2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 12 invisible), 1,892 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1440876 05/21/10 10:24 AM
P
OP Offline
P
I FINALLY GOT MY "NEW" PIANO!!
I am ridiculously happy!!! it sounds AMAZING, feels GREAT!! much different then all the spinets Ive played. It fits right into our new house, the wall we chose is perfect for it laugh
My only complaint is, a few of the notes make a little...rattle(?) sound when the hammer pulls back... not sure if it happened during the move or what, but is this fixable by a tech? if not, I can deal with it, the good FAR outweighs the bad laugh laugh laugh my life just got 100 times better. NO MORE 61 KEY KEYBOARD!!!!

"No other acoustic instrument can match the piano's expressive range, and no electric instrument can match its mystery." ~ Kenneth Miller
Follow me on twitter! twitter.com/PhilliamDane
P
OP Offline
P
Oh, its a baldwin acrosonic, I didnt take down the serial # yet but I will soon, I would love to know how old it actually is (it has real ivory keys)

"No other acoustic instrument can match the piano's expressive range, and no electric instrument can match its mystery." ~ Kenneth Miller
P
OP Offline
P
Here is a link a photo album on facebook with my pictures of the piano smile smile
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=176058&id=1059559839&l=ad08571adc

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
But do you like it? :-)

Gary

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Congratulations, Philpot321! The acrosonics are the Rolls Royces of spinets. smile You will find the improvement over your 61-key unweighted keyboard to be extremely gratifying.

As for the rattling etc., if you can swing it, have a tech put some time in regulating and voicing the piano. That would probably run you several hundred dollars, but it might be worth it, especially if you're planning on keeping the piano for a long time.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Acrosonics are very nice spinets, I had one for years until I got my first grand. According to your pictures, this one looks very nice. I love the style.

Jack in TN

Plays:
Yamaha C5 grand (home)
Kawai KG5 grand (church)
Roland RD300GX digital (jazz group)
Online Content
Very beautiful piano! Is that a Chippendale style cabinet?

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
I've never seen an Acrosonic like that. The cabinet is particularly nice and it's bigger than most Acrosonics. Might it actually be a console? Anyway, good luck and don't be concerned about rattles until you've had a technician try to fix it. It's probably an easy fix.

Semi-pro pianist
Tuesdays 5-8 at Vince's West Sacramento, California
I
I
Such a pretty piano. Congratulations!

IramChZ #1441542 05/22/10 09:59 AM
P
OP Offline
P
I actually have the original product brochure with it, and according to the pictures it is an acrosonic style... 959 I think? but it is a spinet. I havent ever seen an acrosonic in that style but I LOVE it!! its much nicer then a lot of other spinets ive seen. Im probably going to have a tech look at it eventually because yes, I plan on keeping this until I can afford a MAJOR upgrade. for now, its perfect smile

Congratulations, Phil! Nice piano and nice house!! Life is good, is it not? thumb

Take care!

Rick

Last edited by Rickster; 05/22/10 10:05 AM.

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
P
OP Offline
P
Ah yes, life is quite good smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Wow! It does look very very nice! Someone really loved that piano! It must have been a centerpiece in their living room. smile

Hailun HU7P
1799 John Broadwood and son square
1800 George Astor London square
1810 Gibson and Davis New York square
1830 John Broadwood and sons square

Aeolian-Hammond BA player organ
Conn 652 theater organ
1922 Kotykiewicz two manual harmonium
1880s karn pump organ
P
OP Offline
P
Alright so, the number I found (I assume its the serial number?) is: 522759. any idea of the age?
The lady we bought it from said it had ivory keys... but looking at the keys im not so sure, I didnt see the "fine line" thing on the keys, so either I wasnt looking hard enough or its not ivory. either way, its fine with me.
I played for a long time today, and honestly I absolutely LOVE it. The difference between it and my keyboard is astounding to me. Ive played very nice pianos before, but something about it being mine...ahhhh its great laugh

Last edited by Philpot321; 05/22/10 10:30 PM.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Congrats!

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Philpot321
Alright so, the number I found (I assume its the serial number?) is: 522759. any idea of the age?

It looks to be manufactured somewhere around 1950.

http://www.bluebookofpianos.com/serial1.htm#ACROSONIC

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Congrats !Beautiful piano! That acrosonic is actually a console rather than a spinet. I'd consider that cabriolet leg style as more Queene Anne though more common in dark cherry. Keys are definitely plastic though ivory was still around in the (US) as late as the fifties though mostly on grands.

Actually those key rattles are remediable via a qualified tuner tech. I'm not a tech, though if I remember correctly on the acrosonic a common rattle(s) can be easily fixed by squeezing these little fork configurations on the action with a pair of needle nose pliers. How's that for a high tech anwser. Better to have a tuner/tech do it for sure. grin

www.pastperfectpiano.com
Largest selection in the USA
100+Steinway and M&H grands
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks for the information! Good to know on the console thing. And yes, once I looked at the keys I was fairly sure they were plastic. I love the style, its much more attractive then other acrosonics ive seen hahaha. And we know a very good tech, and whenever hes in town im sure he'll be happy to take a look. until then, its fine for me laugh

I have a 60 year old Acrosonic spinet that puts out a better tone and resonance than many larger pianos I have played. Congratulations on your new Acrosonic console! Beautiful wood as well!

Acro- Greek combining form meaning highest or topmost

Sonic- pertaining to sound; having a frequency within the audibility range of the human ear —used of waves and vibrations

Acrosonic - piano producing the highest or topmost sound waves and vibrations

Baldwin
Charles Walter
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I grew up on an Acrosonic spinet with much the same styling and finish. I inherited it upon my Mom's death and moved it into my home. It was the inspiration for taking up piano again after 20-odd years of not playing. The music desk and fallboard weren't quite so "fancy", though. It was a nice little piano and I parted with it with regret a year or so after acquiring my Kawai. I really needed the space in my bedroom that it had taken over upon its ejection from the living room, though.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission