2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, 13 invisible), 1,916 guests, and 360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2127876 08/04/13 09:20 AM
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Tucked away in the back streets of old Havana and a world apart from the tourist trade is the National Workshop of Instrument Repair warehouse. When the Russians became Cubas close ally in the 1960s and 70s they used the workshop as a training centre for what is now the current generation of Cuban piano tuners and technicians

Two classes of blind and partially sighted tuners graduated from here-the first in 1970, and another class two years later.
However, with the fall of the Soviet Union, this training programme ceased, and the workshop fell steadily into disrepair

Due to the US trade embargo, piano technicians on the island cannot buy the tools and materials they need, and as the older generation of Cuban tuners retires, the skills that go with the tools are also disappearing

Pianists in Cuba face challenges that people in Europe can't imagine. The island's tropical climate is particularly hard on things made from wood.
Now an Irish group is helping to restore thousands of pianos that have fallen into disrepair

Since 2006 Irish piano tuners have been going to Havana to help train local technicians.
Under the title "Una Corda - The Irish Cuban Piano project" and working in conjunction with the Havana Arts Authority and the Cuban Ministry of Culture they have now been given the responsibility of restoring and re-equipping the National Workshop there

Over the last number of years tourists travelling to Cuba have made a real contribution to the project by becoming one of Una Corda's mules. Volunteers simply carry a package of piano parts or tools with them in their luggage when they go. So far over three hundred kilos of parts have been carried in luggage all with the approval of the Cuban authorities
http://vimeo.com/25626343

P
P
From watching the website you posted (vimeo.com) looks like only vintage
pianos. Guess not much in new pianos being imported to Cuba.

Schimmel C169 Kawai NV5S
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by panche23
Guess not much in new pianos being imported to Cuba.

I think new pianos in Cuba very no much

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
HI Max,

So, as much as I think this could be a worthwhile thing to do, are you actually asking Americans who visit Cuba to violate the trade embargo by bringing back packages to US soil?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
My reading is that the organization asks travelers to take packages into Cuba, not bring them back. I don't know (or care) enough about the trade restrictions to know if such a non-commercial delivery of goods is covered.

Since the organization is based in Ireland, my guess is that they are more involved with Europeans traveling to Cuba anyway.

Learner
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by laguna_greg
HI Max,

So, as much as I think this could be a worthwhile thing to do, are you actually asking Americans who visit Cuba to violate the trade embargo by bringing back packages to US soil?

laguna_greg, I think that this needs to be done, namely to break PIANO embargo. I think that people of good will (America and Europe) should not sit idly by while Cuban technicians can not work without the piano parts(packages). I could be wrong, because I live very far in Kazakhstan,former USSR. I have the same problem as the Cuban technicians of piano. As much as possible and I try to repair the old Soviet piano

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMaximillyan?feature=watch

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin

Since the organization is based in Ireland, my guess is that they are more involved with Europeans traveling to Cuba anyway.

David Creedon Photography he created this clip
https://vimeo.com/user7583365

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission