2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
76 members (amc252, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 15 invisible), 1,971 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally posted by Evaldas:
And like let’s say I must stick to the scale fingerings, so for example if a song is in key of F major, and RH fingering for F major is 12341234, right? So does it mean that I only use the four fingers for a song in F major?
Right back in the original post Evaldas said that. So I understood the question to be something like "in the key of F major, should I use the same fingers for the notes as I would use if I were playing the scale, i.e. 2 on G, 3 on A, regardless of comfort?"
And a number of people have answered this -no. The scale fingering is the fingering for the scale, when you are actually playing the scale. Sometimes in a piece you will have a passage with a scale or part of a scale, and often you will find the scale fingering will be the most comfortable. But everything else depends on the context. You will teach yourself good fingering habits if you use editions with fingering marked and learn from these. There is no right finger for a certain note like there is on, say, a woodwind instrument.

Now, if that was the question, I think it's been answered.

If that wasn't the question, then perhaps Evaldas could try again smile

Du holde Kunst...
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Thanks, currawong, but I think that summarizes what I did glean from the thread! Still, I remain mystified by these follow-ups by Evaldas:
So all-in-all what fingerings are better: scale, or the more comfortable?
So wait, did everyone thought that I was only talking about scales, and you thought that I'm "inventing a bicycle" by trying to use another fingering FOR scales? Well I must clear it out and say that I was talking about seperate notes, and not about scale sequences in them. Obviously I'm gonna use the right fingers to play the actual scales....
If we're talking about separate notes then (as the graphic examples illustrated) rather than scales, what do scale fingerings have to do with anything?

Steven

E
Evaldas Offline OP
OP Offline
E
"So I understood the question to be something like "in the key of F major, should I use the same fingers for the notes as I would use if I were playing the scale, i.e. 2 on G, 3 on A, regardless of comfort?""
Yep, that's what I meant wink

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
"So I understood the question to be something like "in the key of F major, should I use the same fingers for the notes as I would use if I were playing the scale, i.e. 2 on G, 3 on A, regardless of comfort?""
Yep, that's what I meant wink
So there's nothing wrong with my comprehension skills smile . Hope you're happy with the answer(s).

Du holde Kunst...
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Evaldas, now that the question as been defined and confirmed, do you believe you have an answer? If so, would it be possible to share what answer you found (if you feel like it)?

E
Evaldas Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Well obviously you're supposed to use the right fingering for scales, and for scores WITHOUT "scale passages" in them use the most comfortable fingering (if not indicated)

E
Evaldas Offline OP
OP Offline
E
A question (though not about scales - but I don't want to make another thread for this): I'm playing only for less than 3 weeks, should I be freaking out that I can't seperate my hands? I mean that I can't pretty much do different things, of course I can play one note with my left and then a melody with my right, but I can't let's say take a chord divide it into quarter note (or eight) arpeggio and play a melody with my right hand at the same time... So?

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Evaldas,
If at six months you can't do that I'd wonder.
If at three weeks you could do that I'd wonder.

gotta go practice
E
Evaldas Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Hey, I have a question:
In your opinion what's the best fingering for this bar:
[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission