2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, 5 invisible), 1,131 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1988060 11/18/12 09:22 AM
apple* Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
I saw a 1908 Steinway (Hampberg) at an estate sale for 15,000. This is a little out of the budget of this family who has 6 adopted special needs kids as well s 3 or 4 of their own. They are super Catholic and sweet as can be. I teach 4 of their older children.

the piano is ABSOLUTELY exquisite.. clear as a bell, it sustains forever - I think they could get it for about 10,000 especially if they carried in the kid that sits in the wheel chair (sorry to sound crass). It has exquisite legs and a gorgeous music desk. the finish is a gorgeous mahogony.. looks like this:

5'8" tho, not 6' 11" It needs a bit of damper work. There are some residual tones that continue to lightly sound. I have an excellent tech and can get him to come over and appraise it, but he is out of town. I'm going over today to do some appraising myself. I can see that a few of the dampers are just a bit tilted.. most of them are ok. everything seems to work perfectly but i still wonder what I should look for. the pedals are very precise and the notes are very even.

it sounds absolutely exquisite. I like it better than my newer Estonia. It's about 5/8".

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Greetings,
Beware!! Older Steinways often demonstrate corroded action centers (verdigris), and this condition can be masked by some lubricants, (only to return later and freeze the action for good). You do not want to buy a money pit!

The case work on these pianos is beyond belief, they are stunning. More important is the condition of the action, and if you have 100 year old parts in there, the odds of it not needing continual repair and maintenance under heavy use are slim. For a piano that is played only occasionally, maybe at the holidays, this might be the one, but for the musical anchor for a bunch of kids learning to play, I doubt it would be a good investment.

I have rebuilt two of these, with many new parts, strings, dampers, flanges, etc. They are both now owned by very well known performers here in Nashville, and both are killer pianos. The problem with old Steinway uprights is that they sell for less than half as much as a grand, even though the time and cost involved in restoration is the same or more. Very few techs will, or can, actually put the time in them to make them dependable, durable instruments.

Don't even consider it until your tech has pulled a few hammer-butts and checked the pinning.
Regards,

Last edited by Ed Foote; 11/18/12 09:36 AM.
Online Content
Originally Posted by apple*
It's about 5/8".
10K seems expensive for such a short piano.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by apple*
It's about 5/8".
10K seems expensive for such a short piano.

Wise guy!

Learner

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission