2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, 10 invisible), 2,116 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
smjl Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi all! I've decided to return to more 'directed' piano study after 10 years of lessons and then 15 years of general enjoyment playing (meaning now I'm actually practising, instead of messing around), and I was so excited to find this very active forum!

So some questions:
Since it's been a while since I've really played, I thought I'd start with a relatively easy piece, and so I've learned Beethoven's Minuet in G over the last month. Right now I can play the entire piece, and now it needs some phrasing, pedal and tempo work, and so I've been listening to mp3 and youtube performances to hear other people's interpretations. So I realized that I must have the only score out there that in measure 9 (at the end of the section) goes from D down an octave to low D instead of up an octave to D above middle C. And, even worse, in the 4th measure of the trio, the right hand plays G-F#-G-A-B-C, where everyone else is playing G-F#-G-A-B-C#! I know there are different editions of sheet music, but how do I know if I have the best or most official one? Or if these are simply errors?

Also: the tempo marking is quarter=120, which is far faster than any recording I've found, and seems far too fast for a 'stately' minuet. There are other oddities, such as a number of stacatto sections in the trio, and excessive pedaling.

The book I am using is called Piano Classics, 90 Timeless Pieces from the Masters. Do I need to get my music from somewhere else? Thoughts on how I should be playing this piece? Thanks!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi smgl,

Welcome to the forums.

I think I have the piece you are talking about in the Alfred book: Beethoven Dances for the piano.

Sometimes you just need to look at different editions to decide what is right. If you can find an Urtext edition - these are editions that musical scholars have researched to make sure they are the closest to the composers version - then you may be more sure of the notes.
This is listed as Minuet WoO 10 No 2 in my book. Metronome mark is quarter = 104.

First off, the lead in measure is not counted, so I think you are talking about measures 8 and 19. The first two beats of measure 8 in the left hand are D below middle c the D above middle C. In m 19 the C is sharped and in measure 20 the first C is sharped and the second is natural.

Hope this helps.
Rich

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
smjl,
Hi and Welcome.

I think I have that book at home so I will check it out tonight. It's hard to say with out having it on front of me.

One thing about metronome markings is that an editor that puts those things in. So, it may not be exact and alot of that stuff (dynamic markings etc.)is up to interpretation-at least that's what I have been told. When I was working on fur elise I wasnt sure how fast to play it so I got a couple of recordings and they both seemed to go to the extreme. One was painfully slow - the other was too fast and sounded rushed. I opted for somewhere in the middle.

“The doubters said, "Man cannot fly," The doers said, "Maybe, but we'll try,"
And finally soared in the morning glow while non-believers watched from below.”
― Bruce Lee
S
smjl Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Rich--thanks for the tip on Urtext. When I had a teacher I never worried about publishers etc, so I guess I'll just try to start with a trusted score, and then listen to as many recordings as possible!

Kymber--your story reminds me of when I was a teenager playing Fur Elise...I played it (probably agonizingly) slowly. I probably thought it was dramatic and soulful that way. Now I prefer it a bit faster and less soulfully 'mopey'.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission