2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
55 members (bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 7 invisible), 1,364 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
OP Offline
E
In Debussy's Prelude 8 (Book 1), "La fille aux cheveux de lin," in measure 11, the "railroad tracks" symbol is used in what seems to be a non-standard way.

Normally, of course, this symbol represents a caesura, a break or pause. But in this instance, it seems to have a different meaning. It's the end of a phrase. The word "cédez" (roughly: rit.) appears, followed by dots till the end of the measure, then the railroad tracks symbol, then "Mouvt" (a tempo).

When I first played the piece, I assumed that the symbol represented a break. But then I realized that it probably simply represented the end of the "cédez" and the beginning of the "Mouvt."

Is this correct? Does the railroad tracks symbol simply have a different meaning when it appears in French music?

Here's the link to the score in IMSLP Petrucci - http://imslp.org/wiki/Pr%C3%A9ludes_(Book_1)_(Debussy,_Claude).

Thanks.

Yamaha Avantgrand N3, Bush & Lane upright grand (1920s), Steinway upright grand (1893)
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I'm not sure you can say across the board for French music simply because one composer does it. But for Debussy, the two lines signify an end to the Cedez, and not a pause or break in the sound as commonly found in other works.

When in doubt, you can always consult the experts on youtube. In the end, though, go with your instincts. Putting a break in these spots sounds unmusical and awkward, IMO, so it must mean something else. smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I have played this piece since 1971, so I am most familiar with it. The first mistake people make in playing this an other Debussy is that they commonly phrase the way they do with Romantic Period repertoire. Debussy used to go nuts when he would hear people romanticize his music, which unfortunately they still do. Debussy's phrasing is angular with one idea going on to the next. In this particular instance, he is descending and slowing down with one idea, and then he rolls the first chord of measure # 12 and then ascends. All the caesura is meant to do is to make sure that one idea ends, and then another begins. At the end of measure #11, I utilize a very, very slight ritard, followed by a very fast and soft roll, which slightly tapers at the beginning of measure # 13. Thanks for asking. This a very important part of the piece, which most people play incorrectly.

E
OP Offline
E
Thanks for your comments.

I don't understand what you mean by "romanticizing" the music. Can you clarify?

Yamaha Avantgrand N3, Bush & Lane upright grand (1920s), Steinway upright grand (1893)
M
M
Originally Posted by Louis Podesta
I have played this piece since 1971, so I am most familiar with it. The first mistake people make in playing this an other Debussy is that they commonly phrase the way they do with Romantic Period repertoire.

Debussy used to go nuts when he would hear people romanticize his music, which unfortunately they still do.

Debussy's phrasing is angular with one idea going on to the next.

In this particular instance, he is descending and slowing down with one idea, and then he rolls the first chord of measure # 12 and then ascends. All the caesura is meant to do is to make sure that one idea ends, and then another begins.

At the end of measure #11, I utilize a very, very slight ritard, followed by a very fast and soft roll, which slightly tapers at the beginning of measure # 13.

Thanks for asking. This a very important part of the piece, which most people play incorrectly.

Can you post an example of what you mean? I'd love to hear this and see if it's what I do.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
It cost me over $400 to make my video, and I just don't have that kind of money to post recordings in answer to a post. However, with the following link, I can answer both of your questions.

1) Here is an example of romantic phrasing of Debussy, however the artist is the only one that I know of, (other than myself) that extensively rolls his chords in this piece. This is the way Debussy did it, who regularly played this piece as part of his performance repertoire.

For those who have taken trigonometry, they are familiar with the sine wave or the cosine wave. That is essentially what romantic phrasing is. It is song-like and rhapsodic.

That is not the way Debussy wanted his music played. He wanted it played very straightforward without hamming it up, which is what this artist does. I would have posted Lang Lang's recording of this piece as a more striking example, but I couldn't stop laughing long enough to listen to the whole thing.

2) In terms of the original question presented by the OP, this is pretty much the way I play those three measures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MswHKA4dako

M
M
It cost me over $400 to make my video, and I just don't have that kind of money to post recordings in answer to a post. However, with the following link, I can answer both of your questions.

1) Here is an example of romantic phrasing of Debussy, however the artist is the only one that I know of, (other than myself) that extensively rolls his chords in this piece. This is the way Debussy did it, who regularly played this piece as part of his performance repertoire.

For those who have taken trigonometry, they are familiar with the sine wave or the cosine wave. That is essentially what romantic phrasing is. It is song-like and rhapsodic.

That is not the way Debussy wanted his music played. He wanted it played very straightforward without hamming it up, which is what this artist does. I would have posted Lang Lang's recording of this piece as a more striking example, but I couldn't stop laughing long enough to listen to the whole thing.

2) In terms of the original question presented by the OP, this is pretty much the way I play those three measures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MswHKA4dako

Note I didn't necessarily ask you to post a recording of yourself, so Michelangeli is fine.

He still rolls chords and asyncs the hands. I think his rendition is perfectly tasteful, but I don't hear any breaks where the railroad tracks are, which was the OP's question. This is how I play it - although my interpretation varies from Michelangeli's, of course, but in the same manner.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I don't play it with any breaks, either. Accordingly, I list two recordings by one of the greatest female pianist of all time, who personally studied these pieces under the composer.

They are a perfect example of what I mean by straightforward playing, without romanticizing. Even in the second selection, which is marked "Molto rubato," it is not a Romantic Period rubato.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzhaPbVlZGQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn60ugoTHtc

E
OP Offline
E
Can you post an example of what you mean by Romantic Period legato?

Maybe you meant to characterize Lang Lang's recording of this piece that way? I wasn't clear on what you were implying.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
The 'railroadtrack'sign is quite common in french print, it just means: 'end of section', Alkan is full of it. It has no influence on tempo/dynamics, it's just for the player, not for the audience.

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by dolce sfogato
The 'railroadtrack'sign is quite common in french print, it just means: 'end of section', Alkan is full of it. It has no influence on tempo/dynamics, it's just for the player, not for the audience.

Thank you so very much for your musicological input. We have all learned from it, from now on.

Next, regarding the OP's latest question, I referenced the term Romantic Period "rubato," and not legato. Here is a very recent example, of exactly just that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPaEpvTB-4I

Please compare it with the angular phrasing of Debussy. And, remember, his big piece at the Paris Conservatory was the G Minor Ballade, so he definitely knew the difference.

Lest anyone jump to the conclusion: there is no right and wrong here. There is only the compositional style of one compositional period contrasted with another.

One is played the way the composer (Chopin) intended, who was a devotee of the Bel Canto Aria style, and another is performed as Claude Debussy (classically trained) intended, who considered himself a modernist.

The "problema" is that many a pianist has lumped the two into one.

M
M
Originally Posted by dolce sfogato

Thank you so very much for your musicological input. We have all learned from it, from now on.

Next, regarding the OP's latest question, I referenced the term Romantic Period "rubato," and not legato. Here is a very recent example, of exactly just that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPaEpvTB-4I

Please compare it with the angular phrasing of Debussy. And, remember, his big piece at the Paris Conservatory was the G Minor Ballade, so he definitely knew the difference.

Lest anyone jump to the conclusion: there is no right and wrong here. There is only the compositional style of one compositional period contrasted with another.

One is played the way the composer (Chopin) intended, who was a devotee of the Bel Canto Aria style, and another is performed as Claude Debussy (classically trained) intended, who considered himself a modernist.

The "problema" is that many a pianist has lumped the two into one.
A big mistake, I agree.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
I don't play it with any breaks, either. Accordingly, I list two recordings by one of the greatest female pianist of all time, who personally studied these pieces under the composer.

They are a perfect example of what I mean by straightforward playing, without romanticizing. Even in the second selection, which is marked "Molto rubato," it is not a Romantic Period rubato.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzhaPbVlZGQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn60ugoTHtc

I do break when I see the railroad tracks, as I believe is my prerogative as the interpreter. The evidence I have is inconclusive, though I'm happy to hear what you have.. be it from him or Ricardo Viñes or anyone else who you could consider close to the composer.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Here is a link to the definitive take on the subject, which was recorded in the year 2000 by my now dear friend Kenneth Caswell. Included in the liner notes is a copy of a personal note from the hyper-critical composer to Mr. Welte praising the accuracy of the recording.

I very recently found out that Ken spent a total of 15 years recording and fine tuning this work in order to establish its veracity.

Just listening to the samples will change your life, as it has now changed mine. Enjoy.

http://www.amazon.com/Claude-Debuss...amp;keywords=debussy+composer+as+pianist

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Everyone,

There is a series of many pages online about Debussy's views regarding the performance of his own piano music, which begin here:

http://www.djupdal.org/karstein/debussy/method/m01.shtml

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
[/quote] I do break when I see the railroad tracks, as I believe is my prerogative as the interpreter. The evidence I have is inconclusive, though I'm happy to hear what you have.. be it from him or Ricardo Viñes or anyone else who you could consider close to the composer. [/quote]

Me too. Quite often this marking shows a phrase ending with quicker notes that don't lead to the next bit; for me a counter-intuitive process for which I need encouragement to execute effectively. What would be the point of writing a caesura which didn't require a break?

John

Vasa inania multum strepunt.
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I stop at all marked railroad crossings! smile

Cheers!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
E
OP Offline
E
" What would be the point of writing a caesura which didn't require a break?"

But I think that what the other respondents (more expert than I) are saying is that in certain French music, the railroad tracks symbol does not represent a caesura. In this case it simply represents the end of the cédez.

In the more familiar notation, the end of a rit. is typically represented by the end of the dashed line after the rit. In this case, the end of the cédez extends to the end of the dashed line, which is ended by the railroad tracks symbol.

That's how I interpret the earlier comments.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission