2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 1,725 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
Hello,

It seems the Samick SU-118 has some fine components inside but considering the pianos in question are between 17-21 years old. Does it really matter anymore? The Samick has German strings, Royal George Felts, Delignit Pin Block. A pretty nice bass for it's size. It does seem to ring more (sustain), and is pretty bright & loud. Overall it is a nice piano.

My question is would the U1 be considered as a more advanced upright vs the Samick for more advanced playing. Tone, Touch, Dynamics. Would the Samick serve those purposes too, or is (was) it a beginner's piano?

I have heard conclusions and I have to draw my own, but since it's the beginning of the weekend, I want to hear your thoughts.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Bearing in mind I haven't seen either of these two particular pianos.. Assuming the pianos have had exactly the same use and care, the answer is the same as if they were new - Yamaha wins.

However, if the Samick was not a grey import and the Yamaha was, then I would go with the Samick.

The Samick has some good components, but you didn't mention its soundboard quality - that point needs verifying. It's probably not as good as in the Yamaha U1.

If you have played them both and distinctly prefer one of the two, then go with your own instinct.

Chris Venables
Venables Pianos
Yamaha Pianos, Petrof Pianos and Venables & Son
UK Grand Piano Centre.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
As Chris indicated, condition is king in evaluating used pianos. Condition together with your preference for touch and tone should guide your decision.

I think as a Yamaha dealer Chris is being very diplomatic on the parts issue. It has been common for some time for Asian makers in Korea, Indonesia, and China to use some European materials. This is to give their pianos some marketing sizzle. It's true that Roslau strings are found in some good pianos, but buying spools of Roslau wire doesn't give makers who use it an edge. Delignit pinblocks are usually twenty-ply or more sandwiches. Some techs like them. Others say there's too much phenolic bonding resin and too little beechwood to yield long-term stability. Royal George felt was formerly made in the UK. It is now produced by a Japanese company which outsources in China.

Don't be wowed by these and similar sizzle components. Yamaha doesn't do this sort of stuff because it doesn't need to. A U1 action has a proven pedigree. Enough said.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
P
OP Offline
P
From what I have researched, the soundboards of some Samicks, use three-ply laminated spruce soundboards, consisting of an inner core of solid spruce and two very thin outer veneers of spruce.

I also noticed a lot of Kawai Grey Market pianos might have laminated sound boards, I know the Kawai NS-15 does.

Yeah, the Yamaha will probably sound better each time you play it. It's surely versatile.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission