would want the keys to be weighted so it would feel like a piano.

Any recommendations?

Bob

P
P
Dear Bob,

You're not alone. But there is a hole in the market. There is NO short-scale weighted action keyboard available. Here are some threads about this.

1. http://pianoforum.net/smf/index.php/topic,1236.0.html

2. http://pianoforum.net/smf/index.php/topic,3023.0.html

3. http://pianoforum.net/smf/index.php/topic,3775.0.html

But I am having one custom built. See the thread:

4. http://pianoforum.net/smf/index.php/topic,2525.0.html

When it's ready I'll send out a note for everyone to read.

Good luck.

Regards,

Peter

Peter_Godowsky
D
D
Peter,

I know this sounds crazy...but I am currently looking into EXACTLY the same problem. I play those dumb electronic keyboards and I can't stand the feel. I want to throw them out the window.

You say you are looking for a crazy engineer...maybe I can help. No promises, but I make some extremely complicated things from blocks/sheets of aluminum and lots of imagination.

Check out my website.

Also, check out this link to our SEMA 2004 car. We will be featured this year in the front lobby. (SEMA is one of the top 10 automotive shows in the world.)

Kirkham Sema Show Car 2004

David smile smile smile

David Kirkham
Kirkham Motorsports
www.kirkhammotorsports.com
I bought my piano from www.pianocraft.net
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
i have a yamaha p80, (although i heard it may be discontinued by yamaha, but im sure there is a parallel model) which is light enough for one person to carry, and is full 88 keys and piano feel.

disadvantage is no built in speaker, u will have to also take along a small pair or use headphones.

"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Take a look in the Digital Forum.

"The true character of a man can be determined by witnessing what he does when no one is watching".

anon
P
P
Originally posted by David Kirkham:
Peter,

I know this sounds crazy...but I am currently looking into EXACTLY the same problem. I play those dumb electronic keyboards and I can't stand the feel. I want to throw them out the window.

You say you are looking for a crazy engineer...maybe I can help. No promises, but I make some extremely complicated things from blocks/sheets of aluminum and lots of imagination.

Check out my website.

Also, check out this link to our SEMA 2004 car. We will be featured this year in the front lobby. (SEMA is one of the top 10 automotive shows in the world.)

Kirkham Sema Show Car 2004

David smile smile smile
Dear David,

Thanks for your note and your strong interest. Congratulations too on you audacious car designs! Let's see whether Audio Electronics in Dallas makes my 53-key Yamaha P-80 successfully -- they should be done in a week or two, they say. I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome.

Regards,

Peter

Peter_Godowsky
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
PeterG.....
I've followed your posts concerning this subject b/c I too wish I had something truly portable ...... Do remember to start a thread b/c there are a few of us interested in this!

P
P
Dear Bob331, Katie and others,

I have just received shipment of my Yamaha P-80 keyboard which was cut down, LITERALLY, from 88 keys to 53. The weight is much less and the size such that it makes travel easy. I'm very pleased with this solution. See the details at my other post on the Synth Forum (part of Piano World Forums).

Regards,

Peter

Peter_Godowsky
B
Bob331 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally posted by Peter_G_Moll:
Dear Bob331, Katie and others,

I have just received shipment of my Yamaha P-80 keyboard which was cut down, LITERALLY, from 88 keys to 53. The weight is much less and the size such that it makes travel easy.
What was the cost to cut the keyboard down?

I was in a local music store (NYC) the other day and tried out a Casio Privia keyboard. It has a very nice piano "feel" - and at a reasonable price (about $500). It's 88 keys and a bit longer than I would have liked, but maybe that's what I've got to live with.

Bob

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Bob, I'm also considering the Casio Privia. It gets decent reviews, although I'm also considering getting the PX-300 instead of the PX-100. The only price I've seen for the 100 is $499.99, both on-line and at music stores (Guitar Center) and Best Buy. The 300 is $599.99. I've seen a few on ebay, but they're not much cheaper, and when you add shipping, it's about the same (except no tax on ebay.

If you end up with the Casio, I'd be interested to hear how you like it.

markb--The Count of Casio

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission