2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 12 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
OP Offline
N
Hi!

I´m experimenting with tutorials and associated backing tracks.

"A sunny day" Easy slow tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8f1vN0qKkM

"A sunny day" Slow bossa backing track, sheet music-video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uRaKQEshME

"A sunny day - jam session"
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlN5KGhjbekZJ0G2UcD_Gd0p1VfFS7tbp

Playlist including different backing tracks and chord tutorials for the tune, such as the chords in root position, inversions and more advanced jazzvoicing such as Dm9, G13, Cmaj9, Fmaj9 etc. Some of the backing tracks includes soloists so you can shift between soloing and accopmanying as in a IRL-jazz band :-)

My point is that regardless of age/level the pianist/students can meet and play this together. The beginner perhaps just play the melody and the advanced do improvisation and advanced soloing/accompanying.

Best regards,

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
As one interested in ways to gain skill playing jazz standards, I think what you have produced is worthwhile.

If I were helping with the evolution of your product(s), I might suggest ....

Label only the while keys or maybe only middle C.

Showing the chord names as they are played or leadsheet where the chord names are being highlighted as they are played.

I would focus on Jazz Standards (Misty, All The Things You Are, Autumn Leaves, etc ...).

Just some ideas ...

Good Start.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
N
OP Offline
N
Hi dmd!

Thank you! Very good input! I appreciate it :-)

I make this videos in a kind of altruistic way for the moment, no intention to make formal product(s)for sale. Nevertheless I want to make them as good possible of course and you´re input is really valuable to me.

Originally Posted by dmd
Label only the while keys or maybe only middle C.
I make the videos in software Synthesia and I haven´t figured it out yet. There are different options and the closest to your suggestion is to put labels on all octaves C2, C3, C4 etc (C4 is middle C)and for the moment I can´t find a way to label only white keys or only C4. Perhaps there is a workaround. You have a very good point. For example when black keys are labeled they might not match the right key. For example if I play the chord A I would like the major third to be labeled C# not Dd as it shows right now. But I can´t figure it out right now. So thats way I didn´t use so much labels. Only used labels for the Slow Easy version. But there might be a way to do these changes in Synthesia.
(I´m from Sweden and we use another system to label middle C, we say "ettstrukna C" or "c1" kind of non-translatable, but the number "1" is involved for middle c. I guess "C4" is more international standard. So that´s perhaps way I choose to not have any labels for the moment)

Originally Posted by dmd
Showing the chord names as they are played or leadsheet where the chord names are being highlighted as they are played.
Good point. I have thought of that and if I do that will involve more videoediting. Now I just use Bandicam for a quick simple/easy screencapture. I guess I´m lazy :-) But of course it would be more clear to have chord names as they are played. (When testing this among students they often get a paper with tabs for piano) However Synhtesia has a function where the program guess the chords played in the midifile. Surprisingly well sometimes. But it doesn´t always match true formal chord signiture, but there might be a way to change that too perhaps. In that case the chords will automatically show on screen. I choose not to show the "guessed" chords for the moment.

Originally Posted by dmd
I would focus on Jazz Standards (Misty, All The Things You Are, Autumn Leaves, etc ...).
Blue Bossa, Tune up on the horizon (because I often use them among older students)... :-)

Thank you again and Best regards,

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission