2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
77 members (20/20 Vision, amc252, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 15 invisible), 1,965 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1534128 10/12/10 07:47 PM
BruceD Offline OP
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Gold Subscriber
One of the most acclaimed sopranos of the 20th century, Joan Sutherland, has died at the age of 83.

The New York Times obituary is here :

Sutherland

For those of us who had the opportunity to hear her "in the house," the voice was as glorious - if not more so - as it was on recordings. The flawless technique, the beautiful phrasing, the effortless fioritura, and the tonal quality of the voice left most opera lovers in awe. She truly lived up to her dubbing as "La Stupenda!"

It was my good fortune to have heard her live four times in the opera repertoire in which she excelled, and I once heard her in recital.

For many of us there is a close link among piano, Chopin, and Joan Sutherland. Sutherland excelled in the bel canto repertoire (Rossini, Donizetti, Bellini), and it was Chopin who urged his piano students to attend bel canto operas - he even mentions Bellini specifically - to understand what a legato line was all about.

At one point Pavarotti was claimed to have said that everything he learned about bel canto singing he learned from Sutherland.

I grew up on her recordings and her performances and mourn her passing.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Our classical music radio station was playing her recordings all day yesterday - there were quite a few I hadn't heard before, actually. And many messages from people who worked with her, or met her, including (my favourite) a woman who was having a record signed by her, with the recording playing in the background. Dame Joan said "I'm sorry, I didn't catch your name. I can't hear with the din that woman is making."
(I met her once, but no funny story. frown )

An absolutely amazing voice and technique.

Du holde Kunst...
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I was very saddened to read her obituary in today's paper. Even with my ignorance of opera, I knew of Joan Sutherland and her exquisite voice. What a loss.

Best regards,

Deborah
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
She was wonderful, I have been listening to her all day yesterday....

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by BruceD

I grew up on her recordings and her performances and mourn her passing.

Ditto

An amazing talent and a great loss to the opera world

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Oh, wow! One of my voice major friends here at college told me shortly after it happened. Afterward, I listened to some of her playing on YouTube. I don't know how to critique vocal music, but it was amazing.

Can you recommend me some things by her to listen to?

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King

Can you recommend me some things by her to listen to?

Yes. Don't miss this one.

There was quite a flurry of activity on the Radio 3 message boards, and that recording was constantly mentioned. It is Sutherland in her absolute prime. Not to be missed. No one ever sang quite like that.

Jason
L
L
Joan Sutherland truly had a phenomenal voice. She had the weight of a dramatic soprano, but the agility of a coloratura. Her voice possessed exceptional limpid purity, and her coloratura technique was outstanding. Sutherland's trill was probably the best of any singer from the past 60 years. However, it appears that she was never able to sing triplets properly. When she sang both the Queen of the Night and "The soldier tir'd", her triplets were rhythmically inaccurate: they were approaching two sixteenth notes and an eighth note.

As to recommendations, I would certainly listen to Sutherland's Lucia. Although it lacks the dramatic depth of Callas' portrayal, Sutherland's Lucia is perhaps the most vocally splendid recording of the role: a definite classic.

I would also suggest that you listen to Sutherland's live recording of the Queen of the Night at Covent Garden, which is available at youtube. Despite the fact that she sang the first aria a half tone lower and the second aria a whole tone lower (not to mention the botched triplets in the second aria), the sheer dramatic power and authority that she brought to the role is astounding. You can literally hear her voice bouncing off of the walls. It is very unusual to hear a voice that large and powerful singing the Queen of the Night. Sutherland may be the largest-voiced singer ever to essay the role.

Recent Repertoire:
Liszt: Concerto #1 in Eb https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dY9Qw8Z7ao
Bach: Partita #2 in c minor
Beethoven: Sonata #23 in f minor, Opus 57 ("Appassionata")
Chopin: Etudes Opus 25 #6,9,10,11,12
Prokofiev: Sonata #3 in a minor
Suggestion diabolique
It is indeed. I've so enjoyed their duets with Pavarotti. In his interviews he spoke so highly of her knowledge of the voice, breathing techniques etc. Oh, those were the times. Spectacular voices, musicians, artists. The entire generation is slowly going away. Rip Joan Sutherland. You will be missed.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
so unlike her voice-type, she recorded one the best Turandots ever, I did some shopping with her in Barcelona, she was such fun company, no stardom at all, I'll miss her, but luckily we have her recordings to last for some time!

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Magnificent Norma, Lucia...

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission