2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (Doug M., Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, 5 invisible), 1,124 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Hi all, I hope this is the correct place to ask some questions about my idea, anyway I've been looking into those fancy garden studios for a piano practice room in my garden, something about 3m x 3m fully insulated double glazing etc... Looking around the web for prices I see that they are quite expensive and out of my price range £4000 - 18000!

My Idea is to build my own practice room from scratch fully insulated sticking to the same building regulations as a timber framed house in the uk, price would be around £2000 over estimated slightly just incase. My questions are,

do you think this would be a good idea?
Have you had any experience with clients who have a garden practice rooms?
If I eventually build my room and buy a piano (upright) will a dealer honour any guarantee that comes with the piano as the room would be built by me with no guarantee of weather proofing etc... I intend to make damn sure it is weather proof to the nth degree!

Any info would be greatly appreciated
Cheers
Andy

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Weather proofing is not the only consideration ... stability in both temperature and humidity are equally important if you want a piano to be serviceable. I come across quite a few schools that use port a cabins as music classrooms .... the theory is that it keeps the noise of music lessons separate from the main school ! These pianos rarely remain in tune for long, with the constant changes in both humidity and temperature. If you are serious about this, then some constant form of climate control would be needed to keep the tuning stable.

Concert Tuner & Technician for the past 52 years in the United Kingdom
www.jphillipspianoservices.freeindex.co.uk : E-mail jophillips06@aol.com
OP Offline
Thanks for the input I would proberbly be adding a piano damp chaser system to the piano to keep it in good health as this is something im am aware of regarding humidity and temp changes, I would hazard a guess that building to regulations would provide a better enviroment than most old houses with no insulation etc... What about the piano dealer do you think they would be fine with my setup?

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
If your set up shows any signs of extreme conditions then I would expect any dealer or manufacturer to be less inclined to accept any guarantee liability.

Concert Tuner & Technician for the past 52 years in the United Kingdom
www.jphillipspianoservices.freeindex.co.uk : E-mail jophillips06@aol.com
OP Offline
I suppose I would have to build it first to monitor temp changes during winter and summer, at the moment I have a digital piano and that would be going in first then an acoustic at a later date if the idea gets off paper, at the moment its just a pipe dream smile

I think I will ring a few shops in my area and to get the general Idea from them see what they say.

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission