2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, 4 invisible), 1,228 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
How do I learn to do this? My hands insist on doing the same thing. help

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
mom3gram, I started a thread with EXACTLY the same title about 1-2 months ago. Maybe you can find it if you scroll a few pages down??

Ingrid (sharing your struggle, though patient exercise does pay off in the end)

Mom3gram,

I also struggle with this problem as well. While learning a piece that requires the melody to really sing (as my piano teacher would say), I've found it helpful if I play somewhat slower than I would normally play so as to soften the LH and/or make the RH louder (assuming the melody is in the RH) so that it makes it easier for me to pay attention to the sound coming from each hand and adjust the sound accordingly.

I am also learning to play by ear through pianomagic. Since I am not relying on printed music I find it easier to deal with this problem so that I can focus more easily on the sound each hand is making. Maybe if you play by ear or if you have a song memorized you could practice adjusting the loudness of the sounds each hand makes.

I have made progress with this problem but I always have to work hard to overcome it!

Regards,

Musictuary

I also have had trouble with this and am working on lightening my touch. My teacher described the left hand motion as being like "petting a cat" where you sort of brush the key lightly with a very short stroke toward yourself. Kind of hard to describe but the motion for playing was decribed to me as being more than just playing the key more softly, I had to adjust my technique too. Hope this helps.

"Ah, music. A magic beyond all we do here!" J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, 1997.

[Linked Image]
M
M
I find that sometimes it helps to really exaggerate at first - meaning to play the right hand very loudly and while playing the left hand very softly. Or, another approach is to play the right hand, while moving the left hand over the keys but not really depressing them. After you've done this successfully a few times, try to play the two hands with the correct proportion of loudness to softness.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I also had (and still have to some degree) trouble with this. In addition to what the others have said, you might also try playing hands separately, quiet in the left, then bright and loud in the right. I don't know just how effective this would be for you but it's worth a shot, I know how hard it can be to do two different things with both hands at once.

On the flip-side, now I'm trying to learn Chopin's Raindrop Prelude and page 2 is all about playing the left hand loud and the right hand soft, go figure, lol. It's being a challenge after all that trying to play the other way around. :p

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the suggestions. Ingrid, I do remember when you asked that question now, and I did a search and came up with several threads about it. I can't even make the two hands work differently when I do it really slowly. I'm going to try to just lightly brush the keys as foxyw and mompt1 have suggested.

I still haven't learned how to pat my head and rub my tummy at the same time. :-)

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
mom3gram,

what worked for me in the end was messing around with a specific etude for at least 4 weeks. I played the (extremely simple )right hand reaaaalll loud legato, while at the same time playing the (extremely simple) left hand very softly staccato. Like indeed, just touching the key. In the beginning only one note with the l;eft hand while playing the loud right-hand part.

The other way around (left hand loud, right hand soft) is for some weird reason even more nasty...

Ingrid

P
P
How you sit can affect the LH/ RH balance. Sit at the front edge of the bench, not too far back, so if you lean forward you feel your weight shift to the feet. If you are too far back the weight just transfers to the bench. You may find you need to move the bench away from the piano.
If you lean forward with your hands on the keys,you should feel your body weight transfer to the hands, instead of down to your feet. It should feel like downward pressure, focused at the wrist. Now focus on the RH melody. Do you feel your body give a a slight shift to the right so more downward pressure is being transfered to the RH?
You have to be sure to play with curved fingers. Flat fingers will not give the desired results. Don't worry too much about making muscles move a certain way to acheive the sound. Focus on hearing the melody. If you are relaxed , your body will make it happen without you trying to control it.

T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
While I have always, on principle, cultivated symmetry of strength and dexterity in all playing forms, most piano music is distinctly unsymmetrical, in both technique and sound. Provided I can play most movements with either hand it no longer bothers me that some may never be used. It has never occurred to me to cultivate different techniques from hand to hand; within a particular piece or style perhaps, but not as an overall method.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Practice with very easy pieces

Or just with the same notes C D E F G in both hands.

Go slow.

LEAN on the RH

FLOAT with the LH.

To start with actually make your body lean as the RH plays louder and the LH softer. It helps to make happen.

Once you 'get it' it is easy to apply what it feels like to accomplish this on other pieces.

Enjoy it...it is part of what makes a pianist more than a typist!

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission