2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
77 members (20/20 Vision, amc252, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 15 invisible), 1,986 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Biizare Offline OP
OP Offline
Before my new piano is delivered I am remodeling some. I was worried about to much tile and the possiblity of echoing. The room the piano will be in is carpet, however the neighboring room areas are getting tile. The rooms are connected with large doorways and half walls. I have the option of putting carpet opposite the tile against a far wall, in hopes that any sound that would bounce off that wall could get muted and not echo back to me. If that makes any sense. My husband is against the idea of the extra carpet cause he just likes the look of tile better. This is my first piano, and so I have little experience with such things. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Piano World has been the best source of information I have found. I am considering myself very lucky to be here.

F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
Before installing anything on the far wall, try angling the piano a little so that when the lid is opened, sound is not projected directly at it. Soft decorative objects mounted in the openings above the half walls will break up sound waves and absorb some of them.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the forum, Biizare! smile

Seeing as it's always a good idea to please one's hubby when possible, I'd say go with the tile. You can always lay down lots of area rugs after the fact if you get too much echoing.

[edit: I somehow skimmed over the part that the piano is not yet delivered shocked ... disregard the following p.s.]
p.s. Do you have the piano yet? If so, make sure you have a cover or big drop cloth and keep the piano covered up when you're not playing to protect it from the inevitable construction dust.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Yup; haven't you heard? Husbands are always right. Do what the man says, and you will have a happy life. laugh Now, if I could just convince my wife.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Seriously, though . . . my piano is in my "great room." It is entirely tile, and there are 2 big windows and a pair of French doors leading to the patio. There's not a fiber of carpet in sight, and I think it sounds just wonderful. There's really no way to tell until you get the piano in there and try it out.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
1000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Biizare,

If you are talking about a delayed echo, that would probably not happen in a home environment. There is just too much stuff, such as furniture, that would break up the sound patterns. I think you are asking about acoustics and room resonance.

There is no way to predict, in advance, unless you hired one of the great concert hall acoustical designers. Often, that doesn't even work.

Relax and just finish up the remodeling project and see how the piano sounds when it is delivered. Even in an existing environment, a piano never sounds the same as it did in the showroom.

Are you getting a grand or a vertical? A grand, with the lid up, will cary more punch and what you hear will be more affected by the room acoustics, - echo. With the lid down and at the keyboard, you will hear a sound that is less affected by the room.

Yours is a great question. Unfortunately there are no concrete answers until the piano arrives.

Welcome to the PW forums!

Marty in Minnesota

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission