2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2018856 01/22/13 09:28 AM
K
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
K
It probably goes without saying that many of us have a memory of a vintage or modern upright that we've played at home or abroad, or possibly an instrument that we've worked many hours at learning repertoire.

Do any of the forum members regard these as pleasant experiences or not ? Is it possible to have a rewarding artistic relationship with an upright piano ?

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
I started out on an Acrosonic spinet. The happiest day of my life was when my parents bought an S&S-M. Need I say more?

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Karl Watson
It probably goes without saying that many of us have a memory of a vintage or modern upright that we've played at home or abroad, or possibly an instrument that we've worked many hours at learning repertoire.

Do any of the forum members regard these as pleasant experiences or not ? Is it possible to have a rewarding artistic relationship with an upright piano ?

Well Geez, sure it is possible to have a pleasing relationship with an upright piano. There are many avid amateur pianists that go a lifetime only playing upright pianos and I am sure they have had satisfying experiences.

The problem comes in after one has tasted better quality. For instance, after playing a particularly fine grand piano in our inventory, like a Bosendorfer Imperial, I cannot count how many times I have heard comments like, "I can never go back to my piano now." Of course, very few of those people actually purchase an Imperial. smile

As far as uprights, I feel there are a variety of qualities that can be very satisfying. From Knabe and Yamaha (dare I add Cunningham?) on the lower end, to a great midrange of Charles Walter, to Schimmel, Bechstein, and Bosendorfer on the high end.

Are you set on giving up your grand, Karl?

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
W
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
W
Is it possible to have a rewarding artistic relationship with an upright piano?

I love my upright.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
K
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
K
Rich -

I'm set on moving heaven and earth to avoid it ! However, our retirement digs will probably not allow for a grand, at least not something 6'4".

If we give up the dining room and convert same to a music room, it will mean eating in the kitchen, which is possible, I suppose, but not preferable. My father would regard that decision as socially backward.

But I may yet opt to do just that. How does one part with something that has become almost a family member ?

KMW

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
How does one part with something that has become almost a family member ?

One doesn't. wink

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
Certified Dampp-Chaser Installer
Richfield Springs, New York
From Knabe and Yamaha (dare I add Cunningham?) on the lower end, to a great midrange of Charles Walter, to Schimmel, Bechstein, and Bosendorfer on the high end.

Could it be that this week's upcoming NAMM show will once again show and newly introduce some other highly worthy candidates?

Norbert

B
B
If you don't know any better, it's possible to love any old piano, no matter how inadequate.

Like the little Yamaha console that I learnt on as a child. Even from new, it had a tendency to develop sticky keys, and its tone was tinny and strident, even at p (pp just wasn't possible on it). When pushed harder, it just became more strident. But I didn't know any better as a kid because it was the only piano I ever played on (as my teacher came to teach me at our home). That is, until my first piano exam.....

I encountered it again a few years ago, after a long period of time. And I have to say, absence hasn't made the heart go fonder.....

If music be the food of love, play on!
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
I had a big old upright in my starving-artist early 20's in San Francisco. And it worked very well for that period in my life. But I wouldn't go back.

And the less said about the spinet I practiced on as a beginner, the better. Incredibly, my brother still has that piano; even had it refinished! But he and his family don't play -- it's furniture.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Are you referring only to the very tall vertical pianos that are properly called uprights ... or to vertical pianos in general? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your question, but I dare say there are plenty of people who own and love their vertical pianos. Some of them/us even visit and post here on PW. smile

As for comparing verticals to grands, I think it's a mistake (unfortunately a fairly common one) to automatically assume that the first is inferior to the latter. As has been stated n these forums before, it's far better — helpful, enjoyable, artistically satisfying — to learn and play on a quality vertical than on a lousy grand.

Last edited by piano_deb; 01/22/13 02:20 PM.

Deborah
Charles Walter 1500
Happiness is a shiny red piano.
[Linked Image]
K
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
K
Dear Deborah -

I should have excluded any thought of spinets or anything shorter than about 45".

In particular, I have happy memories of my grandmother's very tall, vintage McPhail. I'm a second generation Interlochen camper and even as late as the early 60s, there were quite a number of turn of the century uprights in the pratice rooms there. In fact, I learned all the two part inventions on one during the Summer of '62. Wish I could remember the name of it, but I'm sure I spent at least four hours a day on it.

As for YOUR piano, I particularly like the feel of those long keys.

Karl Watson,
Staten Island, NY

I have had a few upright pianos, some better than others, but none of them new… I must say that I enjoyed them all and played them all a lot. Each time I upgraded it was an improvement over the last one (usually, but not always smile ). The nicest upright I owned was a 46” Petrof; it was a very nice piano, with a warm, mellow tone.

In the order I got them… 1969 42” Cable console, a decent piano (gave it to my 9 year old granddaughter); a 1969 Kohler & Campbell 46”studio, a more decent piano than the Cable (sold it for about what I had in it); a 1907 Conover 53”… I paid more than I should have and refinished the cabinet; I enjoyed it while and sold it to my sister-in-law for less than half of what I had in it (I’d never make it in the piano business smile ). Next was the 2001 Petrof 46”… a lovely piano; I sold it for just a few dollars more than I paid.

Next was an old early 1900’s Schiller; got it cheap ($75) and had a boat load of fun with it (got a YT video playing that piano with over 100,000 views). I sold the Schiller for $100 (made $25 on that one). Next, I happened upon a 1969 (I know, there is something about me and 1969 model upright pianos smile ) Kawai K48A upright; a lovely piano and it sounds almost as good as the Petrof; I still have the Kawai K48A and do not plan on selling it anytime soon. I also currently have a Baldwin 243 studio (46”) that I bought from a local college state surplus sale; I paid just over $500 for it and I like it a lot. I pound on it regularly.

I also have a recent project piano, an early 1900’s Conover/Cable 53” upright. I paid $50 for it and have done some restoration on it. I’m thinking I could probably sell it for a small profit, but that is not my goal in tinkering with old pianos. I’m after the “fun factor”.

Not to put a damper on this discussion, but my pride and joy is my 1978 Yamaha C7 grand (7’4”). It is a magnificent piano! Uprights have their place, but a grand piano is a wonderful instrument to own.

Now, if only I knew how to play a piano! smile

Can’t say that I’ve enjoyed any hobby as much as I’ve enjoyed my piano adventures! smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission