2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, Charles Cohen, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 9 invisible), 1,922 guests, and 266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#623631 02/10/09 11:37 PM
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Well,

This afternoon, I tuned 2 Schimmel's in the same home. One grand, oh, I don't know about 7'4" or so, the other a vertical T-120 model.

Where the grand was located, remember now, it also went up to 60 degree's here today and was in the 50's yesterday as well, the RH factor was 33%.
If the weather was like it has been, the RH factor probably would have been in the mid 25 % range.

When I walked into the other room to tune the 2nd piano, which was not all that far away from the grand, just through the kitchen area, I discovered that she had just had her carpeting cleaned. The floor was still sopping wet. Consequently, I got my socks SOAKED too. mad

However, in this room, the RH factor was 54 %!!!
A considerable difference due to cleaning the carpeting in that room.

On top of all that, in raising pitch on this vertical, I broke B-4. mad heck of a place for it to break. Wound (pardon the pun) up getting my socks wet, my pants wet, my knee's wet and was not a happy camper by the time I was finished!!!

All in all, don't have carpeting cleaned on the same day as the tuning!!!

I warned her that when the carpeting dried out, the RH would drop and the tuning will go out too... OH WELL!

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Jerry,

What are people thinking?

I had the same thing happen on an old Chickering Quarter Grand years ago. I don't know what type of cleaner they were using, but by the time I got there all of the strings were covered with rust. I tried a few and most of the ones I put a hammer to broke.

I told her the piano needed to be restrung, and that it would cost a fair amount of money to do that along with all the other work necessary to make THAT even worthwhile. She told me to just go ahead and fix the ones that broke...

I should have just left, but in the end, I got some valuable stringing experience from it.

I shudder to think about it. Not a job I'd ever take on again.

Promote Harmony in the Universe...Tune your piano!

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAniw3m7L2I
http://dstahlpiano.net
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Jerry,

I used to have a BIG problem with this in the schools. When you are managing 6 school districts, 390 schools, this was coming up almost every week.

Eventually I had to have a sit down with the district maintenance managers because I could not get the union members of the cleaning teams to listen to the advice. The pianos would be left in the same room as the cleaning, then the teacher would complain about the service not being correct, I would file a report about the carpets and round and round it would all go.
Eventually it came down to getting the teachers to demand that the cleaning crews remove the instruments previous to cleaning the carpets. So the (union) teachers were listened to by the (union) cleaning team but they would not listen to me….funny thing that……

Either way there is another tuning, but moving the instrument out of the area resulted in less repairs. For the home owner it is mostly thoughtlessness, it just does not occur to them what happens to the instrument.

Dan Silverwood
www.silverwoodpianos.com

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission