2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (20/20 Vision, brdwyguy, AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 10 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
1Irene9 Offline OP
OP Offline
I am just starting to play the piano and was wondering if there were exams that I could take? Is there an age restriction on these?

Thanks

Irene
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
There are two that I know:

Royal Exam
Yamaha Exam

Those two are, for sure, open for adults.

why do you even want to take an exam?

1Irene9 Offline OP
OP Offline
so I know my level and can say that I have learn't and qualified for these levels.

Thanks for your response RonaldSteinway.

Last edited by 1Irene9; 07/23/09 03:55 PM.

Irene
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
It really mostly depends on what type of exams, if any, your teacher has experience with and feels comfortable in preparing/recommending you for.

Some teachers routinely have all their students do exams and some teachers feel that their goals as a teacher do not mesh well with these types of exams. There have been discussions in the past, I think, in the teacher's forums on this, and on the merits and weaknesses of different Exam boards.

Some teacher's groups in the US have state-level exams. I know my teacher's young students participate in the AZ State Music Teacher's exams. I don't know if Alabama has something similar.

In general, tho...as you access these things thru your teacher the easiest way is to discuss it with him/her.

Adult Amateur Pianist

My only domestic quality is that I live in a house.
1Irene9 Offline OP
OP Offline
You are right - I think my teacher does'nt want me to take the exams. That is why I was trying to find out myself. Let me talk to her again and see if there are any state-level exams.

Thanks for your help.

Irene
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I have my adult students participate in the local district's Wisconsin Music Teachers Association auditions. These are called "auditions" but you're not auditioning for anything. You simply play 2-3 pieces either with the book or memorized in front of one judge, they give you written comments, and that's it.

It is a good learning experience and it's nice to have something like that to prepare for.

One thing I'd like to say about "levels". This is not something standardized at all. A certain level in one organization means something totally different in another. So really, it has no meaning outside of the group that chooses to use that standard. I would probably leave the question alone as to what your "level" is. At any given point there will always be someone better than you, and always someone worse, so you're somewhere in the middle smile.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
There are also the National Piano Guild auditions which are held each year.

"Ah, music. A magic beyond all we do here!" J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, 1997.

[Linked Image]
M
M
abrsm.org

1Irene9 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you all for your advice and information. By level, I really mean with respect to myself, i.e. whether I am any better or not. I want to do better than what I was yesterday. That's why I want to take the exams.

I will try and find the websites for these. And see the syllabus too, so I can start preparing for it.

Last edited by 1Irene9; 07/24/09 12:58 PM.

Irene
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
One way to rate your progress it to record yourself.
And look back at the what your were playing in the beginning that was difficult that is now easy.

I remember when I used to do Tae Kwon Do. The progress was so gradual I hardly noticed it until I saw the new white belts starting and realized "oh yeah, that was me once upon a time".

Last edited by Kymber; 07/27/09 02:57 PM.

“The doubters said, "Man cannot fly," The doers said, "Maybe, but we'll try,"
And finally soared in the morning glow while non-believers watched from below.”
― Bruce Lee
C
C

P
P
You bet there are piano exams for adults! Join me in working for the Toronto RCM exams! We can't let the younguns have all the fun.

Bach French Suites No. 6, Allemande and Gigue, Beethoven's Pathetique, Chopin Nocturne 72/1, Fantaisie-Impromptu, Debussy's First Arabesque, Takacs Toccata Op 54, Rachmaninoff Etude-Tableau 33/8.
National Music Certificate Exams. The RCM exams offered in the USA.

http://www.nationalconservatoryofmusicofamerica.org/index.html

1Irene9 Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes. It helps hence if I have another person see how much progress I have made especially because I don't know everything so I would not know what is expected of me or my mistakes. But if a judge or a teacher heard me play, he/she would understand my state better and I could also know where I need to work harder.

I agree with the recording part totally; that's why I got a digital keyboard that allows recording of what I played - this way I can hear myself and my mistakes. The white belts were like results to these level exams - if I clear a level well, I know I have learn't a little.

Irene
1Irene9 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you. Yes I think I will. The corresponding exams to RCM here in the US are the ones I will be taking. I am so glad that there are so many people encouraging me. Thank you.

Irene
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I used to be into taking exams for both piano and organ.
I have passed the teacher level for both instruments.
Now looking back, my only reason to take the exam is just to be able to qualified to be a teacher. Other than that, I think it is a waste of time.

Now, I do not teach anymore. I do not see any reason for an adult to take exam. Just play for fun, or enter a competition is a better way to improve your playing.

How will you prepare for the exam if your teacher does not want you to take exam.

One important thing that you want to ask yourself "What can you do with your certificate?" Can't you assess your own achievement?

For any reason, I just do not see the reason for an adult to take exam. It is a waste of time and energy..

Last edited by RonaldSteinway; 07/28/09 02:01 PM.
Does our reason have to be your reason, Ronald? So you took the exam to become qualified as a teacher, but that is only one reason to do so. One reason that I would like to pursue exams is because it gives an added sense of direction, as well as giving additional feedback on our performance from a third party source. The first exam that I took yielded a wealth of observations which my teacher and I then discussed. I found it both informative and enriching.

Children have the framework of school routines and outside parties who are interested in their progress. Also note that there is a sense of "progress". For adults, we can feel relatively directionless as well as isolated.

KS

P
P
With respect, I would have to disagree with RonaldSteinway regarding no need for adults to take exams. While I can see his point, I find that knowing that I will have to be ready for an exam next June keeps me motivated, esp. with technique, which I would never practice if I didn't have to. Plus, I want that certificate! I'm working hard for it.

Bach French Suites No. 6, Allemande and Gigue, Beethoven's Pathetique, Chopin Nocturne 72/1, Fantaisie-Impromptu, Debussy's First Arabesque, Takacs Toccata Op 54, Rachmaninoff Etude-Tableau 33/8.
Another good reason for an adult to take exams is exams provide good opportunities in overcoming stagefright. Many adult students are also working professionals who from time to time have to give presentations to their peers. How much better it is to deal with stagefright in a non-threatening environment (hopefully!) such as taking exams rather than having to deal with stagefright on the job where you most likely would have to undergo some job-related training probably reluctantly.

I am an adult student in the USA who takes the ABRSM exams. I did these exams when I was a child as I was raised in the West Indies where it is the norm to do these exams (in the English Speaking islands). Since I've restarted taking these exams in particular the practical exams, I've found that I am a lot more poised in my speech among family, friends, and coworkers, and not as nervous speaking in public.

I strongly encourage any adult who is considering taking exams to do so. Not only are there musical benefits which have been described above but the skills that you learn when preparing for these exams and while taking these exams can be transferred in many different areas of one's life.

P
P
well there are ABRSM exams for adults if they require them. However, most adults prefer to continue learning and playing the piano for pleasure, especially as there is a wealth of music available at this level.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission