2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, 13 invisible), 1,980 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
I have owned a used Kawai upright for a year now. 49" high, room is eight foot ceiling with hardwood floors. I tend to experiment with the lid fully up (it's the half-fold version) or partially, or fully closed, to get the sound I am looking for. I've even opened the "bottom frame" slightly to let the air out (It once was not secured well and it banged my kneecaps!).

I used to have an older player piano, gutted of the mechanics. It had a large cavity and nice reverb as a result. I'd open the two front sliding doors where the rolls would be placed, to control volume, maybe hear more bass. Even played with the bottom frame there too.

This morning I completely removed the bottom frame and am enjoying the fuller bass sound I get.

Anyone else try these experiments or others?

RJ
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
I used to do things like this on the old 1930's Wurlitzer with cracked soundboard that was the only thing my parents could afford. It sounded best with the front panel completely removed.

I find my Charles Walter loud enough when fully closed that these adjustments never occurred to me. It's in a 19 x 15 room with carpet and upholstered furniture, and I find myself playing way under its full volume potential.

Wynne
before we got our new piano we had an old 1920ish baby grand and i for a while i had the top totally off (it was already as dusty as they get) and i also would take the music stand off which would give even a fuller sound to me...now that weve got the new piano i wouldnt deam of leaving it open like that though...i hate dust

...when the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace...
NAK Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I find that taking the faceplate off would brighten the sound slightly, making for better Baroque playing. Also, when I played with the lid down, it was easier to voice low notes, while it was easier to voice the higher registers with the lid up.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Lol... this is like Piano-tunning. We could put some neon near the bass strings for some cool lookin'style.

ss ao lr ue dt on si .u dq ar no on ra qd u. is no td eu rl oa ss

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission