2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
The subject says it all. Can't seem to find this piece transcribed for the piano in the usual places I purchase music. Thank you.

Last edited by MrHazelton; 12/10/12 07:11 PM.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Kalmus Classic Edition K 03101, Warner Bros. Publications, J.S. Bach, Six Partitas and Overture in the French Manner, Hans Bischoff, ed., 1882, for piano, ISBN 0-7692-8604-6

I find the print, paper, and binding satisfactory in this edition, and it was $10.95 in an ordinary music store a few years ago. This copy does not mention the BWV 826 number you mentioned, however.

You could Google it, or try http://sheetmusicplus.com ; there seem to be several other editions in print, and there certainly are a great many recorded performances.

Or could you be thinking of some other Bach Partita No. 2...?

Clef

H
HNB Offline
H

Last edited by HNB; 12/10/12 08:50 PM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
What does the OP mean by "transcribed for piano"?

If we're talking about the usual Bach C minor keyboard partita, it will be available from every source with classical scores that you can think of, from amazon to sheetmusicplus.com to imslp.

-Jason

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by beet31425
What does the OP mean by "transcribed for piano"?

If we're talking about the usual Bach C minor keyboard partita, it will be available from every source with classical scores that you can think of, from amazon to sheetmusicplus.com to imslp.

The partitas were written for harpsichord, so maybe "transcribed for piano" means with pedalling and pianistic dynamics added.

M
OP Offline
M
Thank you for the replies. To be clear, here is an excerpt of the piece played by Martha Argerich. Martha Argerich - Bach Partita No. 2 - Verbier Festival 2008 When I look for it on Amazon and Sheetmusicplus.com there isn't much detail regarding the contents of the books. I want to make sure I'm buying the right thing.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"... When I look for it on Amazon and Sheetmusicplus.com there isn't much detail regarding the contents of the books. I want to make sure I'm buying the right thing."

And this, Mr. H., is why I like stores better than online anything. My local music store will order anything I want anything that is available, at competitive prices, and if I am not satisfied when I see the merchandise, there is no requirement that I buy it. Maybe they put it out on the rack, maybe they send it back--- I don't know, but it has worked well for me (and for them, too; I have been a good customer). And I like them. And they like my dog.

I don't know if you would get much of a response from Amazon, but calling or e-mailing sheetmusic.com (or one of the other real music stores--- Alfred, Hal Leonard, etc) would, I would imagine, get you the assistance you need to make a decision. Anyway, they accept returns if you are not satisfied.

Good luck. I am very partial to the Partitas and I find it warms my heart to know that you are reaching out to bring them into your world. Some of us have several editions at hand...

Hey--- what could it hurt to write to Martha and ask her what edition she likes? I'm sure she has gotten lots of letters that have pleased her less.

Clef

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by MrHazelton
[...]When I look for it on Amazon and Sheetmusicplus.com there isn't much detail regarding the contents of the books. I want to make sure I'm buying the right thing.

As has already been indicated, there is a link above to IMSLP which has the score you can download for free and print out, since it's public domain.

If you want a bound, printed, commercially purchased score, I don't think that you will find any music sellers listing contents; there's not much content to list. It's standard repertoire written for keyboard (now most frequently played on the piano) but it's not "arranged" for piano. The only thing you need to guard against is an edition that says it's "arranged" for some other instrument - a highly unlikely possibility, by the way.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
A
A
Or, try supporting your local music store by having them order a copy for you. It's hard being in the sheet music business these days, and your local businesses need your support more than Amazon does.

Currently working on: Bach Partita 4, English Suite 2, Toccata d-minor, Chopin-op 10/1, Schubert Impromptus
Are we clear yet on what's the issue?
I'm not.

Mr. H: The good news is that any edition of the 6 Bach Partitas for keyboard will include a complete score of this piece -- unless you mean something quite unusual when you say "arranged for piano." You haven't said what you meant by that. Regarding being sure you're "buying the right thing," you needn't have any worries at all. Maybe you didn't realize that the keyboard version is the 'real' version, or maybe you didn't realize that the same editions are for harpsichord and piano?

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by BruceD
It's standard repertoire written for keyboard (now most frequently played on the piano) but it's not "arranged" for piano.

Indulging my pedantic streak a bit - I think the partitas were written for the harpsichord, not the generic abstract "keyboard" of the WTC. And, since the Bishchoff edition has been mentioned, I think it could be argued that the dynamics added by the editor (for example, crescendos, which aren't possible on the harpsichord) mean that it was "arranged for piano", in some sense.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by wr
It's standard repertoire written for keyboard (now most frequently played on the piano) but it's not "arranged" for piano.

Indulging my pedantic streak a bit - I think the partitas were written for the harpsichord, not the generic abstract "keyboard" of the WTC. And, since the Bishchoff edition has been mentioned, I think it could be argued that the dynamics added by the editor (for example, crescendos, which aren't possible on the harpsichord) mean that it was "arranged for piano", in some sense.

True, no doubt, but you're possibly now confusing the OP who is not - may I say it? - at this level of distinction and/or sophistication.

I would counter argue by saying that I think that no one would argue that an Urtext would be considered as being "arranged for piano."

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
....I would counter argue by saying that I think that no one would argue that an Urtext would be considered as being "arranged for piano."

I would add (or counter?) smile that hardly anyone would argue that any edition of the keyboard partitas (or harpsichord partitas or whatever we want to call them) would be considered as being "arranged for piano."

I think the OP's question was based on a simple misunderstanding, although exactly what, we don't know.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by wr

True, no doubt, but you're possibly now confusing the OP who is not - may I say it? - at this level of distinction and/or sophistication.

I would counter argue by saying that I think that no one would argue that an Urtext would be considered as being "arranged for piano."

Since an Urtext of the partitas wouldn't include any "playable on a piano, but not a harpsichord" markings, you are right. The arrangement issue would not even come up, since there would be nothing specific to the piano that would prompt it.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission