2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
54 members (Chris B, Cheeeeee, Carey, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 10 invisible), 1,981 guests, and 326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
OP Offline
W
i only know of one in particular, The Happy Farmer by Schumann, but I'm sure there are others.

E
E
The Chopin Prelude in B minor immediately comes to mind.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
The Chopin Etude in C-sharp minor, Op 25, No. 7 has a left hand melody with a right hand counter melody - in certain sections, though not throughout.

The first section of the Chopin Waltz in A minor, Op 34, No. 2 has the melody in the left hand, accompaniment in the right hand.

The first section of the Chopin Polonaise in C minor, Op 40, No. 2 has the melody in left hand octaves, accompaniment in the right hand.

Variation II of the first movement of the Beethoven Sonata in A-flat, Op. 26 has the theme in the left hand, accompaniment in the right hand.

I'm quite sure there are many others, some of which may come to mind later.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Chopin Etude Op.25-11 ("Winter Wind")

Parts of the Liszt Paganini Etude #6

A lot of Gottschalk's works

The last section of Sousa-Horowitz Stars & Stripes Forever (which incidentally also has the melody Between both hands in the center section)

A lot of other stuff which I will not attempt to conjure up. smile

G
G
some portions of Iberia have the left hand carrying the melody.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
I don't think you'll find a piece that's completely left hand melody. In Liszt's etudes quite a few of them have sections with left hand melody, often very heavy chords with right hand having quick arpeggios.

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally posted by trigalg693:
I don't think you'll find a piece that's completely left hand melody.
Actually, three have already been named just by Chopin alone. Here are a few more that I can think of:

In addition to Prelude 28/6 that Evan70 mentioned, there's Prelude 28/22, too.

Besides Etudes 25/7 and 25/11 cited by BruceD and playliszt, respectively, there are 10/1, 10/5 and 10/8.

A case could be made that 10/7 and 25/6 fall into this category, too.

Steven

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
25/6, yes.

http://www.ecital.net
Wikicital: A collaborative effort to build a knowledgebase of classical music history combined with examples. Your chance to both perform and write...

Don't click here!
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Liszt is a devil for that kind of thing. Practically all of his works have the hands interchanging melodies and also up to three staves. And what about J. S. Bach and in fact any fugal music for that matter? In fact, come to think of it the question should be "What are some pieces where the left hand is NOT the melody anyway?" :rolleyes:

It don't mean a ting if it don't have dat swing
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by Arabesque:
Liszt is a devil for that kind of thing.
The Bénédiction de Dieu dans la solitude is a prime -and very difficult- example.

Jason
I suppose any piece written for the left hand only must contain the melody in just the left hand =] I know Blumenfield wrote one of these, as did Scriabin. I'm sure there are more, but I'm unable to think of them now.

Come to think of it, much of Scriabin's work has some very interesting left hand parts; it's not quite contrapuntal, as in the two hands play opposing melodies, and it's not quite homophonic, as in one hand plays melody and the other harmonizes, but rather some intricate and extraordinarily unique combination of the two.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Not exactly what you're looking for, but there's numerous pieces for LH alone, so the LH would be carrying both the melody and harmony

Some examples are piano concerti by Ravel, Prokofiev, as well as some works by Korngold, Brahms, Bartok, and Blumenfeld.

What you are is an accident of birth. What I am, I am through my own efforts. There have been a thousand princes and there will be a thousand more. There is one Beethoven.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I would add that a most beautiful sound (IMHO) is created if the melody is actually "in the middle" (i.e. tenor/alt), with figurations above and below. In this case, the melody is often divided into both hands (sometimes called a 'thumb melody' - a term often associated with Thalberg). It was often used by Liszt and contemporaries. Some famous (among probably thousands of) examples:

Schumann: Romance #2
Liszt: Liebestraum #3
Wagner-Liszt: Tannhauser Overture (the pilgrim's theme, when it appears in fff close to the beginning and the end of the piece)
Schubert-Liszt: Standchen, 2nd stanza (but RH only here so doesn't count I guess wink )
Rossini-Thalberg: Moses-Fantasy (fantastic arpeggios going all over the keyboard, with the melody unfolding in between)

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
The middle section of Moshe Milner\'s "Beim Rebn zu Mlave-Malke" comes to mind:

[Linked Image]

Also, variation #11 from Joseph Achron's "Symphonic Variations and Sonata on a Palestinian Theme" (a neat example, because it actually has the theme in canon in the left hand, a trick that Mikhail Gnessin did in one of his own variations on the same theme, "orah" for piano 4 hands, although not as well as Achron did here IMO)

[Linked Image]

Also, that piece by Gnessin that I mentioned, "Orah" for piano 4 hands, has the theme in the bass part for pretty much the entire piece, while the treble part just does fireworks.

Sam
P
P
"Le Tic Toc Choc" by Couperin - the melody is all in the left hand, mostly the thumb. If you play it correctly, it sounds like you just walked into a clock shop with 1,000 clocks ticking together.

Check out Grigory Sokolov playing this piece on youtube. His right hand approximates the speed of hummingbird wings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR6kpZzOGdo

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission