2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, 12 invisible), 1,866 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 207 1 2 3 206 207
B
Brendan Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
B
The 2013 Van Cliburn International Piano Competition

Please use this thread for all discussion related to the competition, as per our 2009 Megathread. This includes: reviews, predictions, discussion on the performers and their repertoire, pictures, complaints about parking, etc.

FAQ

When and where does the competition take place?

This installment of the VCIPC will be held in Fort Worth, TX from May 24nd - June 9th. As always, we're all interested to hear "live" reports from any PW people who plan on attending the competition. For a complete schedule, click HERE.

Who are the competitors in this illustrious event, and how many times will I have to sit through the Liszt Sonata?

Find a complete list of the contestants and their repertoire, click HERE. Most of the competitors have already won major international competitions (Montreal, Queen Elizabeth, Leeds, etc.), so it's safe to say that it will be a bloodbath. There is only one returning candidate from the 2009 competition - Allesandro Deljavan.

...and while we're relatively light on the Liszt Sonata this time, there are more Rach 3s than you can shake a captive David Helfgott at.

Where's the live stream? I want to make fun of people who have memory lapses!

Info on the webcast can be found HERE. The quality and connection were somewhat spotty last time, so here's hoping that they will be able to support the bandwidth demands.

KTCU's also had an audio-only stream for the 2009 competition: http://www.ktcu.tcu.edu/

What's at stake, aside from internet stardom?

The winner receives three years of management (covering travel), a CD recording, lots of pretty clothes, and a $50k cash prize (increased from $20k in previous editions). Read all about the prizes HERE. The Cliburn's cash award for first prize is now on par with other major international competitions (namely the Cleveland, who will also present their competition this summer with several repeat offenders) and offers an extensive concert schedule for the winner. The total prize amount is valued at over $1 million (cue Dr. Evil laugh).

Competitions are stupid and arbitrary! My favorite competitor was eliminated after the first round! I hate you, Dad!

Yes, they are, and many wonderful pianists were culled in the paper round (not to mention the multi-city screening auditions). However, sometimes people who DON'T win end up getting more exposure than those who do. Read about the esteemed and discerning panel of judges for the competition HERE.

I want to read reviews and find out what kind of food and which movies each competitor likes!

Well then, why are you reading this stupid megathread?!?!? Click HERE before Congress passes CISPA!

That's about it. I'll start off the discussion with my own prediction for this year's results:

1st Prize - Beatrice Rana
2nd Prize - Sean Chen
3rd Prize - Nikolay Khozyainov

Other finalists: Allesandro Taverna, Eric Zuber, Yury Favorin

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Nice! thumb

The only competitor I've heard of is one who didn't make your 'cut,' Jayson Gillham -- not sure exactly from where but I know that I did listen to some performances of his on youtube, maybe from the last Chopin Competition, and I was extremely impressed.

So what the heck, I'll pick him to make the finals. smile

If there are some who are better than him, it's a great field. Which I'm sure it is anyway.

(edit) .....went to youtube and first thing of his that came up was his Chopin Barcarolle from that Chopin Competition. It's beautiful.
I'm be comfortable putting a few shillings on him.

Last edited by Mark_C; 05/17/13 12:40 AM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Nice! thumb
The only competitor I've heard of is one who didn't make your 'cut,' Jayson Gillham

You don't know Nikolay? shocked

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
I'm be comfortable putting a few shillings on him.

You're be comfortable? grin

And Shillings - what are those all about? ha

Regards,

Polyphonist
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
You're be comfortable? grin

Yes, I'm very be. grin

I figured that's maybe what they have in Australia, or else close enough.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
The Australian Dollar is about equal to a US dollar. It's slightly more. grin

Regards,

Polyphonist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Mark once said that he lived in the 19th century, so he might have the shillings from there. grin

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Originally Posted by ChopinAddict
Mark once said that he lived in the 19th century....

No -- I think I said I live in the 19th century! ha

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict
Mark once said that he lived in the 19th century....

No -- I think I said I live in the 19th century! ha

I want to hear Chopin improvise.

Regards,

Polyphonist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Well, I live in the past too then... smile

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
I live in the future!

Regards,

Polyphonist
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
We went decimal nearly 50 years ago. ha

Du holde Kunst...
Originally Posted by currawong
We went decimal nearly 50 years ago. ha

(See above posts for what year I'm in.)

On a more serious note, we ought to mention.....

This is the first Cliburn Competition since Van Cliburn's passing, and the event is being dedicated to him. In a way of course they all have been dedicated to Van Cliburn, but this one is specially dedicated.

Last edited by Mark_C; 05/17/13 03:24 AM.
D
D
I guess judges will be sick of Petrushka by the end of this. I know of Yuri Favorin and Vadym Kholodenko, and they're great. I feel I should know Claire Huangci, but I may be getting her mixed of with someone else. I LOVE Alessandro Taverna's repertoire! That's my kind of entry.

Music does not have to be understood;
It has to be listened to.
- Hermann Scherchen.
B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
No sh*t, another piano competition coming up? Who would have thought. Having a look at the programs of some of the candidates, there's also one thing that surprises me! Some of them are playing the same rep they've been playing for years and years and years! (more than 10 years in some cases, and I can of course not comment on every single candidate) How can this be!

Here's a thoughtful article on competitions, if anyone's interested: http://www.limelightmagazine.com.au/BlogEntry/308890,sydney-international-piano-competition-a-pianist-speaks-out.aspx

Last edited by fnork; 05/17/13 11:45 AM.
B
B
It's a pity that so many pianists do the circuit of piano competitions for several years until (or if, until they get too old to enter...) they win the first prize, which presumably would set them on the career path to stardom.

There are so many names here familiar from several international competitions - including finishing in the top three.

Let's not forget that Mitsuko Uchida and Louis Lortie didn't even win in Leeds (2nd and 4th respectively), yet were able to embark on very successful careers following that....

If music be the food of love, play on!
B
Brendan Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by fnork
No sh*t, another piano competition coming up? Who would have thought. Having a look at the programs of some of the candidates, there's also one thing that surprises me! Some of them are playing the same rep they've been playing for years and years and years! (more than 10 years in some cases, and I can of course not comment on every single candidate) How can this be!

Here's a thoughtful article on competitions, if anyone's interested: http://www.limelightmagazine.com.au/BlogEntry/308890,sydney-international-piano-competition-a-pianist-speaks-out.aspx

There's one candidate who (very obviously) hasn't leaned a new program in a while. Sad, IMO.

B
Brendan Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by D. S. F.
I LOVE Alessandro Taverna's repertoire! That's my kind of entry.

Me too! He's a great pianist and I have always enjoyed his playing.

I was also excited to see that Sean Chen originally programmed Bartok 2 for his finals concert but has since changed it to Rach 3. He nailed it at APA a few weeks ago.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
The majority of the programs are disappointingly predictable, and of the few off-course selections, I was a little dismayed that Grieg Waltzes would be programmed at this level. Was that a joke? The Grieg A minor waltz can be played by 2nd-year beginners.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
The majority of the programs are disappointingly predictable, and of the few off-course selections, I was a little dismayed that Grieg Waltzes would be programmed at this level. Was that a joke? The Grieg A minor waltz can be played by 2nd-year beginners.

Actually I'm surprised you'd say that last part in view of your first part!

I would view the programming of something like the Grieg pieces with very great interest -- because of what you said, both at the beginning of your post and the end. It's interesting because:

-- it's very unusual to do so
-- the fact that the pieces are so 'simple' means (presumably) that the contestant feels that he/she (don't even know who it is) has something very special to offer with them, and it'll be interesting to find out.

Page 1 of 207 1 2 3 206 207

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission