2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 10 invisible), 1,430 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2231166 02/13/14 08:43 PM
J
OP Offline
J
So, I've been self-teaching the piano for about a year now, and I've been looking for ways to spice up my chord progressions. I like to do covers to mainstream, modern pop songs (Apologize, My Immortal, Clarity, Tayor Swift, The Fray, etc.) and I normally figure out the chord progression by ear and then arpeggiate it. I either use the typical root, 5th, root (octave) pattern or root, 5th, root (octave), 3rd pattern; and for the second I sometimes toggle the octave root and 3rd if it fits in nicely.

This creates a cool rippling effect that sounds good with most of my songs, however, I'm getting a little tired of this and I'd like for some new suggestions. and variety to put into my tool kit.

I suppose what I am asking is: what else could I do to liven up my bass chords? Is there any way to make even boring, old block chords sound more alive with my music? Perhaps a new arpeggio pattern I haven't thought of?

Last edited by JMaestro; 02/13/14 08:46 PM.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
You can start to connect roots and fifths using scale tones from the key the song is in. "step-wise" scale movement

You can approach the root or fifth with a chromatic approach tone that is one half-step above or below the target tone

You can learn some rootless left hand chord voicings for each chord

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
It's hard to provide a useful general answer. For some pop the LH needs to be rudimentary with the RH doing most of the work. for dancier pop the bass might need to be a bit more elaborate but that could be rhythmic rather than melodic. The RH too varies considerably depending on whether you're accompanying your own vocal or trying to play it as a solo piano piece. Also you mention wanting to liven up your bass chords but low LH chords tend to make things muddy.
Can you give a specific example of a song you're working on or one you want to try? Even better, a clip - even a short one - of what you're playing?

(your question might be more at home in the non-classical forum..)

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by dire tonic
For some pop the LH needs to be rudimentary with the RH doing most of the work. for dancier pop the bass might need to be a bit more elaborate but that could be rhythmic rather than melodic.
I'd say that's true for all pop music, not just dance. Pop/Rock/Country/etc, the kind of songs the OP mentioned, usually only have roots in the LH, sometimes the fifth, and even the 9 an octave higher. (Ex: Low to high, C-G-D, is a nice variation to root-fifth-root). Whether you are accompanying a singer or playing solo style, usually the scale tones not in the chords are used in the RH. To play a pop style of piano, you will rely heavily on rhythmic variations with broken and inverted chords.

-Brian
BM in Performance, Berklee College of Music, 23+ year teacher and touring musician
My Downloadable Video Piano Lessons
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Brian Lucas
For some pop the LH needs to be rudimentary with the RH doing most of the work. for dancier pop the bass might need to be a bit more elaborate but that could be rhythmic rather than melodic.
I'd say that's true for all pop music, not just dance.

If it's non-dancy pop (how many categories can we make here!) I'd be unlikely to be playing anything elaborate in the LH...but maybe the OP can ask for suggestions for a specific song then we could illustrate with examples...

edit: when I say "unlikely", I mean unnecessary for a novice.

Last edited by dire tonic; 02/14/14 04:32 AM.
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
If it's non-dancy pop (how many categories can we make here!) I'd be unlikely to be playing anything rhythmically elaborate in the LH...but maybe the OP can ask for suggestions for a specific song then we could illustrate with examples...
What about mid tempo semi-dancy pop? smile

For basic pop/rock, I tend to anchor the chord changes with a held low root and then stab a few roots an octave higher in to create a little more rhythmic bass motion. Sometimes use a fifth as, for example, an approach to a new chord. But you're right, the left hand is usually more subdued with most of the motion in the right.

-Brian
BM in Performance, Berklee College of Music, 23+ year teacher and touring musician
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
The right and left hands do vastly different things; rh mainly concerned with melody with the lh as back up. The back up can indeed be elaborate, whilst the melody will need to be loud! Something to do with the lh and rh side of the brain. . .

Last edited by peterws; 02/14/14 04:41 AM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
If it's non-dancy pop (how many categories can we make here!) I'd be unlikely to be playing anything rhythmically elaborate in the LH...but maybe the OP can ask for suggestions for a specific song then we could illustrate with examples...
What about mid tempo semi-dancy pop? smile

For basic pop/rock, I tend to anchor the chord changes with a held low root and then stab a few roots an octave higher in to create a little more rhythmic bass motion. Sometimes use a fifth as, for example, an approach to a new chord. But you're right, the left hand is usually more subdued with most of the motion in the right.

I think I know what you mean - where the LH meets the RH in middle register then the 2 hands cooperate. Yes, that can work well. I suppose if you look at the LH without the context of the RH it can look elaborate. It's a 'technique'. That may or may not stretch the OP.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by peterws
The right and left hands do vastly different things; rh mainly concerned with melody with the lh as back up. The back up can indeed be elaborate, whilst the melody will need to be loud! Something to do with the lh and rh side of the brain. . .

- this is getting interesting...c'mon JMaestro, give us a song we can get our mits into!

J
OP Offline
J
Thank you for all of your replies! I apologize for not being very interactive. Work has kept my hands tied recently, but with this 3 day weekend I have I'll be able to be more involved.

As for a particular song to examine, how about we look at Halo by Beyonce? It's written in the key of A major, I believe, and has a chord progression of A Bm F#m D for the intro/verse and, if I'm not mistaken, it continues for the majority of the song, but I haven't really listened that intensely past the chorus.

So, now that we have our song, what sort of LH patterns would you all suggest or personally play yourselves?

Thanks again!

Last edited by JMaestro; 02/14/14 06:54 PM.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Are you going for piano accompaniment for a vocal, or as a piano solo with some semblance of the sung melody?

(...where's the rest of the band gone?..Brian?...Peter?...)

J
OP Offline
J
In the past, I've only ever done my covers as piano solos. I think I'll stick with that for this song.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Where the mood of the song depends so much on that bass drum/clap groove it's not something I would readily adapt for piano but I'll try and run up a couple of ideas.

Any other songs that interest you (in case I hit the buffers!)

J
OP Offline
J
Sure! We could also look at Never Say Never by The Fray. It's a song that I've worked on before in the past, but all I've got for the LH bass are block chords that feel and sound kinda stale and static.

If I recall correctly, it's written in the key of Ab major and has the following chord progression:
Ab Eb F C#, and then it looks back to Ab Eb, I think.

And so for this song, my chord progression looks something like:
Ab Eb Ab -> Eb Bb Eb -> F C# F -> C# G# C#

All octaves, of course. Breaking up those chords into arpeggios creates a cool effect, but again, I feel like I do that for every song.

Last edited by JMaestro; 02/15/14 05:23 PM.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
That's much more interesting! I'll try and run something up over the weekend.

If you like what the piano is doing in the opening verse a lot of the work is already done for you...just a matter of incorporating the melody. Have you tried to emulate that?

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by JMaestro
Sure! We could also look at Never Say Never by The Fray. It's a song that I've worked on before in the past, but all I've got for the LH bass are block chords that feel and sound kinda stale and static.

If I recall correctly, it's written in the key of Ab major and has the following chord progression:

All octaves, of course. Breaking up those chords into arpeggios creates a cool effect, but again, I feel like I do that for every song.

I'll only do a sample verse and chorus so I won't venture as far as the later chords. The song is in a formulaic style so without trying to do something outlandish to it octaves are bound to figure in the chorus. I'll probably end up playing more or less what you've already come up with, lol.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
(...where's the rest of the band gone?..Brian?...Peter?...)
Sorry, busy week. Didn't mean to break up the band.

If you're going to play it solo piano style, I'd say mostly roots or root/fifth in the LH. RH has the melody on top, and you can fill in chord tones underneath the melody note. When there's no melody, you can embellish some rhythmic notes based on the chord you're on, as long as they are a good distance down from the melody.

-Brian
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music
R
R
Originally Posted by JMaestro

I'll only do a sample verse and chorus so I won't venture as far as the later chords. The song is in a formulaic style so without trying to do something outlandish to it octaves are bound to figure in the chorus. I'll probably end up playing more or less what you've already come up with, lol.

The chords for never say never are:

Ab Eb (Fm) then DbMa7 Ab Eb. (Db rather than C#)

Now the DbMaj7 puts a 9 in the melody before resolving back to Ab Eb.

Now when playing Fm and moving to DbMa7 you can remain on the Fm chord with RH while the LH moves to Db.

You could also look at the DbMaj7 as a Fm/Db. J and I worked this song up by ear not long ago. J, you remember that....

The chorus part: Ab Cm Fb Ab/Eb Db Gb Eb. Check it out.

Last edited by RUSS SHETTLE; 02/15/14 11:52 PM.

Russ
Yamaha CP5
Casio PX130
Yamaha AP Upright
J
OP Offline
J
Sorry, busy week. Didn't mean to break up the band.

If you're going to play it solo piano style, I'd say mostly roots or root/fifth in the LH. RH has the melody on top, and you can fill in chord tones underneath the melody note. When there's no melody, you can embellish some rhythmic notes based on the chord you're on, as long as they are a good distance down from the melody.

So, just the root and fifth in the LH? Played together simultaneous? Perhaps I chose a bad song example, haha, because honestly, this is indeed a rather slow, rhythmic song. I could see how we could get by without anything too fancy with this selection.

Originally Posted by Russ Shettle
The chords for never say never are:

Ab Eb (Fm) then DbMa7 Ab Eb. (Db rather than C#)

Now the DbMaj7 puts a 9 in the melody before resolving back to Ab Eb.

Now when playing Fm and moving to DbMa7 you can remain on the Fm chord with RH while the LH moves to Db.

You could also look at the DbMaj7 as a Fm/Db. J and I worked this song up by ear not long ago. J, you remember that....

The chorus part: Ab Cm Fb Ab/Eb Db Gb Eb. Check it out.

Hey Russ! Yeah, I chose this song intentionally because it was one of the songs we went over together that I felt I had the most grasp on. I'm now just looking for ways to liven up the LH bass a bit.

Last edited by JMaestro; 02/16/14 12:36 AM.
R
R
Originally Posted by J
Hey Russ! Yeah, I chose this song intentionally because it was one of the songs we went over together that I felt I had the most grasp on. I'm now just looking for ways to liven up the LH bass a bit.

Yea, that's sort of tough with this song in particular especially if you want to keep with the RH toggling out the rhythm of the chords as originally played. I guess you could try and arpeggio both hands and change it up that way. It would still sound nice and believable.

Keep trying and fooling around and see what you come up with. That's how we learn!

Russ
Yamaha CP5
Casio PX130
Yamaha AP Upright
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,193
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission